Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HAKKA PAK MEI

Hing Guest

HAKKA PAK MEI

What is the difference between ''Hakka Pak Mei'' and Cantonese Pak Mei?

Enlighten me INTEGRAMAN. As I think you are a great philosipher.

wisdom mind Guest
    burn dem

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 09-11-2000).]

Hing Guest
    Wisdom Mind
    Thank you for your reply.
    You must know a lot on the subject.
    So what is the difference then?

wisdom mind Guest
    I know very little in regards to the depths of Pak Mei, I am a 6th generation disciple of the system however.

As far as I know Pak Mei came out of the Canton region, perhaps the Hakka influence came into play when Sigung added supplemental forms to the system to allow beginners to train and shape their bodies properly in order to prepare to learn real Pak Mei-so in effect Canton and Hakka Pak Mei would be the same thing with no real distinction.

Maybe someone down the line altered the style again for their own purposes and labeled it "Canton style" or markets it as "Hakka"

I by no means am stating this as 100% true Pak Mei lineage info, just my take on the question asked.

Mantis 108 here can probably explain this in detail.

Post to him or email sifu1@internorth.com for direct answer. Also use the search feature here on KFO...there have been a # of threads on Southern Hakka and Cantonese styles and how that relates to Pak Mei.

I hope this helps a bit, if my info is not good, ill change it upon correction.

burn the wikked

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 09-11-2000).]

Hing Guest
    Hi Wisdom Mind
    You certainly live up to your name.
    Thank you for your reply it is quite interesting.
    You say you are 6th generation Pak Mei.
    What do you think of lineage?
    Have you finished your study or are you still a beginner?
    Who is your master and where could i get some lessons? Do you teach? If so how much are your lessons?

wisdom mind Guest
    What do you think of lineage?
    I think lineage is many times political, and used in poor contexts. I look at lineage as a tie to the past, if you are further away, the information is more diluted than if you are closer to the source. Me being in the 6th gen, is interesting, in that many of my Si-hing (kung fu brothers) are in their 90's, and there are in Hong Kong 11 and 12th gen at this time, each with persons who are older than me. The 90 year olds in the 6th generation are looked at as my more experienced "peers", while chronologically older persons than me in the later generations are my "younger" brothers.

Pak Mei being relatively young as a style, can be easily traced, so a person whom is a 5th or 6th gen practitoner of the style, is really close to the source, 6th being more diluted. A reason for such is that people go to jobs nowadays and cannot practice 8-14 hours a day.

it all boils down to the individual though.

i am not in the capacity to teach at this time you can check my school site
    http://www.mindspring.com/~ablau/index.htm

for the breakdown and class info.

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 09-13-2000).]

Hing Guest
    Hi Wisdom Mind
    What Grade are you?
    I've heard that there are five forms to Pak Mei. Is this true?
    What form are You currently on?
    Where I'm from there are no schools available to go and study.I even tried tthinking of getting some videos. Does your teacher do any corresponding courses?
    How many years have you been practicing.
    Are you satisfied?
    I ask these questions only to find if I can be a worthy student.
    Thanks for the time you give me.
    From an avid Pak Mei enthusiast.

wisdom mind Guest
    you can email me at iandijah@hushmail.com if you would like the above answered...

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Hing and Wisdom Mind,

How goes it?

The Canton and HK both Bak Mei, IMHO, would be the same with different Sifu favour different aspects of the art. Sigung Cheung Lai Chun did taught in both places. It is also important to remember that Bak Mei system sometime is not taught with a set curriculum. The HK Bak Mei association seemed to have put out a regular curriculum to remedy that.

I for one would suggest seeking out a Sifu in the long run. Wisdom Mind has given you some good advice.

Hi Wisdom Mind,

Long time no chat. How's your Sifu, practice, and New York?

Please feel free to email me at sifu1@internorth.com

Mantis108

------------------
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

bak mei and drugs

in concerns of how many bak mei forms in the system, there are more than 5 original forms. cheung lai chung learnt many more original forms and added 5 to his dragon. cheung lai chung bak mei is not original, he claimed himself as bak mei grand master. what you see is dragon shadow that was lam yui gwa's dragon...that is a FACT. i have the original bak mei system. cheung lai chung was so doped up on opium, he made half of the stuff up to earn more money for his habit.

many of cheung lai chungs top students left him because of his habit and did not want to be part of his clan.

sorry to spoil your day, but this is true...

ps. he was still a good fighter because he didnt feel pain [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

MoQ Guest

Congrats, an a$$ of yourself on the first post!

It takes most of us MONTHS seriously...

You have "the original Bak Mei System" huh? LOL
    Are you gonna fill us in a little more?

wisdom mind Guest

Mr. Lacy is that you?

Fierce Tiger...are you James Lacy by chance?

say. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

mantis108 Guest

Enlighten us please.

I'm curious as to the "original" Bak Mei system.

Things like: Lineage, Theories, Training Metodolgy, Forms (5 form which 5? more than 5 forms?)

In forms alone, I thing you have already put yourself(ves) in a perdicument. If we were to agreed there are 5 fives, what makes yours more "original" than ours? If we were not to agreed, than what proves do you have to the authenticities? Sigung's teaching was well documented through out time. What about your original system? Anything that we can read?

I have been in the Kung Fu community both in HK and in North American little more than 25 years. Not once have I heard or read anything about Sigung had a substance abuse problem. Things like that can not be around without any rumours and gossips especially in HK. What did he do to you to deserve this?

To prove yourself(ves) worthy is definitely not by making false claims.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

sorry to be so abrupt. the 5 forms that you have are - jik bo kuen, sek see kuen, gau bo toy, sup bat moe kui, mung fu chut lam. they are 5 forms that clc favoured and taught as original bak mei. those 5 forms are taught as the core, the other forms were created from dragon and mixed when clc resided to hong kong. also to make things even worse. theres a bak mei wing chun being put together using the principles of bak mei to better the system of wing chun.

ive heard about this kung fu chat line and that you all seem to be fightibg each other and disrespecting each other and other styles. its not nice is it.....

no im not lacy. i dont know who lacy is.... ive studied in guangou, i will not give out my sifus name.
    dont be blinded behind clc's forms. you all know that there are a lot of unknown bak mei practitioners or teachers, articles now coming out of the woodwork and you guys are in shock. clc isnt even heard of on some bak mei family trees....(why?)

when i say original, there are really no original systems because the teacher would have studied other styles to create the system.

regarding the drugs - of course your sifu would not want to tell you the stories of your gm. that would be disrespect. dont tell me you have NEVER heard anything about it... ask around.

nevertheless it is still a good system. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

wisdom mind Guest

your source

and your source regarding Sigung's drug use is?... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

and they are reliable because of?....