Thread: sparring with full equipment

sparring with full equipment

Hello

I dont really know if i can explain this well enough but...

The other day my friends and i got together at my house. we were talking and i told them i owned helmets and gloves, and so they wanted to box. none of them have done it before, i am the only one with sparring experience. Anyways two of my friends went up first and the match was basically just the two of them swinging wildly. Soon afterward i went up with one of my friends. i was the agressor and i hit him with jab, and reverse combinations and a few hooks, i dont really remember. i must have hit him clean at least 5 times, and what he did was just take the hits and charged forwards like a tackling motion.
    then when his shoulders were on my hips he threw wild punches that hit me. untill we broke off.

anyways, after the fight he said that he kicked my ass. is this a realistic thought? i have never been in a streetfight, so if this was a streetfight no equipment who would have won assuming the exact same thing happened as described above?

i told him i would have won in a real fight because i hit him hard but the helmet was what prevented him from getting hurt, but he said someone can take hits. and i dont want to brag or anything but after years of kung fu i know how to use my body to deliver an effective punch.

what do you guys think

thank you for your input.
    Dream it's own existence in one single final word

Jotun

hard hits

Jotun,
    I wasn't there and I don't know what type of stuff you were wearing, but I guess you didn't hit him in the head very hard.

Unless the padding is very mushy punches to the head still will disorient your opponent or knock him out.

This is not easy to do barehanded which is why PM uses the 8 short parts of the body, sort of like using your body like a battering ram.
    In fact your friend may have used PM techniques without knowing it.

Jotun,

Your description reminded me of this weekly fight program they show up here on public access - it's called "So You Wanna Fight" or something like that - two older guys (who look like they've seen a couple streetfights) announce small amateur boxing tourneys. The competitors don't have much training at all. The only padding is groin protection and gloves & they go 2 rounds.

Most of these people fought just as your friends did, flailing wildly, charging, etc. Unless one fighter was clearly knocked on his butt or TKO'ed, the judge's decisions were rarely unanimous and could go either way in any fight.

The only constant I could see was that the guys who hit harder usually won. Solid punches directly to the face were often enough for a knockdown or TKO, or would confuse or scare the other guy who usually turned around and tried to get out of range. One fighter took a shot to the liver and he just doubled over. The only person who stood toe-to-toe with a hard hitter was a kid who had some martial arts training, he took the punches well but he couldn't hit hard and he lost the bout.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents ... it wasn't a pretty program but it was educational.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

When sparring you either show mutual respect by recognizing and honoring your opponents techniques (I'm sure you held back and would have hit much harder in a real fight, at least I hope) or you have independant judges. What did the others think? Apparently you weren't injured by his punches so what makes him the winner?

Don't ever play that game again. Even in a freindly match if your opponent doesn't respect pulled punches then stop pulling them. That should get his attention. When sparring always match your opponents intensity no matter what was agreed upon. If he kicks it up a notch you kick it up a notch. The problem was that he had no training so that's all he knew. He just didn't know how to trade techniques in a friendly manner.

As for real fighting what you thought were strong effective punches might not slow down a pumped up attacker trying to take your head off. Only one way to know for sure.

It does not matter every time you spar you gain experence win or lose.

Some people only recognize defeat by pain. If he doesnt see his loss, then illustrate it in a more physical sense. =) Speak the language his mind understands...
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...