Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Shou questions!

San Shou questions!

I was thinking of going back to USA late this year/early next year for about a year. And i was HOPING to train Wrestling and striking more (as well as the Jiu-Jitsu). So i was thinking either take wrestling and Thai Boxing seperate, but then i remember my KFO roots! All the San Shou talk.

So here are the questions, do you learn good wrestling in San Shou? Do you think my time would be better used spending for example 3-4 months at a good San Shou school training as many times a day as i could. Or tran 1,5-2 months at a wrestling place and 1,5-2 months at a Thai Boxing place?

And also, i don't suppose there are any good San Shou schools that have multiple classes a day (at least 2) and are either cheap to be at, or offer some kind of live'in program to train there?
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

I thought you were dead?
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Nah, just left for 3 months to USA and been lurking since i got back, answer some posts.

All we need now is ryu, old jong, watchman, and some bacon sammiches!

and a few others like JWT et al.

can't forget the loyal soldiers of KFO.

(I am so very, very bored)

Well 3-5 months at one school isnt' gonna teach you must in any style.

If you're into san shou, you should train muay thai. If you're good at that, then you can fight san shou. San Shou is just a general term for free fighting anyways. You cannot use your knees and elbows thats' all.

There's no difference in the way people fight "san shou" here in the US than kikcboxing, except the throws.

You can train shuai chiao or judo to get your throws. Or you can just find a good san shou school because they should teach you throws as well.

Stick with one school at least a year.

***kung fu books***

Its more than the post above says guy.

I have seen many guys who are great at punching and kicking (in thinking of a TDK guy mostly here) who have then gone on to learn to throw and have gotten very good at it.

Now the problem with this is how fast you can flow from striking to grappeling.

Unless you learn them together they will be seperate things.

And all the Thai boxers I har fought in San Shou were easy and got thrown all over the place. The only time I saw a "good" san shou fight with thai boxers was when it was 2 thai boxers against each other.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

That's something along the lines what i was thinking about. Learning takedowns with striking would propably flow better from a MMA perspective then to learn them seperate since i'll never compete in wrestling seperately.

San Shou is just a general term for free fighting anyways. You cannot use your knees and elbows thats' all.

There's no difference in the way people fight "san shou" here in the US than kickboxing, except the throws.

You can train shuai chiao or judo to get your throws. Or you can just find a good san shou school because they should teach you throws as well.

This is what happens when you when you ask anonymous people about fighting..

For the record, let’s just kill this “sanshou is just a general term”. Perhaps originally this was true but in modern times it is not. Similar to “wushu” which at one time may have meant war art, but is now the label for contemporary acrobatic forms (contemporary wushu) Many kungfu guys would be “offended” if I told them they did wushu, just as I’d be offended if they said they did sanshou and were windmill slapping each other around in their kwoons with safetychops.. Sanshou is now a distinct and clear “style”.

The aspect of the throw and takedown completely changes the manner in which you fight. The same with throwing.

For sanshou you must train sanshou. While judo, muay thai, and wrestling are excellent and provide good skills that are used in sanshou, training one without the other elements will make big holes in your skills. You need to practice striking with the awareness that you are susceptible to the throw. You need to practice throws and takedowns with the danger of being punched/kicked.. Same for the clinch whether its for offensive nature, or defensive.

And just a few months? I’d practice boxing. Never underestimate good hand skills.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I agree with ShaolinTiger00, I think the whol fact that you can throw and be thrown makes you change the way you would fight.

Where in the US will you actually be. This is a pretty big place. Each state has dozens, if not hundreds of schools.

But only 7 schools with full time San Shou at a national level.

Baltimore
    Boston
    Houston
    New York
    Oakland
    Ohio
    San Jose
    "Information is power"

www.Boston-Kickboxing.com

Well, originally i will propably be close to LA (Irvine California to be exact) but i can pretty much travel anywhere if it means i can live/train full time there. The purpose of my trip is to train, so i just go where the good schools are. Might even go to brazil

HOWEVER I was thinking that i'd like to try and stay in new york for a while, sounds like a city i'd enjoy more then other places in USA (i understand that strangers are rude to you in NY, so i'll like it there).
    Last edited by qeySuS; 01-06-2003 at 03:55 PM.

If you want to come to NY, we have two different locations

NYKK Gym
    336 W 37th Street
    (212) 239-8619

NYKK Gym
    43 W 24th street
    (212) 242-2453

Both gyms are fully equipmed and have San Shou classes 6 days a week...

Is there a morning and evening class?