Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryu is back to say hello

Ryu is back to say hello

How is everything going here? What's new, what's bad, what's good?

Liked the discussion on the Universe thread. Good insights by lots of people, KC, Braden, Prana, etc. Good on you.

Disliked some other threads. Shame on you. ( )

Anyway, here's the rundown on some stuff.

I've been training twice as hard as usual these days (everyday) trying to prepare for my full instructor test in JKD.
    I'll be trying to go for my full intructorship this March. Feel a lot more solid with my weapon work, my grappling, and my fighting. I'm using the straightblast a lot more these days, but have modified it to more of a "boxing blast." Tested it out in sparring, etc. everything looks and works good. Traded some info and techniques with a Jun Fan/JKD instructor under Tim Tackett, and who had been an instructor in Northern Shaolin Kung Fu for nearly 20 years. Fun stuff there.

My sexual assault advocacy training starts this February, but I have to go down to the university to double check the date it starts, etc. This will be (if I can remember right) a 4-week intensive training course, covering lots of things, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I'm trying to get in contact with and work with a few Asian American organizations that want to alter/speak out against a lot of the stereotypes/images of Asian women being portrayed in film, media, etc. If I can, I want to try and possibly write articles for some Asian American magazines, etc. (Though of course I'm not Asian, but you'll have to figure that sh1t out for yourself. )

What else? The film stuff I'm doing is hard work (even for independent student films) I'm writing scripts, choreographing martial art scenes, etc. for some filmwork right now, and will be again acting in it. This is nothing too spectacular, these are independent student films. But still a start. Hopefully, I can maybe find a connection somewhere, but again, I won't just jump at anything... see paragraph above.

So that's about what's going on right now. My Mandarin is getting much better! And I got to sing Chinese Karaoke with a bunch of friends. An experience to say the least.

Other than that, it's just train, train, finish up college, and train again.

What's new with everyone here?

Ryu
    Last edited by Ryu; 01-12-2003 at 12:03 PM.
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Pain, fear, hatred, strife, deprivation, degradation, death, sickness, lies, deceit, addiction, flirting.

The usual.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thumbs up

8 looks before anyone posts huh?

glad you are well Ryu, things r the same here... im finally coming out of the depression thats been plaguing me for around 7 months now and really affected my training and study etc. Now once im healthy again and my head is clear i may actually be able to finish my final year at uni

doing fight sequences can be pretty fun, especially if you have people who actually know what they are doing

as for the wimmins (as Xebs puts it), im sure u got everything under control there (why else would u sing karaoke?)

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Good luck on going for your full instructorship Ryu. You still in contact with Watchman? I have to write him soon.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

csn beat me to it dammit

dawood

Hey Ryu, we miss your thoughts on JKD and grappling. Glad to hear everything works out fine.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Glad to hear everything's going well. I thought I was training pretty hard, but you make me think otherwise

Hard, training, sexual assault advocacy training, OC spray classes, etc. What exactly do you want to do when you grow up? Some type of law enforcement?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Aight news, goods, bads

I stopped combing my hair and let it follow its nature, got no wimmin, will be learning to drive soon (i want an Opala car), will be moving to my cousins apartament in some months, life sucks but its funny, will buy an acustic guitar, wanna do some photography, got a sweet avatar (as you can see, and you better not disagree), been sleeping early (before 2 am, thats really early for my standards)... what else...

I will be studying vet on uni this year, if i get on the public one its sweet becouse i dont have to pay. If i get on the private i have to pay but maybe i can compete (if i get any good) in fencing or judo or who knows something else to get a discount. Either way i get to train lotsa more xing yi living closer to teacher.

You mentioned film thats cool cos i just thought of a script for an action short film. In it i am making some churrasco (our style of barbeque) then me and buddies get to fence against some dudes using "espetos" (pointy swordy metal things we pierce the meat and hang it over the fire) with meat on em. It all ends when this totally hot chick is walking by and theres this awesome scene with wind on her face and a calm music that makes us stop fighting to drool at her. I also eat bread while im starring at her and my friend hits me in the head cos im eating all the bread we have.
    Then she hugs and kisses this ugly geeky sombitch with huge glasses and we all go like: eeeeewww!!
    Then we all (good and bad guys) go eat meat and drink together.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

xebs: thats like, totally sweet

dawood

LOL

My life:

Wake work Train sleep Train Wake work....

Xebs, I miss Turao in Barra-Tijuca--spits of picana as far as the eye could see.... I miss Agua du (sp?) Coco. I miss Pao de Quejo. I REALLY miss Feijoada. Screw it. I miss brazilian food. Except two things:

1. Nobody had a concept of "green salad."

2. That cheesy shrimp dish and crab casserole from northern brazil. A bit too heavy. (says the man who ate, literally, 3 lbs of prime rib at one sitting...)

Sigh... Churrascurias in the US are EXPENSIVE....
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I'm moving to China like, literally, tomorrow.

Very excited. One month in Hangzhou, followed by 12 in Wenzhou, teaching English, studying Taiji.

Gonna be cool. We can chat in Mandarin.

Nice to see you back. Er, read your typing I mean.

Hi Ryu.
    Sounds like you got a lot of good things going, good to hear.
    Im getting ready to leave for Brazil in two days. Half a year of capoeira awaits) my personal dream come true.
    Xebs: where are you doing Xingyí? It would be cool to have a chance to do a bit of Xingyi in Brazil as well...

Hey big guy.

Good to hear all is well.

Now, back to training!

Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Xebs, I miss Turao in Barra-Tijuca--spits of picana as far as the eye could see.... I miss Agua du (sp?) Coco. I miss Pao de Quejo. I REALLY miss Feijoada. Screw it. I miss brazilian food. Except two things:

1. Nobody had a concept of "green salad."

2. That cheesy shrimp dish and crab casserole from northern brazil. A bit too heavy. (says the man who ate, literally, 3 lbs of prime rib at one sitting...)

Sigh... Churrascurias in the US are EXPENSIVE....
    Picanhas are my favourite too, meat is so great. We here from the south (gauchos) and the argentinan are the creators of churrasco, its one of our traditions as well as chimarrão (a type of tea).
    Not teasing you or anything but i ate some pão de queijo today

I can agree about us not having the concept of "green salad", i tell you cos i myself have no idea whats this green salad you speak of LOL

I never ate anything for the north or northeast. My bro was in Bahia last year and he ate some of the food there such as Acarajé and Vatapá, but i have no idea what those are like.

Maybe you should learn to make some of the food your own sometimes, probly aint too hard you know