Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Kerr: "The Smasher"

Braden Guest
    Ok, could anyone know what's up with steroid users using nubain clue me in? I'm really interested; PM me if you want.

As far as I can tell, nubain is similar to morphine (which was also mentioned in this thread). These drugs are just like heroin; they're not famous for making people particularly physical.

Most people will vomit profusely after taking this stuff, and it plugs you up over the long-term like nobodies business. In the mean time, it makes you weak and lethargic. Not exactly the effects athletes are after.

I can understand using them post-competition and post-training for pain. But pre-competition and pre-training?

Shinwa--no amount of painkillers stops a knockout. And if you look at his face after Igor knocked him down, it looks a lot like the fight went out of him there.
    Yeah he went out for a few seconds after that knee to the top of the head by Igor, but still dealing with pain mid match plays into all kinds of mind games. Something he doesn't really have to worry about since he's doped up and going numb. Messing with weak spots is what fightings all about, and he barely feels em

What a gip.

Braden, I imagine that it kinda depends on what you do with it. Dose tolerance would come rapidly, as with any morphine analogue.

You would take a dose probably initially to mask pain of some kind, probably during training. The opioid effects of slight detachment would also come into play w/regards to the psychological factor. There's a big difference between the effects caused by a dose to get high and a "therapuetic dose." These guys are taking just enough to numb their pain, not enough to get stupid.

He was probably on nubain (if he was) to mask pain originally so he could train harder, longer...and found withdrawl worse than taking it. I rather doubt he did it in doses high enough to cause the sleepy, lethargic effects. On the other hand, I bet he was constipated a lot .
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Braden Guest
    Yeah... I found on a site that these guys start with as low as 5mg of it spread across a day (very low dose).

Therapeautic doses of morphine make me vomit and very drowsy. There's no way I could lift while on it. Although I suppose there's so many variables involved...

I just never imagined someone taking opiates to train through tha burn... crazy kids!

I do find people here have peculiar notions of drugs all the same though... there's been a bunch of threads here about fighting people on drugs, claiming that someone strung out on heroin has superhuman strength and endurance, and is prone to fits of rage!

Kerr said he was shooting up 10 times a day. I totally thought it affected his personality. Nice scene where he's trying to cop a score form the Japanes doctor after the Igor fight. Plus, lots of vague references to "partying" - I'm sure other drugs were involved.

How did he go from weighing 260 lbs. as the UFC champ down to ~225 before Pride? (107 kilos, he said) Stop taking roids or something?

Regarding the whole style thing, yes I believe the size of his muscles actually would get in the way of certain types of movement, and although he is fairly fast for such a big guy, I didn't see much suppleness. It kindof looked like his torso and arms moved in a solid block, as one unit- - which is only one way to move. I know that there are lower weight divisions, but the heavy weight guys are discussed all of the time.

I agree that most guys in NHB are very skilled, just noticed that even wrestler guys (less skilled strikers) were able to use striking defensively against grappling.

Agree that NHB is the closest legal thing to a streetfight that does not make use of an imaginary opponent.

Think that a lot of these guys would benefit from some in-depth study of a traditional art. Can you imagine Mark Kerr using Hsing-Yi? Some have this experience already, and aren't lacking in this respect. Some are so good at kickboxing that it wouldn't help them much, but many are in the catagory where it would help them.

Think that most arts that have lasted to be over 50 years old, battle tested, etc. are darn good arts and have their strong points, be they western, eastern, sport-oriented, weapons-oriented, etc.

I thought it was a great program. I've seen it twice now, once sunday and once wednesday. I think he looked awsome after he shaved his head for the pride fight. So, I decided to shave my head last night. I was also saprised at all the personal notes in the move. If you ask me he should have stayed the hell away from that woman before those fights. I guess he really just need someone, but i don't know. Maybe it looked worse on the movie.
    I am nothing.

Haven't seen it. Kerr has had his problems throughout his career. I'm less a fan of his than I am of Coleman and some other personal favorites, but he's still a heck of a competitor.

Incidentally, with regards to body types, look at Sakuraba... he's got the body type of a janitor, and he's got one of the best MMA records in the world.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn