Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: art vs. money

art vs. money

Hi all. I'm currently trying to study 7 star praying mantis, but my schedule is in the way. My sifu charges around $45 a month for three classes one hour each. I thought about paying around $60 or a bit more for two classes of an hour an half each, in order to complete the three hours. My question is, how much would you guys pay for good training? My sifu is a great martial artist, but i'm still considering other options. Oh well, any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Netfreak,

This is a little off-topic, but I'd suggest a weekly class of even only an hour is probably better than only one or two 'big' classes a month - the regularity is much more beneficial for hard-wiring your training to you.

Good Luck!

yeah it's a bit off topic, but from lots of places i've read, money is usually a concern for many students. but thanks for the advice

It's a question of priorities. I understand you might have studies, or family obligations which come first, but YOU decide how to use your 24 hours. I went to school and worked another 6 hours at night to get the money for training I wanted.

With it being the New Year, it may be a good time to assess what you want, and the steps you'll need to take to get it.

netfreak, is that 3 classes a week or 3 classes a month? Group or private?

$45-60/month for 3 group classes a week (or 2 longer classes) is not bad.

Either way, I feel your pain. My work schedule right now means I can only get 2 classes in a week.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

It's three classes a week. I just talked to him, and it will be me and someother guy. Practically, it's $45 a month for near personal training. He said i might be able to work something out too
    Yeah, my resolution is to be more organized, sing fu, and i'm going to make it a top priority. Thanks for the advice guys.

"The more you swet in training, the less you bleed in combat"

And here's me thinking three lessons a week

Sounds like you got yourself a good situation there Netfreak - all the best with it!!

location?

Hi Netfreak, where are you located? Sure can't be New York! Even bad teachers here charge a minimum of $100 a month for much less class time. My classes are twice weekly for 90 mins each. most students, however, opt for a delux membership which gives them all the classes 4X weekly. (Approx 12 hours each week). On top of that I hold monthly workshops and seminars. I only ask my students to commit to a mere 20 minutes of Zhan Zhuang everyday to practice at home on their own. Of course I'm happy if they do more.
    When I teach privately, I'd much rather have the student do a larger chunk of time less frequently. You need sufficient time to warm up as well as cool down, and you need time for lot of repititions so you don't forget. I feel so strongly about this that I offer steep discounts for additional time over an hour. Still, there are people set in their ways that don't mind paying extra to do one hour three times or four times weekly where two three hour sessions would surfice and cost $500-$800 less each month. Not to say that I'm not grateful for the extra income, but we Chinese don't like waste. I'm more content to see my students spend their time and money more efficiently.
    This is my view, but more important is what works for you and your teacher. Listen to his advice, but the final decision is yours. Good luck in your training!

First, your thread and profile are in question. You are studying 7* from a Great Martial Artist, at a very cheap price. Yet you are considering other options? Shame on you... Why learn Porche KF at VW prices? If your Shrfu is so good, he should charge accordingly. We all know the story of taking care of your Shrfu, because he is taking care of you. An exchange of energy so to speak...

Question:

Why do some people on kfo not give any info on their profile?

I agree with sing fu in that more shorter classes are better than a few longer ones. How often you train is more important than how long especially in the beginning. Unless you plan on training at home everyday on your own. If that's the case the longer classes would be fine but the expense is greater and you need to motivate yourself to train at home. Both the greater expense and sef-motivation are usually tough for beginners.

$45 a month for 3 1-hour classes per week is a good deal no matter where you live. As long as the Instructor is who he says he is you should be fine. Obviously a higher caliber Instructor will cost more. It depends on what value you place on your training and what's available in your area.

How long has your Sifu been in business? It sounds to me like he's starting out and trying to build a student base.

I think you’re mistaking instruction for training. Longer instruction and more personal training on that instruction is a good way to go. Often though class is the only time students get to practice, in that case shorter classes may be an advantage. I think it is best to practice more and let kung fu grow in you. If you need a class to practice and that’s the only time you train , I would thank you for your support of your teacher , but IMO you do not have the work ethic to go any where w/ your martial arts.As teachers we need to let new students now what it takes and motovate them so they see it for themselves
    Last edited by Art D; 01-05-2003 at 11:09 AM.

As for price I think that it is the market that sets the price. You can go to many schools that lets say are not the best that chare just the same and some times more than a good one. If it was based on abilities who could afford Master Chan and those like him

Training vs. Practice Time
    I am a big believer in practicing on your own. I generally can only make two class a week but will make it in to the school during non-class hours and go through my routine. Some of the other students that have started after I did, and have now past me in the curriculum because they make it to every class, but I am still going at my own pace and feel am I’m making good progress. I learned a long time ago that it’s not how many forms you know it’s how well you know them. Having a good teacher is important but if you want to be a true artist you have to put your time in on your own. I feel this is the only way to understand and figure things out for yourself. Learning at your pace and taking time on your own works better for me then rushing through only looking for the next movement. Not being big on New Years Resolutions I general don’t make one, but this year I feel differently and rather then trying to push myself, it may be more beneficial to relax and enjoy my training. So if your have a good teacher and are willing to push yourself the number of class is back seat to the quality of the teachings. But don’t forget to also take time to enjoy what your doing.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

wow....i never expected to receive so much input...THANKS A LOT EVERYONE. Now i understand about my profile and thread. So i will try to answer as best as i can. First, my sifu's instructor is in New York. Master Johnny Fung Sang i believe. My sifu's name is Victor Perez. He's teaching here in Puerto Rico. He's been at this (teaching) for quite a while, (i honestly don't know how long, something like ten years). Now, kung fu is not that widely recognized as an effective martial arts here in P.R. (**** THOSE JUJUTSU GUYS!!!!), but I believe in it. As for a good deal, well yeah, it is very interesting. Also, i practice plenty at home. I don't want to sound like i'm bragging because i'm not, but i think i learn pretty quick. It takes me a while (mostly because i'm nervous) but in the end i think i get it down. I hope the information i provided is useful to you guys, i encourage you to look it up. Also i should mention that i work as a security guard, by night, that means i got around eight hours to practice....LOL, i don't do much in my job, by the way mister dachengdao, is that NAN CHUAN you meant, the suthern chinese boxing form? well, thanks for everything everyone, let's keep in touch.

Where are you in Puerto Rico?

Practicing on your own is admirable! Yes it`s not how many forms ya know, but are you taught the two-person to your forms? From these 2-person forms, we pull out 2-person hand drills, 2-person kicking drills, and 2-person exercises... etc. Or are you like some schools that expect there Teachers/student`s to (figure out) what the technics should be? You can put your time in on your own, but does your teacher have the knowledge?

The ability of P.Chan is theatrical.To Afford P. Chan, one needs to only have money. But what is he going to to teach you? Another form, with NO application, NO application, umm no application! Wah Lum is an ok style for flashy forms and nice weapons. My question to Wal Lum folks, where has your Greats gone? Need I give names...