Thread: Going to start bjj..

Going to start bjj..

It looks as though I'm going to have the chance to begin training in BJJ in addition to boxing (western). I am recovering from stress fractures in both legs and I am wondering if this will be a problem. Also, is there anything I should know before i start?

thanks
    adam
    "That is because you are stupid"
    -Zorro

Re: Going to start bjj..

Originally posted by lowsweep
    It looks as though I'm going to have the chance to begin training in BJJ in addition to boxing (western). I am recovering from stress fractures in both legs and I am wondering if this will be a problem. Also, is there anything I should know before i start?

thanks
    adam
    It's bloody hard work.
    You will get thrashed by everyone for a while.
    It's all worth it.
    You'll love it.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

TAOBOY

Can you please tell me as you seem to be affiliated to the Melbourne academy of Kung-fu & Tai Chi where the lineage for the Yang Family Tai Chi comes from? It doesn't mention it on the profile and merely says that it is taught. Looking at the syllabus for the Tai Chi forms it most certainly doesn't look like at all that it comes from the Yang family. This is why I'm questioning it as it seems like a more than obvious anomaly. Where did they priciple instructors get their Yang Family Tai Chi from may I ask???
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

The stress fractures can be a problem - bjj uses leg locks and you don't want to do anything to slow the healing of your legs. Just make sure you let them know, that way they don't do any leg locks or knee bars on you.

it will be an exhausting workout - extremely exhausting. But, if you like hard training, then you'll love every minute of it.

If you have trained before and were good at what you were doing, check your ego at the door if you have one, because you will get repetitively mauled your first several months in bjj and if you have ego problems, that may lead you to leave the school.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

You can expect to get very big and gain a lot of muscle. Jiu jitsu will make you huge!! You probably won't feel the need to lift weights anymore

Re: TAOBOY

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Can you please tell me as you seem to be affiliated to the Melbourne academy of Kung-fu & Tai Chi where the lineage for the Yang Family Tai Chi comes from? It doesn't mention it on the profile and merely says that it is taught. Looking at the syllabus for the Tai Chi forms it most certainly doesn't look like at all that it comes from the Yang family. This is why I'm questioning it as it seems like a more than obvious anomaly. Where did they priciple instructors get their Yang Family Tai Chi from may I ask???
    Hey RM,

The tai chi area of the website needs some attention and some of the data may be incorrect. My apologies for that.

My instructor is under the continued tuition of Master Tang Lai Wei who is one of Master Wu Bin's top students. The Yang forms taught at my school are those taught at the Beijing Wushu Institute.

I hope that answers your question.

[Sorry the reply took so long.]

Cheers.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

ATTN Lowsweep

How's the BJJ coming along?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

F*ck yes it's gonna be a problem. Good luck anyway.
    K. Mark Hoover

What's BJJ? Is that Jiu-Jitsu?

Brazillian Jui Jitsu, popularized in part by the Gracie family.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Wink

Now I remember. Thanks, my man.

How could you forget that?!