Thread: looking for some advice.....

looking for some advice.....

hi everyone I'm new to this site, and any kind of fighting arts. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find some info on training. I've been to the local karate school and it looks like a joke. One of the teachers there Ive actually beat the crap out of and threw him out of a bar i was working in. I'm looking for some sites/resources for some self trainig, I'm not quite sure what school of fighting to look into, I'm a very good wrestler/manipulater, no good at boxing, and im looking for ways to increase my overall patience and flexability. iif you can help that would be great and thanx for letting me join your site!

OK so have you actually trained in a boxing gym or in wrestling? Both of those are traditional martial arts. Where are you at? Often you can find more than meets the eye at first search. I don't recommend self-training... a year of self-training often is inferior to three hours in a class with a competent instructor.

When you haven't got a teacher, you end up with huge mistakes that you aren't even aware of needing to correct.. mistakes that can make the difference between effortlessly dropping an opponent or doing a strenuous movement that looks similar that tires you out, damages your knees, and hits like a drunk, stoned chihuahua.

There's no real way to compensate for that - because it's like expecting, in spite of never having seen a game of basketball, having noone to play with, and no basketball court, to learn how to be the next Michael Jordan by reading a couple letters.

As far as arts that might be easy to find, if there's not many schools around see if there's a Judo teacher. They're more or less ubiquitous and give a decent foundation, lots of throwing people into the ground.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

okay here goes.... I wrestled for one year in high school, learned most of my "moves" on the street and in bars, never could box, mostly took 1 or 2 then went for the submission usually works for me, I'm from philly and the only "instructor" I had was a good friend who practiced tung soo doe (no idea how to spell that) he said i was a natural grappler with a low point of gravity, and i use techniques that hes never seen before. I don't know where they come from i guess i got a good imagination/knack for finding presure points and what not. I sometimes scare myself when i fight, almost lose control and let my anger fight against me but it is usually my patience and intelligence that enable me to win without much voilence. sounds like duolble talk lol. anyway i thank you for all your help and look forward to any more you guys can give me.-hammer

Sounds like Tai Chi Chuan would fit you perfectly. Don't let anyone tell you that's just hippy shit!
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

I only said "shit" cause I can.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

There are some Catch Wrestlers in the philadelphia area I could put you in touch with.

http://www.catchwrestle.com

See if it looks like it might suit you. The fact that you have wrestled and say you feel suited to it indicates it might.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Originally posted by count
    I only said "shit" cause I can.
    count, you are the ****!

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: looking for some advice.....

Originally posted by armnhammer
    One of the teachers there Ive actually beat the crap out of and threw him out of a bar i was working in.
    What the **** is a karate teacher doing getting thrown out of a bar?

Welcome to KFO, armnhammer.

IronFist

PS. Hey count, I only said **** because I can
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

But I'm really good shit!

I'm not sure if armnhammer has been or will be back to this forum. But really, read the guys posts. He doesn't need some testosterone driven training. He needs something that will capitalize on his skills like grappling and point striking, and balance his anger problem. He even recognizes he does better with patience and relaxation. In his own words "win without violence". He want's to increase his flexibility and probably wants to live longer. He needs Tai Chi. Not Catchwrestling or Ju Jitsu.

IronFist, all I have to say to you is, Fuck-Off
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Brazillian Jujitsu and some PROZAC.
    A

Talking

Originally posted by LEGEND
    Brazillian Jujitsu and some PROZAC.
    LOL! How 'bout some Hsing I on mushrooms?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Or tai chi while stoned!

Oh, wait a minute. Don't you have to be stoned to do tai chi these days?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

It looks like you have confidence in handling yourself in a fight so go for a long term deep chinese martial art. If you're in philly, see whats' in yoru area.

Go to www.hsing-i.com and click on the teacher's directory. Teh teachers in the green color, you can count on being good. I'd do that and go check it out. Tell us how it goes!

*tai chi books**