Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: OT: Gaming & D&D updates...

design sifu, not sure what you mean by hourly bonus. I however try to encourage my players to work as a group, hence my experience awards for moving the story along.

As for 3rd ed. I like it. It isn't AD&D by any means and that is part of the thing I like. You still have all the basics, hit points, D20 etc.. they have just managed to ****genize the system some, make it more streamlined and intuitive. You no longer have rolls that you need ot get high and rolls you need to get low, or D20 and percentage dice rolls. Everything minus damage is pretty much rolled on the D20 now.
    On top of that they have really opened up character creation so that you have an extreme amount of flexibility. Detailed rules on playing monster characters, prestige classes and feats really come together in my opinion to make for some really interesting character creation. On top of all that it makes for some great bad guys!
    All in all I have been extremely satisfied and I think most of those out there who say they prefer AD&D, probably don't like change
    It's comprehensive. covers just about anything you or your players think up, and with the D20 system being wide open for anyone to develope, the amount of source material is insane!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    my other fav char which was illegal under 1st and 2nd is
    a 1/2 elven druid/thief, his name was Phaid, cuz that's what
    he did.....

oh, the gnomes name (hehe) was

Mala ZinZam

or just MZ for short

raofl

ohhhhh,

Bombay Sapphire
    is so yummy
    sends a fire
    to my tummy

of work early, got the V-day shopping done, just waitin' for the
    Lady to come home
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I never paid attention to racial limits in the last couple of editions, I thought it was kind of silly since they were just looking to balance out the cool races with plain ole vanilla humans. I know I always had more humans then anything else, even without the racial limitations on class.

hourly bonus

Not sure the origin of this convention, but it basicly ment if you played you would get 100xp per hour per level (I think) for just being a part of the game. This would help offset any situations where an hour o r so was spent with the thief disarming some elaborate trap.

Monster XP was devided amongst participants in combat, tallied up and given by the DM after the session.

No XP was granted for treasure.

And Rollplaying was awared as a flat number or as an aditional bonus to the hourly XP. "you get 1.5 time hour bonus" or "take an additional hour for role playing"

It's been AGES since I gamed though.
    no time, less money... and few others interested...

DS, that's an interesting method. Never heard anyone else do it
    that way.

red5, we abided by the racial limitations mostly but not level limits
    for different races.

3ed does make more sense I guess.

aaghh, it hurts, stop the changing, I can't stand it.

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Talking OSO: OT TOY

-Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

thanks, and blue is her favorite color, too!!!

Yeah... when I got into gaming with the crew I gamed with, we collectively added a variety of changes to the game.

Hourly XP cameabout as a reaction to a fearcely boring DM who would subject the group to a variety of time consuming tortures. One that springs to mind was the use of an othello board to map an endlessly contradictory dungeon. We did nothing but move from one empty room to another, each one demanding an elaborate re-configuration of the othello board. From that point onward Hourly bonus as a sort of carrot to risk DM experimentation.

Monster HP was generally their HDx10...

this eventually lead to custome made monsters to challange charactors possessing a variety of custome made magik items. It was a sort of never ending cycle... sort of like weapons proliferation!!!

Still, we had fun.

Talking OSO: OT TOY II

thanks, and blue is her favorite color, too!!!

Well, I guess this won't go, then. [PS- what is it with Hello Kitty??]
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

no, it wouldn't.

I think HK is a cartoon.

Oso, you can't resist the change...any reasonable minded person would see the benefits of 3rd Ed over AD&D, come on you know you wanna try it....first session is free....

oh, I am, after selling 20 years of accumulated D&D books I only
    have 3ed stuff.

MOF, I just bought a used d20 book I saw at the book store today

but, seriously, nothing wrong with AD&D no matter what addition
    The preface of the PH and DMG always told you to use the books
    as guidelines and change what you wanted.

House Rules in effect...always.

Now, about this M:TG issue you have....

Yep, in AD&D we sort of had our adhoc rules thrown together tthat worked a little better then the written rules.

The only issue with M:TG that I have is that I can't burn down buildings holding M:TG tournemants in them at the time they are holding them...