Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emei Bai Mei

Most Emei styles (in fact most styles out here as well) are relatively internal based so we practise qigong within the practise of the methods so to speak. Although I didn't specifically ask my sifu (BTW I have become Tudi now) mentioned this as well as I have trained in this methodology previously.
    In the arts here I have found that there are not separate specific entities as much as contained within and taught as pieces but of the same puzzle if that makes sense.

Yes the set was relatively short but still longer than any one of the three main BM forms (JBT,SBM,MFCL). Shorter relative to a standard Hung Ga or ChoyLifut set as an example but hakka arts tend to be shorter drills than most.

I always have fun. In fact I may not even return home as I am having literally the time of my life. Now I am older, my language skills are really improved and I have long term friends life is better than a dream. I have trained and know so many legendary teachers the knowledge and memories of a lifetime. I mean I go to a banquet almost everyday curtosy of friends, businessmen, teachers and associates. Life here is good to say the least.

thanks
    Wu Chan Long

Shaolin Master

First and foremost im glad to hear your having a great time in China, also glad to hear of your new place with your sifu.
    Im hoping to visit with my sifu myself before to long, there is much to see and do. Today however was my sifus mums birthday. She is in her eightys and vibrant and fit as can be - still practicing Tai Chi. Its insightfull to realise just how far these skills have been passed down - intact.

Something you said picked up my interest, forgive me for being so specific and i will understand if this is something you do not wish to eleborate on. Still ill ask anyway if you will forgive me

You made mention that after you performed your set this gentleman stated something along the lines of "thats not Bak Mei". Im very curious if he expanded at all on this comment and if so what in his opinion was missing or changed?

I would also be highly curious as to what this gentlemans opinion was of Chung Lai Chun Bak Mei?

Anyway i know this is somewhat opening you up to fire so i will respect your wishes if this is not something you wish to delve into.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time there, with any luck i may be able to visit you. Would be great to have a yum cha in another country with someone from this forum

All the best, happy playing
    Jon
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

FT said......"Did it come with chi kung?"

I want mine with a Coke and fries

All kidding aside this is a good thread I'd like to see continue,
    I'm just to tired to ask deep questions,I'll give it a try.

Is Ngor Mei pronounced in English Nor Mei?

Is Ngor Mei the same as Omei??

I have heard from more than one Bai Mei Sifu that CLC called
    his art Nor Mei Shaolin before changing the name to Bai Mei.

If Bai Mei is pure Taoist as some claim then why did CLC
    have his pic taken wearing Shaolin robes?

Maybe Taoist and Buddest go together like garlic and ginger?

Thoughts anyone?

SM,you lucky dog you

Jon,

His statement was made in the context that it was not the Bak Mei of his practise! The two arts are different. As I said previoulsy I did not mention CLC to him. I was there for ZiMenQuan and YingMenQuan (Yue Jia) primarily it was only coincidence that I came accross the Emei Bai MeiQuan practitioner.

Chinese masters are very respectful to me. My own teacher appreciated highly my old frame ZhaoBao Taijiquan. He thought highly of the art as it beared resemblance to his wudang fist style, noting he also practises Wudang Gong Gun Baguazhang. (though he started learning it late in his life (at 40 unlike ZiMenQuan which was taughtby his father and grandfather) and he is nownearly 80.

Oh so whenare coming to China ? and where? It would be good to meet.

tnwingtsun,

Emei Mountain (Mandarin : Emei Shan / Cantonese : Ngor Mei San)

The Buddhist Daoist phenomenon has long been treated. The novel states Daoist the drawings of Bai Mei could be either. The pictures of Juk Fa Wan & Name are Buddhist. Bak Mei is an unprovablelegend as much as Chang San Feng is in Taijiquan....hard to say.

Lucky yes, but I do miss the food variety back home in Oz

Regards
    WuChanLong

*My* understandings : Emei, Omei, Ngor Mei all the same. I'm told that Bak Mei was buddhist, then with his travel (escape) he ended up in area of daoists and became daoist. This is where the internal aspects became integrated into the style. Generalized but you get the gist.
    Is it possible to find out the lineage of this individual, or where (geographically) he learned his Bak Mei at?
    *History has shown again and again how nature shows the folly of man....
    *You can have anything you want, but you'd better not take it from me.

