Thread: Has anyone heard of this style? Is It legit 'Hok Se Tong Long Kune'

Has anyone heard of this style? Is It legit 'Hok Se Tong Long Kune'

Told to me by a friend of a friend who said he didn't know much of it but heard they were good. What I want to know is is this an old style passed down? Or does it look like a combination of 3 styles Crane, Praying Mantis and Snake? Was there ever a style that had these 3 combined? Only found one site on the internet relating to it and that is the actual school, and it looks like they teach a bit of BAGUA too? I am just confused is this a 'collecters art' or a hybrid?
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

I can't where they say they teach Bagua.
    The bagua is mentioned in the section dealing with taoist philosophy, but then the bagua & wu-xing are both used in many arts to explain training concepts.

The only thing that is missing from the site is info on where the guy learnt the crane/snake/praying mantis from, & any sort of lineage/history.

This doesn't mean that the style is a modern hybrid, but does kind of imply it.

Who knows????
    Go check them out!

Colin..................
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

colin

This is Taoboys school!

FT

Hi grogan.

This is my school.

In simple terms the art is a 'hybrid' as it incorporates the principles of Tai Chi into Chow Gar Tong Long. However, it is not a modern style - the development has taken many years.

The animals represent the styles - Mantis for Chow Gar and Snake & Crane for Tai Chi. The are simply metaphors.

We don't teach Ba Qua but do use the theory of eight directions in our style.

It is a very effective system and I would recommend it to anyone (especially those interested in short range, southern styles). In fact it has many similarities to Yau Kung Mun (refer to Fiercest Tiger) and even Bak Mei...

If you want more info, please PM me.

---

Colin,

Info on lineage etc. will be added to the site shortly. Currently, we have chosen to not use any names on the site as we do not want any part of CMA politics. Feel free to call the school if you are interested.

Peace.
    Last edited by TaoBoy; 01-07-2003 at 09:28 PM.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Tao Boy

Just a little observation :

On the site it says something like 'the styleHok Sek TongLong has its originsat shaolin temple'.

However why not mention that it is an almagamation or development of the two styles Chow Ga Tong Long [HAKKA] and Taijiquan [WUDANG/NEIJIA/...andalso which Taijiquan].Otherwise ittends to imply that it is its own style with a longhistory and having basis at shaolin whilst sharing little qualities with mainstream shaolin.

Interesting mix though it seems however that it would have a similarity to Yau Gung Mun (BakMei-ChowGa, YauGung-Taiji)

Regards
    Wu Chan Long

Hi TaoBoy

Hi,
    There was no disrespect intended, and I hope none taken.

I know Master Paul Whitrod of Chow Gar SPM here in London, and his kung fu is amazing!
    He also now teaches Xing Yi, Bagua & Tai Chi too, so although they are not combined as such i'm sure certain influences cross over.

Do you know of Master Man Sek Wing here in London?
    He is a 5th gereration master of Chow family Tong Long too, but also combines/teaches a full internal system. Check out his site www.southernmantis.co.uk

It's interesting to see how people with such extensive knowledge are expanding the internal side of their arts.

Within Lau Gar (my style) Master Yau focuses alot more on the internal side than he used to.
    The days of lau Gar being predominately competition based are passing, as more of the senior sifu (and not so senior like me) are choosing to once again follow the traditional path.

cheers
    Colin........
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

Shaolin Master

Originally posted by Shaolin Master

On the site it says something like 'the styleHok Sek TongLong has its originsat shaolin temple'.

However why not mention that it is an almagamation or development of the two styles Chow Ga Tong Long [HAKKA] and Taijiquan [WUDANG/NEIJIA/...andalso which Taijiquan].Otherwise ittends to imply that it is its own style with a longhistory and having basis at shaolin whilst sharing little qualities with mainstream shaolin.
    All fair comments. I am awaiting a revised introduction from my instructor who has more knowledge in this area than I do. The reference to the Shaolin temple is simply to show the root. As with most styles we can trace back to the temple through many generations although we are not a Shaolin style per se.

Thanks for these suggestions.

Interesting mix though it seems however that it would have a similarity to Yau Gung Mun (BakMei-ChowGa, YauGung-Taiji)
    Correct. We much in common with other southern, internal styles.
    Last edited by TaoBoy; 01-08-2003 at 05:22 PM.

Colin

Originally posted by Colin
    Hi,
    There was no disrespect intended, and I hope none taken.
    No offence taken, Colin.

I know Master Paul Whitrod of Chow Gar SPM here in London, and his kung fu is amazing!
    He also now teaches Xing Yi, Bagua & Tai Chi too, so although they are not combined as such i'm sure certain influences cross over.
    I understand Sifu Whitrod is very good. I would like to visit him one day (if I get the chance). His lineage is similar to ours (back a few generations).

Does anyone know what happened to his website?

Do you know of Master Man Sek Wing here in London?
    He is a 5th gereration master of Chow family Tong Long too, but also combines/teaches a full internal system. Check out his site www.southernmantis.co.uk
    No, I don't know of Master Man Sek Wing.

It's interesting to see how people with such extensive knowledge are expanding the internal side of their arts.

Within Lau Gar (my style) Master Yau focuses alot more on the internal side than he used to.
    The days of lau Gar being predominately competition based are passing, as more of the senior sifu (and not so senior like me) are choosing to once again follow the traditional path.

All very interesting - the internal side is great. I believe it is a much overlooked area but should be left to the more advanced stages of martial development. When I get to teaching I will endeavour to teach the external side initially then the internal side.

Checking out the Lau Gar site now.

Peace.
    Last edited by TaoBoy; 01-08-2003 at 05:23 PM.

Firstly,

Hi to all.

I have observed this forum for about one month now with much interest. Thought it was high time I had some input.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Shaolin Master

On the site it says something like 'the style Hok Se Tong Long has its origins at shaolin temple'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hok Se Tong Long is just a name referring to the emphasis of three animals. Crane Snake and Praying Mantis.

Chow Gar Tong Long is the basis of this kung fu style. The name change is important in that it would be wrong to call it Chow Gar since the emphasis of the style and other elements has changed.

It is well known to true Chow Gar masters that Chow Gar has it's own internal elements or soft side.

As I understand it.... The 3 Chow Gar Masters, that felt it necessary to make changes to the Chow Gar System also had vast experience in Tai Chi especially the Yang derivative taught to them by the Cheng Man Ching lineage. What they observed was that their students who were studying both Tai Chi and Chow Gar were able to defeat those that were simply studying Chow Gar.

They did not at any stage simply mix the two arts to make a new system but instead looked deep into Chow Gar and decided on placing far more emphasis on the southern white crane and snake techniques that are embedded in Chow Gar as developed originally be Lau Soei (Sui). It is well documented that Chow Ah Nam was taught Shaolin Animal Styles and simply adapted the concepts of the Mantis to what he already new. This is also true of Lau Soei who was already well versed in Southern style animal techniques including Crane and Snake when he met Wong Fook Go his SPM instructor.

Another difference is that the HSTL incorporates sparring, if not somewhat controlled, other than adopting the 'No Sparring' attitude of traditional Chow Gar Tong Long. Training Jongs (chongs/partner drills) is still vitally important but it is supplemented by the more freedom of movement and expression that sparring can offer.

The forms too have been adapted and in some cases been completely re-designed.

So does the style have it's origins at the Shaolin Temple?? ... of course it does but what does that really mean anymore??

Complete respect to all the Chow Gar Masters especially Great Grand Master Yip Shui.

Cheers,

Kungfumad