Thread: traditional chinese weapons: archery, crossbow and gun

Hybrid View

Question traditional chinese weapons: archery, crossbow and gun

Some lists of the 18 forms of martial arts shaolin masters would master include gun, crossbow and archery.

This historical influence is seen today in Korea, where traditional half-bows (recurve) and crossbows are practiced as a form of martial art, and in Japan, where archery, horseback archery and flintlock rifle/cannon systems are stil extant.

I'd like to know if any traditional chinese systems still involve historical training in these mid-to-long range field weapons today?

SF

I the only bow art left that i can think of is kyu do (is that the right name?). The Japanese Bow art with the odd shaped bow.

As for long range martial practice in general i have always thought it was odd that no one theaches throwing items other than ninja.......if you can call ninjutsu a martial art.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Liokault, I don't know about chinese archery, but there are several japanese, filipino and indonesian styles dealing with throwing projectiles. Chinese too ofcourse, but I dont think it's easy to find.

I think perhaps the main issue is that ranged weaponry is pretty much an entirely different discipline that requires entirely different training and entirely different space considerations and equipment. Does anyone here study at a kwoon that could easily accomodate an archery range? Javelin? Riflery?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

The chinese throwing weapons I have heard of is small daggers and coins(!).

I think Chang Style Novice has hit it right on the head about long range field weaponry requiring completely different training, place to train and equipment.

In japanese gunnery (hojutsu) enthusiasts practice set forms in repetition, as well as dismantling/refiguring the weapon in weekly practice, and then do their actual target shooting maybe once monthly at a regular firing range, but plus their wierd get-up.

Kyudo people are fairly common in Japan, so you find lots of martial arts centers run by the municipalities have traditional archery facilities. I don't think crossbows ever took off in Japan though.

In Korea traditional archery and crossbow are taught by seperate groups from hand-to-hand martial arts. I think in both Korean and Japanese cases, the number of people cross-training in both hand-to-hand and range projectile weapons is small.

Looking at some books on traditional chinese weapons, we see throwing coins, ballbearings, powders, darts, knives, needles, blowpipes, slings, bow/arrow, crossbow, cannons. I guess some of these could be practiced today in a martial arts hall, but am really interested in knowing if any traditional groups still do the archery, crossbow or gun.

I think that they are still practiced in some locations.

One problem I see is that many of those weapons are illegal in many locations and thus often teachers are limited as to what they can teach out of the whole curriculum.

Thus extra steps might be needed to teach those weapons.
    Example:
    Sharpened Swords need to be licenced and their purchase, storage and care is controlled by the Law in Japan.

The other aspect is how many people would be interested in learning those aspects.
    Does it justify the expenditure of training area, gear, etc?

I know that some traditional training methods don't make sense until certain gear is provided.

Example:
    Some footwork in Aikido and other arts looks weird and strange till the practicioner puts on a Hakama and than it makes perfect sense.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for your reply Laughing Cow

I have the feeling most arts these days focus on individual combat, excluding those long range, and some battlefield arts that still exist to this day. The cost of flintlock rifles etc is about the same as a good sword, plus all the accessories etc - makes it a pleasant pastime for people with lots of disposable income and time on their hands!

I wonder if Lion Dance might be considered training for group warfare - the use of drums/symbols etc for signalling and troop advancement, some formations used in group lion dance could be used for troop formations etc, the way western armies drill marching?

ttt 4 2017!

I have no use for a fidget spinner, but I can get behind this.

WORLD
    FIDGET SPINNERS ARE THE OLD THING, NOW IT'S ABOUT THE TOOTHPICK CROSSBOW IN CHINA
    BY ELEANOR ROSS ON 6/22/17 AT 7:08 AM
    Fidget Spinners: What's The Fuss About?

Handheld miniature crossbows designed to shoot toothpicks are the latest trending toy in China. But this is no innocuous fidget-spinner. Parents have raised concerns that the toy crossbows can be loaded with nails, glass, and other ‘ammunition.’ The crossbows can be bought for just $1 and tests have shown that, if loaded with a needle, the crossbow can shatter glass if fired directly at it.

