Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praying mantis can't hold a candle to wing chun

Stacey Guest

Praying mantis can't hold a candle to wing chun

A wing chun sifu just told me that he has yet to meet a praying mantis sifu that he can't beat up.

Have any of you ever fought with wing chun? How did praying mantis stack up?

I've never met a Wing Chun Sifu who didn't want to give up Wing Chun in order to study Praying Mantis.

I've never met a Wing Chun Sifu!
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

this is a really silly topic/post

I mean it - a really silly topic.
    It comes down to the practicioner, not the style.
    I've met people who studied both and gained a lot from doing so - they compliment each other.
    Wing Chun has also had an influence on some PM teachers.
    There are good and bad schools within each style, too.

Oh now this is just silly.

Stacy,
    Your wing chun sifu friend should get out and meet more Mantis sifus. He's in for a surprise.

Mighty B,
    You shoule get out and meet more Wing Chun Sifus. You'd be surprised.
    Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]

"Learning is not compulsory ... neither is survival."

-W. Edwards Derning

A thought on Civil Discourse:

“Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it’s possible to disagree agreeably, that it’s better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one’s adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct.” -Thomas Mann

fight every style

You need to try your MA on every style every chance you get.

i understand the WC guys point of view.
    They have 3 forms and spend most time fighting.

Many PM guys have way too many forms.
    What happened to PM's origial 3 forms?
    Isn't 3 enough?

I spent a lot of time with WC folks of different branches.
    Technically speaking, WC has a method of dealing with all PM techniques and vice versa.

So if the WC guy fights with his partners while the PM guy is still reviewing his forms who do you think will win?

a praying mantis fighter should be able to defeat a wing chun fighter. praying mantis covers all ranges of fighting so therefore they should have the advantage. plus, praying mantis is probably the most aggressive style of kung fu created. so whoever this guy is who beat all these mantis fighters, he should find someone with lots of experience and see if he can beat him

Question You can't be serious..........Right?????

Originally posted by 7*mantiskid
    plus, praying mantis is probably the most aggressive style of kung fu created.

7*mantiskid,

I started to say something about your post ,but i'll leave it alone.Just remember that there are many styles of kung fu that are aggressive.It's good for someone to believe in their style ,but don't ever fool yourself about one being superior to another.

jmd
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

It doesn't matter which one is better,
    cause BJJ can beat them both :-)

LOL.
    "You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

No doubt about it.........You're right

Originally posted by KnightSabre
    It doesn't matter which one is better,
    cause BJJ can beat them both :-)

LOL.

jmd
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

bwahahaha this is hilarious

BJJ...

yep that's right BJJ is superior in the old words of the mythical Ralek. Oh how we laughed back then too!!!!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

13. Thumbs up

This thread reminds me of "BJJ...best...yadda...********" stuff.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

wow, thanks Stacy

I finally have a reason to use the ignore feature.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

Personnally, I never liked Wing Chun. If I had the chance, I would do Mantis. If I was doing Mantis, i'd kick the stuffing out of alot of people. If I was doing Wing Chun I'd get kicked.

Why you ask?? Because Mantis better suites Me, that's why.

The art must fit the practitioner. If it does not, your not going to be very good at it. You have to enjoy what your doing. Have fun with it.
    If I could just get some consistant training partners i'd beat the stuffing out of everyone wiht the Tai tzu I am learning off of video. Why, because I'm passionate about it. I love the research, the testing, the experimenting that comes from self study.

As for the whole "3 forms" thing, I tend to agree. In my book a dozen forms is more then enough to last a life time. Heck, I don't want to ever be very good at more than 9. 3 basic sets, 3 intermediate sets, and 3 advanced sets.

I supose it's ok to "Play" with more than that, but you need solid mastery in a few FIRST

Many styles today have 30, 40 or even 100 forms in them. I think that is an aweful lot to really master, and it is probably not even possible. If you can figure out which Mantis sets were the first, I would want to learn those and master them first, and forget the rest untill much, much later, if at all.

I say "If you want to collect forms, collect them on video"
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a