Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weightlifting as qigong?

1. Thumbs up

"Weight training can actually have positive effects on the strength of joints, muscles & tendons. In addition it can have very good effects on your circulation if done properly, and anyone will know after even a short workout with bicep-curls that their blood flood increases."

Yep.
    I have already posted but just want to put emphasis on the idea that any half-educated person should know this,this stuff works.
    I know I may have sound disturbing to some people sometimes with this but to avoid reliable exercise for supposed negative influences should be met with healthy skeptism unless objective research is done.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

In my taijichuan practice, one you have reached decent level of understanding of mascular relaxation, we perform the form very fast or with weight on our hands. So weight lifting itself is not a bad thing but doing it without good relaxation is bad for you. Decent weight lifting book gives very similar advice. Don't lock your joint and co-ordinate your breathing while you lift.

However, note of caution. Taichicuan instructor I know once had a bodybuilder in his class. When they did a standing posture exercise where one hold both of our arms horizontally suspended in the front, suprise suprise, the body builder who had rather massive arms could do it only three minutes.

Vapour,

To add another perspective, when I taught t'ai chi at my local University, I had 2 guys come to the class directly after several hours of bodybuilding and working out in the gym. Both built up the endurance and relaxation to hold postures such as embracing the One for several minutes without a problem. It took them the course of 3-6 months, but they only had great things to say about t'ai chi and the benefits they received afterwards. I do a bit of lifting myself these days and always follow it up by some t'ai chi empty standing and relaxation techniques. I have had no problems.

4. Thumbs up

Yes,no problems with lifting.
    Whoever claims it is universally threatening should reconsider seriously.

To post something funny I could mention that Yang Jwing Ming states that exercises like jogging&WEIGHTLIFTING are a "kind of" qi-gong exercise.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

weight lifting is qigong in my opinion