Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History on the 5 famous staff forms of China

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Hey Paul:

You are correct in that you should train both sides of the body (left and right). Although our spear set is a left-handed set at the end of the form, we shift to the right side. Not only that, most of our two man sets are performed with the right hand lead, where there is only one set that uses left hand lead. And at the end of the left-hand lead two-man set, we shift to a right-hand lead.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

illusionfist Guest
    Lots of cool staff forms listed, but what about Quan Yeung Kwun (shepards staff)? I think that i have also heard it referred to as 5 tigers catch the lamb staff. I know that many northern systems have this form and i also know there is a ching wu rendition of it as well.

As was stated by bean curd, i did not know there were five famous staff forms in china. It seems like many systems replicate the names but yet the forms are usually different from their predecessors.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wah Ren Jie Guest
    Je Lei Sifu, Hey bro!!! You are correct. The Yee family does practice the Yang 5th brother spear form.

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Sei Ping Dai Ma;

Do you also know some of the Yee family members? They are very well mannered and professional in the way the carry themselves.

Much respect to all of them and also to youl

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

FUJIYakumo Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was wondering if anybody knows what the five (5) famous staff forms of China are and what system they belong to. Also do the staff forms have any order to them. I believe a couple of the staff forms are:

(1) MAD DEVILS LEFT HAND STAFF FORM - Hung Fot
    (2) YANG GA NG LONG BAHT GWA KWUN (Yang Family 5th brother eight diagram pole - HUNG GA

[/quote]

here is an article you might be interested in.
    http://www.wingchunkuen.com/chusauli...ungfumun.shtml

"The Flying Dragon/Tiger Gate system, also known as the Fei Lung Fu Mun, brought to the United States by late Lui Yon Sang (Lei Ren Sheng) of Guang Zhou"

------------------

bean curd Guest
    fujiyakumo,

thanks for the site , it is greatly appreciated, most enjoyable reading.

hung fist,

just a thought, when you where refering to the five famous staff forms, did you actually mean to say the five famous staff styles????.

if so, then i understand your question, although, the "mad devil staff" of hung fut is not in this five.

it is said in chinese history and martial tradition that all staff forms came from five styles, those being -

1. tai tsu kun, (first emperor's staff techniques) created by chao k'uang yin of the sung dynasty.

2. as you have so said, ng yang ba gwa gwun, (fifth brother eight diagram staff techniques), created by fifth brother yang.

3. wu sung gwan, (wu sung staff techniques), created by wu sung of the sung dynasty, which is also known as the "travellers staff",

4. t'u hsing sun (earth traveler staff techniques)of the chou dynasty, and

5.sun, (the traveller), who is depict in the famous chinese novel "western pilgrimage", who was known for the monkey staff techniques, and also the six and half point techniques.

to the above five there is also the "lohan gwun faht"., (lohan staff techniques), which is also the forfather of many family style staff forms

regards

HungFist Guest
    bean curd,

I want to thank you & everyone else because I had no idea that this thread would keep going on like this. I honestly thought that I would get my answer after I started the post. You guys and gals(just in case) have given me so much information on things I knew nothing about I'am overwhelmed !

I was however reffering to the 5 FAMOUS STAFF FORMS OF CHINA. I want everyone to know that I'll be the first to say that I may be wrong in assuming that there are 5 FAMOUS STAFF FORMS OF CHINA. Maybe bean curd is wright in suggesting that maybe it is the FIVE FAMOUS STAFF STYLES instead.

I really wish there was more written historical material to get to the bottom of this thread.

Thanks again to all who contributed hopefully one day we will slove this one.

Wah Ren Jie Guest
    Je Lei Sifu:

Do-je Sin Saang for the kind words. I do happen to be familiar with Some of the members of the Yee's family. It's good to see that the concept of friendship and brotherhood is still alive among martial artists. I always felt that was the difference between a Martial Artist and a Martial Athelete. YOU are clearly a Martial Artist. Peace.

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Sei Ping Dai Ma

m sai doh-je;

Doh-je nei yau sam [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img](Thank you for you kindness)

All props due to you my friend.

Much Love

Peace

Je Lei Sifu