Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucksam Kong's hung gar vs. Frank Yee's hung Gar

phantom Guest

Bucksam Kong's hung gar vs. Frank Yee's hung Gar

I have read that Bucksam Kong's Hung Gar is the style most commonly practiced today. Frank Yee's hung Gar is closer to what wong Fei hung did, but as far as i know, only people in Frank Yee's lineage know this version of Hung Gar. Are there any other lineages that know it and teach it?

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Tang Fung's students and grandstudents should be able to answer for themselves, but I can provide a different perspective too.

My sifu learned from Chan Hon Chung, and the hung gar that he teaches me is very different from what I've seen from the American sifus.

By saying that person X's style is closer to Wong Fei Hung's, how do you measure this? Is it by curriculum, amount of skill, etc...?

I am sure Yee sifu's disciples and grandstudents can answer your question, but I would like to say a few things. Kong's HG descend from Lam Sai Wing while Yee's HG came from Tang Fung. The historical tradition which stated that Tang Fung publicly mentioned he will not change nor modify the things he learned from WFH making people believe that Tang Fung's version is closest to what WFH taught.
    In addition, the methodology of training in Yee's HG is slightly different than Lam Sai Wing;s version. Take for example the stance training, if I am not mistaken, Yee version begins with Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma progressing to sei ping ma and ends with Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma again. For LSW, its training goes straight to sei ping ma.
    Lastly, the amount of sets in these two lineages are different, though the core forms exists in both lineages.
    Whatever it is, both lineages had and still produce good practitioners and fighters.

illusionfist Guest
    When you look at it in the grandscheme of things, there are only minor variations between the lineages. The most vital aspects are there for both lineages and that's what counts.

As for Tang Fung having the closest teachings as taught by Wong Fei Hung, there are plenty of people that will argue against that, even within the same lineage.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. for Paul- the reason why the stuff that you learn is different from the stuff here in America is cuz yours is FAKE ya **** cannuck!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] J/K

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    hehehe, u mean those tapes you were selling me of yourself are bogus?

just kidding =P

By the way, good to see you're working as an admin/quality control monitor on here.

illusionfist Guest
    shhhhhhhh, always telling secrets you conniving cannuck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Peace

DF Guest
    This is to clarify Yee's HUng Ga position in this matter before any unnecessary misunderstanding might arise.

We never claimed or will claim that we are the only linerage that practice the original WFH Hung Gar as phantom as stated.

We practice as it was passed down by our sifu and sigung,etc.
    Is it the closest to the WFH HUng ga is irrelevant. All we know is, it works for us and we enjoy what we do.
    As far as who is closer to WFH, who knows .
    It is a claim that we will never make.

phantom Guest
    I am sorry to have annoyed you, DF. I just remebered reading that somewhere. It is not something I just made up. Peace.

DF Guest
    Hi phantom,

no friend, you did not annoy me. It is just that I want to set the record straight so that there will be no misunderstanding .

peace

Je Lei Sifu Guest
    Yee Sifu is one of the great Hung Ga master of the Tang Fung lineage. Yee Sifu and his students are true carriers of Tang Fung's teachings. However, there are other branches within the U.S. that also extend from Tang Fung.

My Sigung was one of Tang Fung students, his name was Ho Lap Tin. We are located in Philly, PA's Chinatown.

Peace.

Je Lei Sifu

WongFeHung Guest
    I have had the good fortune to have studied both Tang Fung and Lam Sai-Wing versions of Hung Gar. I am expert in neither.As to which is better? Which is better, red or white wine? I love them both, each has their own subtle nuances, different flavors. What is important is that no matter which version you study,make sure that you absorb it, and pass it down completely intact,undiluted for the sake of comercialization.CHANGE NOTHING!Make sure that the next generation is BETTER than the one that preceded it, and not the other way around. Bastet said it best, we are all brothers. We are one family-the Hung Family
    MP

doug maverick Guest

df is right

yee never claimed to be the only school that teaches origenal wfh hung gar it's just that tung fung didn't make any changes to the system nor did yee or yee teacher.

baochui Guest

Tang Fung Line of the Hung Gar

Hello All,

I train with and have befriended a Sifuu (and of course the students also) in the Tang Fung Line. I have also trained with individuals from "other" lines. Both seem to be very strong, but I did notice some differences. From what I could gather (as an outsider...), the Tang Fung Line appears to work more on the "Iron Body" and the muscular strength / endurance work, but I only have a limited exposure to either line. I have never heard a negative word said about the "other guys" from either side, good sign. The "other" workouts were also very impressive, but differed in that they worked more in other areas like difficult kicking drills and hand speed exercises. Absolutely, both were great, and I found that the people were very strong and still "kind" despite their obvious physical prowess. In both systems, I found that the workouts were long and hard, and covered just about everything--that I knew about ;). I now use all of the "Southern Fist" training methods that I've learned in my own classes and have found the results to be astounding: that's one reason I joined the list, to learn more...

Respectfully,
    Baochui

DF Guest

hi Baochui

hi friend,

can you please tell me a liitle more about your friend of the Tang Fong lineage. The Lam lineage is by far the more popular line. There are not too many Tang Fong lineage people out there, I am always interested in meeting and getting to know other hung Ga practioners around the world.

thank you

DF

Je Lei Sifu Guest

Hey DF

How are you my friend?

I have been trying to get intouch with you. Email me when you get a chance.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger