Thread: Tai Ji/Tai Chi Teachers in Maryland

Tai Ji/Tai Chi Teachers in Maryland

I'm looking for Tai Ji/Tai Chi teachers in Maryland.

I live in Frederick and work in downtown Washington, DC, so places somewhere in between the two would be ideal. I am interested in all aspects, including the martial applications. I am not so concerned about style as I am that I learn from someone with a verifiable lineage, who is knowledgeable of all aspects.

One group that I came across however is: Mike Basdavanos of the American Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan Association under Wang Yen-nien. If anyone knows anything about this group, please advise.

Thank you for your assistance.

Dave Fulton

You might try Tien Shen Pai. They have a couple of schools in your general area. They also help sponsor an annual Lie Tai competition out there every summer which is pretty good. It says on their site they teach Tai Chi Chuan, Hsing-I and Bagua as well. Might be worth checking out.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I would recommend my teacher, Scott Rodell, over the group you mentioned (Mike B.).

The school is the Great River Taoist Center (grtc.org) and is right by Dupont Circle.

Scott was an indoor disciple of Master Wang Yen Nian in Taiwan, and is definitely knowledgeable about more than the form or health aspect of taiji (though that too, of course). If you're interested, the website has the school's address and phone number.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Originally posted by taijiquan_student
    I would recommend my teacher, Scott Rodell, over the group you mentioned (Mike B.).
    Thank you for the recommendation. They're affiliated aren't they?

Thanks!

Dave Fulton

Yes, they are of the same lineage, through Master Wang, though I don't know if Mike learned from him personally or not.

Of course I am biased, but if you have a choice, I would choose Scott. While I have not met Mike B., Scott is of a very high level. You can't do any better, in my opinion.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    There is a School in Kensington to which I and another from Frederick (ReQu) go for T'ai Chi Ch'uan. I didn't ask about lineage but this site has info if you were interested about that school T'ai Chi Ch'uan lineage. Kensington School information

There is a School in Comus, MD That for sure seems to have lineage reference Pat H.
    Last edited by No_Know; 01-22-2003 at 01:33 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I am currently working with one of Tai Yim's top students, and while it is not taiji, I heartily recommend Tai Yim's school.

U.S. Martial Arts Academy in Gaithersburg under Sifu Joe Dunphy
    Hung Fut in Kensington under Sifu Tai Yim.
    There is another Tai Chi school in Germantown near rt. 118 but I don't recall the name of it. Heard that it was a good school and good instruction for form and combat.