Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is The Best Way to Form the Phoenix Eye Fist with your Hand ?

YC, I'm not gonna take offence to you being more specific. Just in terms of sitting in front of a computer, hitting the palm of my other hand with a phoenix eye, that seemed to be less painful, but I made it up off the top of my head, so I wasn't expecting a positive response. But could you save me a broken thumb, and describe more closely why it's such a bad idea?

Hi Sasha

If you make a fist with your thumb curled inside, the force of the blow will collaps your hand onto your thumb and break it.

Let me comment on the way I was taught. I was not allowed to make a phoenix fist in public for my first several years of training. Si hing and Sifu would take hold of my fist and force it back into a basic fist and say, don't do that.

I was taught how to make a basic fist by rolling fingers into a fist one set of joints at a time to make it as tight and hard as possible, thumb folded down around the face of the fist. And, to strike with two knuckles.

Only when I could do that properly was I shown how to properly make a Phoenix fist, and it wasn't until much later that I had the strength and technique to learn how to really use it.

It is an advanced technique I think I can say in all fairness, not easily accomplished without a good teacher.

"Just in terms of sitting in front of a computer, hitting the palm of my other hand with a phoenix eye"

Be very careful when you strike your palm,I'm not sure what the
    pressure point its called.

I have been told that it leads to the heart,so if you're hitting
    that spot,its just like hitting the heart over and over again.

My friend that was very high up in the Bando group died of a heart attack,some say it was because of improper methods
    close to what you describe.
    Except his was more of a hard core method,flat palming trees very hard.

You might want to consider curling your palm at the last split second of impact so the meat
    under your thumb and pinky finger take the shock and protect the middle heart point.

YC and FT could probably add to this and tell us what these points are called,I'll ask Sifu at Sundays CNY dinner.

"If you make a fist with your thumb curled inside, the force of the blow will collaps your hand onto your thumb and break it."

I agree with this so much it makes my nuts hurt and I hear fingernails scratching the chalk board.

"Sometimes I get really bored,light my nipples on fire and
    run very fast into a brick wall"

Howey Mandell
    Last edited by tnwingtsun; 01-29-2003 at 07:22 PM.