Man demonstrating toothpick crossbow in China.
    STR/AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Worried parents say that the crossbow is more than just a toy and could be used as a weapon. Chinese parents have taken to Weibo, China’s social media platform, asking schools to ban them. One poster said: “Hurry up [and ban them], pupils do not understand and are just shooting people for fun. It will cause accidents sooner or later.”

Another parent said: “They’re very dangerous.”

Shop owners told Shanghai Daily that the new toy is so popular it sells out so quickly that they need to keep re-ordering new stock, while online videos show how kids can make their own.

Chengdu has banned the toothpick crossbows, which are used to fire at everything from signs to other students. The craze is most popular among primary and middle school pupils. Police in Chongqing's Jiulongpo district reported 15 crossbow injuries to children.

Fidget spinners have been a craze among kids for the last few months, a toy that spins on the hand rather than on a table.

Spinners have been touted as a way for kids to help control ADHD. The toys have also sparked blogs, videos, and forum conversations about how to do tricks, inspiring one garage in Russia to make a fidget spinner out of three cars.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

翔鷹武器 👉超級致命牙籤弩👈!精簡版介紹 !

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now I must recant my earlier statement.

I suppose this was inevitable. Every time there's a nice weapon, someone's got to go and abuse it. This is why we can't have nice things.'

Osaka restaurant manager arrested for shooting dozens of toothpicks into face of employee
    Master Blaster 3 hours ago

Victim was also said to have flaming tissues shoved up nose.

During the day, Yakiniku GyuuGyuu was like any other Korean barbecue restaurant found all over Osaka Prefecture, serving prime cuts of meat for the customers to grill to their liking on open flames right at their tables. However, on some nights this yakiniku restaurant took a dark, B-Movie-esque turn for one of its employees.

The unidentified victim is reported to have endured a barrage of physical attacks over the course of months during 2017. On 10 January of this year, the shop’s 42-year-old owner Masao Mukai, his 26-year-old wife and employee, and 25-year-old manager were all arrested in connection with the three counts of assault and one count of causing bodily injury.

The first incident occurred in July of 2017 when the three suspects allegedly hit the 35-year-old victim in the face dozens of times with a piece of lumber. Another time involved pouring boiling hot water onto the man’s buttocks and thighs.

▼ News report showing the three suspects including Mukai (pictured with a dandelion up his nose)

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Also, in October of 2017 the threesome are charged with tying the victims hands together, placing a piece of tissue on a piece of wire, lighting it on fire, and then shoving it up the victim’s nose, causing burns.

But the most severe incident was when the three suspects allegedly used a “decorative” toy bowgun small enough to fire toothpicks into the victim’s face dozens of times. According to police, who confiscated the 10-by-12-centimeter (four-by-five-inch) gun, it was capable of firing toothpicks at speeds of up to 100 kilometers per hour (62 miles per hour).

▼ These toys have been the source of controversy in China recently, with many calling for their regulation.

Although the victim had already resigned from the restaurant following the toothpick incident, his family contacted the police who led an investigation back to Yakiniku GyuuGyuu. Upon arresting Mukai, they checked his phone and found images of the victim with toothpicks embedded in his face.

Readers of the news were equally troubled by both the increasing number of assaults in the workplace and the dangers of such a hazardous toy floating around.

“Unfortunately, this news is probably only going to make those things more popular.”
    “Where do they sell these?”
    “What would they have done if it hit his eye?”
    “Those things can pierce an apple or chunk of meat. Only a savage would point it at someone’s face.”
    “The guy was 35 and had to work in a place like that…”
    “This has got to be a health code violation too. That’s a restaurant, right?”

According to police, Mukai admitted to the charges saying that he and the victim had “money trouble,” and that he had “embezzled money from the restaurant.” The amount that is claimed to have been embezzled is unclear but it must have been a lot to trigger such a vicious response, unless the victim had the unfortunate luck of stealing from a group with a latent bloodlust to begin with.

Either way, it’s fair to say that if you’re faced with an employer who has an above-average interest in weaponry, poison seeds, or martial arts, you ought to be on your best behavior…or better yet, pursue a career elsewhere.

Source: Kyodo News, Sankei News West, Itai News
    Top image: YouTube/Ningen-channel
    Mini toothpick crossbows might need their own indie thread soon, especially as regulation nears.

Has anyone here actually played with one of these yet?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips