Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: o/t: computer experts again

Maybe you'll like my latest piece then, i wrote it last night, pretty quickly - it's an abstract piece which i don't usually do (i don't usually write quickly either... although when i say quickly i mean a few hours heh)

I'll post it when i've finsihed my exams
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

GDA: dont need to dial outside unless i use another isp... its ok guys i think i can work on it

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

when it rains it storms eh?
    where's my beer?

Re: o/t: computer experts again

Originally posted by dezhen2001

right now i am running a pc with windows 2000 pro and also an apple mac g4 running mas os 9.2. Well, the pc is for internet and the mac is for study (as the uni server doesnt like my mac). Trouble is i only have 1 screen.

Now, the problem is, it detracts from my study when i have to keep changing to do research online or send email etc. I was wondering if i network the 2 computers together... is there any way i can dial the modem (thru the pc) from my Mac?

sounds a bit weird i know but it would really help me to study and do research online at the same time (so i dont bum around online so much).
    Well, there are a few ways I can think off, though I am not sureof your situation nor do I know MAC very well.

1. You should be able to share connection on your Windows 2000 Pro and you should be able to choose an option, something like "Enable Connection Sharing" and more importantly "Enable on demand dialling"

2. Now I am not sure if you MAC works like this (OS-X?) (I know nothing about MACs except it crashes 10 times a day) but you can set your X export to an external IP address (set to your Windows machine) and run something like EXCEED. Everytime you run a new Window, X will spawn a new EXCEED window on your PC, so you can work on your PC, be on your MAC simultaneously.

3. Get yourself a router that can auto-reconect on demand. Second hand, these should be dirt cheap for a decent one. I know many Cisco's have this built in, I forget where it is so set up in the IoS. You can also cause it to disconnect after X minutes of idle.

4. Run WinVNC on your Win2000 and run the client on your MAC (does VNC come with MAC) it should... hmmmm

o well.... hth