Chau Qwan Ki of the Quan Ki Do learned a art from his uncle who was a monk named Chu Ah Nan the founder of Chu Gar Southern Mantis Chau Qwan Ki learned from his uncle Chu Ah Nan Chu Gar Southern Mantis and a art called Ngau Mai Sui Lam i am not sure if this is the same art as Negor Mai Sui Lam that Cheung Lai Chuan called his art .

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Has anyone heard the legend that Ngor Mei P'ai is actually a closed sect strictly for women, passed down mother to daughter?

Shaolin Master

Thank you for your answers, i realise his comments where made in context i was just curious exactly what he found to be out of alignment with his own practice. I also realise you did not ask him about Chung Lai Chun. My question was a little badly worded but i was more after his opinion on the linage as opposed to the man himself. I can still understand if this was not the focuss of your talk and may not have even been on the agenda.

I dont have details on my trip yet, it was originaly going to be going late last year for San Shao but as you may have noticed it has fallen though for the olympics. Still im hoping to go simply on personal interest, depends partly on my sifu and partly on when i can save up a decent amount of money.
    Still ill be sure to drop you a line before i leave and let you know where ill be and when.

All the best
    Jon
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

TTT

TTT

Hello Shaolin Master,

I just read all these posts and I was wondering what you found in Futsan? I have a little interest in Futsan Bak Mei becuase that seems to be the only one near me. Luo sifu from Fatsan teaches Bak Mei in SF and Eddie Chong teaches down the road from me. Just currious as to the lineages and how the trace down. Facinating stuff.

Tom
    ________
    PREGNANT TUBE
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Lou sifu

Is that the fish mungers son? If so i think its a mixture of dragon and bak mei thats why the white dragon name!!

if it is him i have seen his sup jee on a wing lam video.

FT

His father is Mai Yu Qiang and I believe he resides on Futsan. Zhong Luo does have his web site where he has video of his sup jee available.

Hi MAC and FT,

Yes that is who I was speaking of. I met him once at his school. I was considering taking lessons. He is a very nice guy, atleast from my personal experience. I have a feeling this may differ depending on ones experience. LOL. He apparently is ****y and trying to show how good Bak Mei is for real fighting. I beleive he may be stepping on toes. Though he was very nice to me.

Thanks for the name of that form. I have two clips of him, both in wing lam videos. One was at a masters demo and is on one a intro tape that shows different people. Is there something I can look for to figure out which one would be Sub Jee? What tape was it? Is this similar to CLC Sub Jee? I want to learn more about Bak Mei, so it is interesting to see the forms and put a name to them.

Last time I checked his website it was down. Is there a new link? I'll check again.

I love the southern arts, especially Wing Chun, Leung Ying, Bak Mei, and Hung Gar. Few people around know these styles, and less are apparently good at them. LOL.

Thanks
    Tom
    ________
    DODGE DYNASTY HISTORY
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Judging (if I may) from his sup jee video, he does have tendency to show for contemporary application. His web site : http://www.undergroundkungfu.com/
    Took me quite a while to locate this, as I used to look for an older site I had been refered to. His sup jee is not like CLC that I have seen.
    It seems to me, though, that many of these folks here have much broader exposure to this than I do.

Any updates

Hi Shaolin Master,
    In this old post you mentioned you may go back to Emei to meet the BaimeiQuan master. Just wondering if there was any update on that adventure ?

I have a form called Dai Fut Jeung. My KF Uncle told me our Sigung told him it was from Bak Mei and rare. But the forms are completely soft, flowing and palms. Basically an internal palm form. It is nothing like Bak Mei of CLC etc. I am not sure if it really is a Bai Mei form, it could all have been a misunderstanding/miscommunication from 40 years ago.

Your posting has me intrigued. I would love to find out more about your Emei BaiMeiQuan system.

Kindest Regards,

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.