Thread: Trapping

Trapping

I am a real fan of trapping whether it be Kali or Wing Chun style my thing is this I don't want to go into the old argument does trapping work I just have a question?

Is ther anyone out there that has actually used it in a fight (not sparring or a tournament) and it worked for them..? If so can you go into details.

thanks in advance!

Trapping In Fights!

Hello Lews!

Yes, trapping definitely works if you have done your homework and put in the hours necessary to functionalize it! I have used pak sao and lop sao in real fight situations.

Once, a guy was driving recklessly and I stopped for a red light and he skidded to a stop behind me, almost rear-ending my car! He got out of his car cursing and approached my car from the driver's side. It was in the summertime and my window was down. He proceeded to attempt to reach into the car. As he did so, I lop saoed his arm and slammed his face into the top of my doorframe! I think he probably lost a few teeth on that one! I drove off when the light changed, leaving him lying in the crosswalk!

Once on a bouncer job, a guy tried to punch me in the face with a right cross. I pak saoed his arm down and hit him full in the face with a right lead straight punch! He was still unconscious when the police came and took him away!

There are more incidences where I used trapping in real fights, but these two I remember very vividly! Most of the fights I have been in ended quickly with no need for trapping, but it's good to know it's there if you need it! Anyone else?
    Keep Blasting!
    Sifu Lamar M. Davis II
    Certified Full Instructor
    HARDCORE JEET KUNE DO CHINESE GUNG FU ASSOCIATION
    http://www.HardcoreJKD.com
    Sifu@HardcoreJKD.com

"Hit First, Hit Fast & Hit Hard ....... ALWAYS!"

I dont think Ive really ever been in a 'real' encounter. I use trapping all the time, sparring and just playing around, I am a trapping fool.
    strike!

Trapping in the real deal can be a little weird... cuz you are used to having a partner that is willing to bridge. When its the real deal you cant "chase hands" or you will eat fist. You just need to focus on attacks/blocks until you begin to get energy from their movements (as soon as you make contact in any way)... by then it should be natural to "feel it out" One thing is... most people practice sensitivity but they dont focus on delivering a powerful stroke once they find their opening. I know most people in class just simply slap or touch. Ask yourself... with the openings I find in training... can I deliver a blow capable of trembling force? If not then its really not a viable tactic for you yet... and you need to train more (not in striking per se but in the ability to create openings that you can easily transition into a powerful attack). For the most part, trapping does work... but its all in the application. Another thing... keep in mind that when trapping, it usually ties up at least one of your arms... thus when it comes time to strike you will not be generating your max power since your body machanics are stunted. Dont expect your first hit to be anything other than a shocker/stunner. ALWAYS be prepared to throw the follow-up strike using your full body stroke to stop it there. Finally, trapping is generally taught using orthodox moves for the sake of training. There is a good chance that most peeps you will encounter wont be trained... so expect some off the wall... strange angle... flailings that you may not be ready for... other than that... keep your cool.
    Last edited by Losttrak; 01-07-2003 at 11:03 AM.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

i agree with sifu davis. if you put in the time & develop the sensitivity, you will trap well. every real fight (and sparring session, for that matter)i've been in since ive been training has ended up with some type of trapping.
    Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit.

Verry nice posting Losttrak

Just a short note on trapping.
    I belive the trap should be a byproduct from strikeing (or the intent to strike.)
    I find if you intend to trap you will have a much harder time,but if you intend to strike the oppenants reactions to block, will make trapping much easer.

TRAPPING WORKS!
    C.A.G.