Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: china may have beaten columbus

china may have beaten columbus

nothing new, but it's not being more widely publicized -- the middle kingdom may have been the first to "discover" the americas:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/book...421/index.html

thoughts?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

There have been at least 2 claims of Chinese explorers getting to the New World before Columbus or the Chinese fleet mentioned in the article.

1) Hsi and Ho @ 2640 BC
    2) Hui Shun @458 AD

Check out this, http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=358001 perhaps when the Chinese got here they saw white faces?????????????????
    Monkey vs. Robot

didnt they "discover"/ reach south africa before the dutch too?

Talking

they also invented BJJ before the brazilians too
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

lol @ Crimson Phoenix

Like the Rabid Sinophiles on this forum need any encouragement in their campaign to have Chinese culture recognized as the Uhr-culture of all humanity.
    Monkey vs. Robot

The only thing I really disliked about that story was Menzie's assertion that "it's unarguable that China got to the Americas before the Europeans did.'" Since when are Vikings not European? Many people beat Columbus but most of those weren't interested in establishing longstanding colonies. Plus many of the previous groups weren't the nuts for maintaining a written record that he was and so... kids are still taught 1492 and Columbus as the discovery despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    Most fights start standing up. Keep it there.-standup school
    Most fights end up on the ground. Take it there.-ground school
    Fights start where they start and go where they go. Go or take it whereever works best.-MMA

The Norse made it to North America about 1000 years before Columbus.

The Chinese made it on the Pacific side at about the same time.

The problem is the European history record which is always favouring the Spanish, The British, The French and the Portugese.

Now in their own time they were certainly big on exploration, but when held up to the reality of times message they were just mere secondary players to the true ancient explorers.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For those interested in doing a little internet research here is a partial list of expleditions that some historians claim predate Columbus':

1) Hsi and Ho (Chinese) 2640 BCE

2) Votan, Wixepecocha, Sume, and Bochia (Indian) 800-400 BCE

3) Hui Shun (Chinese) 458

4) St. Brendan (Irish) 550

5) Bjarni Herjulfson (Norse) 986

6) Leif Ericson (Norse) 1003

7) Thorvald Ericson (Norse) 1004

8) Thorfinn Karlsefni (Norse) 1010

9) Prince Madog Ab Owain Gwynedd (Welsh) 1170, 1190

10)King Abubakari II (Malian) 1311

11)Paul Knutson (Norwegian) 1356

12)Johannes Scolp and Joao Vaz Corte Real (Danish and Portuguese) 1476

Some seem to be more credible than others.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Well, the Welsh claim is bogus and was used in the 1600's in order to for the British to lay claim to the lands over the Spanish or the French by making the claim.

But, we all know how that turned out in the end

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Whether Chinese explorers made it to the new world or not is pretty irrelevant as a matter of historical importance. Colonization and cultural fusion began in earnest with the Spaniards and Portuguese and later other Europeans. And in terms of what actually went down, that's what matters.

It's like saying that the Dogon people knew about that binary star in Sirius. Yeah, they did. But so what?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thumbs down WELL GUESS WHAT GENIOUSES

The AMERICAS were discovered even long before that.

because of the NATIVE PEOPLES ALREADY LIVING THERE.
    you Morons.

duhhh oh geee we never thought of that
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Kill the savages.
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

you Morons
    Actually I did make reference to aboriginal people living in America, so save your name calling and thumbs down for another thread.

The question, in light of that article, is whether the Asians crossing the landbridge between Asia and Alaska were the first. That article would have one believe that Caucasians from Europe somehow arrived long before the Asia to America migration. It would definitely put a spin on things if the "Native Americans" aka American Indians did the same thing to the original(?) Caucasian inhabitants that was later done to them.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Thumbs down oh yeah a "reference"

being part indian i can safely say that all this crap about who discovered america first and who was here way before him or her or whomthe fuk ever is MORONIC and totally Naive.

ill bet they have threads in europe about who discovered europe first,,the aliens or the atlantians.

WHO GIVES A SH!T?

(CSN posted here and i dont think he is a moron,,just to make that clear )
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 01-13-2003 at 06:39 PM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

historians?
    All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.