Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Return to the Origin Tour III

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    Serpent-

I think that terms like "qi" lead to confusion, especially in the "internal" aspects of martial arts.

If we should substitute the word "qi" with the term "efficiency" or "efficient functioning."
    Well, in that case, you're completely missing my point. Replacing the word qi with efficiency is changing the fundamental point that I'm making. You seem to have a very limited conception of the aspects of internal/external training, which is fine; your development will continue at it's own pace. However, don't change what I say to suit your current level of knowledge. Read over again what Joseph has said, as he has put things far better than I could and I would only be repeating him anyway.

I'm not having a go at you here, just suggesting that you broaden your horizons as far as these things are concerned.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Blog Entries
    Serpent-

Hmmm....I'll give you quote from a book I have when I have a chance (not a martial arts book). There is a lot of confusion around the term qi and this book really helped me to clarify it.
    But basically Qi relates to function. In the west qi has been taken to mean some sort of" bioelectrical energy" which I don't think is exactly correct and shouldn't be taken at face value.

Fu-Pow,

Serpent is rude but he has a point, instead of quoting words, we should try to experience qi and that is one of the aims of doing qigong. It is not just a subjective feeling, it will make a difference to the way we move.

We will get "it" (functional effeciency or bioelectrical energy or whatever terms people used to describe the indescribable) when our posture is correct, our mind is calm and focused and our breath is integrated with both.

Good luck, may be it will happen in the year of the Ram.

JosephX

Blog Entries
    Great convo guys!!!!

I think it's ok if we agree to disagree on a couple points.

It's hard to talk about kung fu on the internet without getting into issues of semantics. Chinese language only complicates things even more with it's poetic nature and double meanings.

Martial arts like some other things is meant to be experienced and practiced rather than "practiced" and batted around with words.

Still, I felt this was valuable conversation.

Gung Hay Faat Choy Everybody!!!!!

D'oh! I had no intention of being rude. However, I do get annoyed when people try to tell me what it is I'm saying; maybe that came across!

Fu-Pow, I disagree that qi is purely mechanical or a result of posture or function. However, I do agree that experienceing qi is impossible without good posture and function.

For the record, there are many books, martial arts or not, Chinese or not, that discuss qi and they don't all agree on their definitions and descriptions, so it's really down to each person to operate from their own experiential perspective. Semantics are indeed a part of the problem.

Anyway, gung hei faat chui!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Hi everyone,

Back to the main topic of this thread, I just find this article about the first RTO tour on the clfma site:

http://clfma.com/modules.php?op=modl...rtid=56&page=1

I have been to the King Mui Village and it is really worth a visit.