Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Origin of Southern Mantis???

MiamiMantis Guest

Origin of Southern Mantis???

Can someone please educate me on the origin of Southern Mantis.
    Thanks from a curious practicioner of Northern Mantis

sleeper Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MiamiMantis:
    Can someone please educate me on the origin of Southern Mantis.
    Thanks from a curious practicioner of Northern Mantis
    [/quote]
    http://cclib.nsu.ru/win/projects/sat.../wushu/sm.html

MoQ Guest
    Great link! Thanks!

yumyang Guest
    I think this is a good history of hakka arts this person must have done much research to get this much imformation on rare art. i think it take lots of hours to be through history this way. this person must have loved this system very much to devote so much time. where you get so much imformation? i think tree is missing a few branchs but all in all pretty good. how come Wongs branch not all that complete, he was brother of Lam but not much written about his branch. i would like to no more about his branch. who are some of his students? and are they all in egland?

Fruit Trio Guest
    Could someone explain how the forms of Southern Mantis develope the body?

yumyang Guest
    the site says there are 57 posts on this subject why cant i find them? i think the forms develope the body like any kung fu. you train the body to do certain thing. after you do these form for long time you develope the strenght do use the system. this is only true if you have a good teacher. he must explain how these excersises go into the body. most people dont stick with this system long enough to use it. most lose interest cause it is not fancy enough. you must have a good shifu to learn how to use this system. in my country hakka hand is respected art. people no it is fighting system. this country not much respect cause most dont understand these arts.

T A F K A T Guest

not bad...

... considering much of it is taken almost verbatim from Hagood's publications. Are you willing to accept this info from a man you were so quick to condemn in previous posts?

yumyang Guest
    i think article is very well done whoever done it. it must take lots of time and research. i think you are mistaken about author cause his name is mr. franco. anyway i dont have nothing against this person you speak of. people let politics get in there way odf education in the arts. this is wrong. knowledge is knowledge where ever it come from. true about something is truth.dont let politics get in your way of learning about certain subject. i made copies of mr.franc article and showed them to my friends and they say it has much good things. they were happy to read article.

MoQ Guest

Nobody likes Hagood and that was a good article sleeper posted, what's your point TAFKAT?

Fruit Trio- Jook Lum/Chu Gar aka Southern Mantis and related southern styles use a type of developed short power to deliver damage. The exercises that are practiced tend to build and tighten the body in particular ways.

SifuAbel Guest
    Miamimantis,

If you want to check out southern mantis, you can find it at Miami Kung Fu center. Sifu Mario Perez teaches that style, as well as, Hung gar and Southern shoalin.

Fellow Miamian

Its dangerous to think your immortal.
    sifuabel@aol.comm

T A F K A T Guest
    MoQ, you alledged he stifled the flow of info on this site. You call an article (at least partially written by him) a "great link" and a "good article". I don't understand this contradiction (or maybe there isn't one). Please help me understand.

yumyang Guest
    i dont no how you no mr. Hagood had anything to do with article. i am sure miami has taken some of the history from his writing but this doesnt make it bad. author has taken much from lots of peoples articles. but to put them all together and to hold the truth is good.i think you only have a problem with mr. hagood and you dont like him for personal reasons. this is ok, but dont try to take anything away from the writing.

mr. abel who is this guy in miami? and who was his teacher? he teaches a few different systems? this is not good. smp is a complete system and you should not mix with other system. how can he teach all these systems? if you mix this system it should be with other hakka short hand. this is the only way to mantain the struture of the system. you mix to much and you have chop suey.

MoQ Guest

yumyang- good wisdom about mixing styles...

TAFKAT- I'll do my best to explain to you what I meant since it seems so important to you...
    By "great link" I meant that, in the context of posters dropping links, I enjoyed this one and at the time, perhaps caught up in the emotion, I considered it "great". I don't know why, maybe I was exaggerating...
    As for the "article", I believe it was compiled, but maybe some was written by Hagood. I must admit I DID wonder why it went on and on about the man's "credentials", and I remember thinking to myself "Jeez, no one says this kind of stuff about Hagood except...Hey wait a minute...What the!??". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    I think it was a good article in general, but maybe I'm not prejudiced enough.

[This message was edited by MoQ on 09-20-00 at .]

sleeper Guest

Info and the lack thereof.

Most Hakka arts are happy to let the myths and legends run wild and free as they help to hide the truth.
    I am no friend of Roger's, yet it was he who was mainly responsible for "Letting the Genie Out of the Bottle."
    as far as deseminating and publishing i nfo on Jook Lum to the "outsiders".
    Mr. Blanco makes no secret of the fact that he indeed used material from Roger. This is no crime.
    I feel that Mr. Blanco's site gives an "outsider" a good basic overview on SPM and Jook Lum in peticular.
    There will alwa ys be claims and debate over the actual history of SPM. Even the writings of the "Mountain Man" are vague and subject to varying interpretions, so let the buyer beware, and remember...your mileage may vary.รป

likuei Guest
    Since Som Dot is at the top of the lineage chart does that mean that he is the founder of Southern Praying Mantis according to this chart?