Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kill Bill

I'm not 100% on that tidbit, but I know he trained them on how to use the swords.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Donnie Yen ,Jet Li, Jacky CHan and sammo hung!

These guys can do a REAL KUNG FU MOVIE. Because they are good enough and have what it takes.

i dont see the point in making a martial arts flick with actors who dont know kung fu or any other martial art for that matter.The way the fight scenes are shot indeed to cover up the fact that the actors have no skills. Donnie Yen made this point quite well in an interview he did about Iron Monkey.His famous kicking scene in Iron Monkey showed quite well that he is able to kick to a high standard.so i dont think Kill bill will surprise me at all.

Jet Li has made some disastrous attempts in Hollywood, i say donnie yen all the way!

I don't go to movies to see high-kicking demonstrations.

Jeez-louise, if that was all there was to movies, why would ANYONE watch them?

That said, hell yeah! Jackie Chan! Sammo Hung! Yuen Biao! Ya-Kar Leung! Gordon Liu! That's what I call kungfu movies!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

we're busted illustionfist...

...I guess all these guys crying in their beers about "real kung fu movies" well, they don't know the estatic relief of a pee break at the end of Kill Bill. Aaaaaahhhh....

Beer and martial arts movies. Two great tastes that go great together!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

When Kill Bill comes out on DVD, I'm going to buy a copy to keep on hand in case there's an emergency and I need to induce vomiting.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Finally saw it. Liked the gushing blood, loved the soundtrack, but I really wish there had been some character development to go with the (surprisingly good, I thought) action sequences.

Oh, and the long meandering steadicam shot when Bleeep was infiltrating the House of Blue Leaves was to die for.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

KB v.1 as a rorshach test

It's been getting fascinating reviews. Most film critics love it because Tarantino's vision is so refereshing. Most guys love it because it's a guy film. It goes especially good with beer, except for the last scene. Most martial arts film fans who lived through the '70's love it because it's such witty satire. But for many, it's too shocking or they take it too seriously. Either a love or hate type of movie.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies7/KillBillI.htm

Interesting. Here's my buddy Scott's review of it, and Rotten Tomatoes puts it in the fresh bin. This despite the phrase "ultimately ... Kill Bill: Volume 1 (is) a less than satisfying night at the movies" and other passages even less kind.

I'm with Scott - I think it's really less than half a movie, and am pretty dissappointed in Tarantino's regression. "Jackie Brown" was his most mature work yet, and it looks like "Kill Bill" will be his most immature.

Still, it's plenty of fun, and heck, most classic kungfu extravaganzas aren't really quite half a movie themselves. The action in KB1 is far inferior to the better Shaw Brothers and their various imitators' stuff, but the quality of filmmaking is much superior - like that orgasma-tastic steadicam shot I mentioned in my last post.
    Crippled Avenger

I agree with a lot of this stuff. I just saw it myself.

The steady cam shot was awesome. Loved the soundtrack, loved all the homage - so much crammed in there. I just kept being reminded of so many other films and/or filmmakers and actors.

Tarantino said that this movie was for himself, it was his tip of the hat to everything he loved growing up with movies, so it's kinda destined to be immature in that sense. But I think it's his most mature to date with the technique used to make it. The sound right across the movie was awesome, not just the soundtrack. The colours, the cinematography, the sequences, all great.

I was a little disappointed with some of the close-up and cut sequence fights, but, like has been said, they're to cover up the actors lack of skills. Although I did really dig the silhouette fight with the gang and Uma - that was beautiful. And a great touch when she finished by spanking the young lad. Classic stuff!

Can't wait for Vol.2 and the subsequent double DVD box!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I saw this last night and it was just okay. I found the sword stuff boring. Who would do swordfighting in this day and age anyway (I mean in the real world)? Alot of it felt like a student film. It was like a big budget ad for an asian film festival, curated by a campy gay guy.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Thumbs down Blech

I have to say I was thoroughly dissapointed in this film...
    All style no substance. Sure there where some nice tips of the hat, but the "jokes" got old.

This totally reminded me of Dusk 'till Dawn with its solid edgy begining that quickly faded into self indulgance.

The Anime sequence was great... but the MATRIX beat him to it with the Animatrix... If he had turned the whole movie into Anime the moment the story left Okinawa and landed in Japan, then I would have been inpress... the action would have been much more believable and then he could have saved the pretty faces for talking head shots.

The B/W spatter gore was boring and inconsistant. If he was going to go there then why not go there to the minute detail choreographing each cut and blood splatter. Too many time the sword fights resorted to the same old swing the sword and the guy falls over and rolls down the steps leaving no trail of blood. Why weren't people slipping and sliding on their companions' guts!!!?

The blue sihoulette scene was pretty but Uma looked like a Man!!! They might as well have treated it like they treated the fight scene in I'm Gonna get you Sucka.

Yeah, we KNOW Quentin loves this stuff.. and yeah nice use of sounds and the Shaw scope bit... but c'mooooon. It was to much like Jackie Brown when it should've been more like Pulp Fiction!!!

Dull Dull Dull . .. I'm just glad I went to see a matinee, and maybe I'll sneak in to see part 2.

The BUCK scenes, where classic Tarintino... but it could've been in any of his flicks. The closest the movie came towards any semblance of humanity was that sequence with whats-her-face's daughter in the kitchen...

Y A W N . . .

metaphilm.com totally RAWKS! Be sure to read their commentary on Fight Club.
    Crippled Avenger

Metaphilm IS the BOMB... the Fightclub piece was actually the very first piece I read... there's a ton of great stuff...

the Monster balls piece is great,

The Matrix Bits of course

Training Day,
    Wizard of Oz...

soooooo many.

Originally posted by SanSoo Student
    I think that tarentino should've used more creativity in the weapons, and that bar fight was so influenced by old school kung fu flicks..except that it never showed any real martial art style, you now something you can relate to and recognize some moves. And the film kept losing the kung-fu feel everytime another limb would get chopped off.
    I do agree some fight scenes got boring because you can never really appreciate the martial art styling they put on the film because there wasn't any style.
    The style was not chinese at all... look at it - it was Japanese. I really enjoyed the more Japanese use of the sword. It was refreshing - all you see typically is wushu. Blah. This was a good break from the norm.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter