Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question answered

Question Man, wingchunalex never stops???????

wingchunalex Wrote>
    all the big name people in magazines have their marketing.
    What about Rons, I've got an ever so nice pen that Ron gave to me when I came to visit your school, what the hell is that
    I use it at work

wingchunalex Wrote>
    leung ting's got his- last closed door student, i tricked yip man into showing me stuff, and his funny faces in articles.
    And your point is

wingchunalex Wrote>
    yip brothers- got their birth right to wing chun
    I would say more their fathers WCK, why would you care you don't train Yip Man do you

wingchunalex Wrote>
    william chueng's- got his leung bik's footwork and no one else does, and fastest man alive bit
    Sorry, what was Rons claim to fame, we work more on "Defence" rather than "Offence"

wingchunalex Wrote>
    benny meng- has his orginal complete system, and "learn wing chun OR ELSE" add in kung fu magazine.
    Hey, I still like the Ron Bey pen

wingchunalex Wrote>
    emein boztep- has his "im sexy with my shirt undone and my abbs showing doing kwan sau so you can see them" picture in his add.
    This isn't anything to do with height is it

wingchunalex Wrote>
    these were only the people off the top of my head or that i have seen have ,what i think, is dishororable marketing. making claims to make them special. drawing on people's ignorance. and disrespecting the martial arts in general (those funny faces and stances just make martial artists lose face). instead of marketing "here is what i have to offer, its different from others because..., and it works because it lets me do...." (and not trying to make it sound special or better than anyone else's)
    Hey, like I said, I still like the "PEN" deal

If that's not marketing I don't know what is

Sheldon

wingchunalex

Hey wingchunalex,

You wouldn't mind if I "Try" and sell the Ron Beys Academy pen on Ebay would you
    You never know I might get something for it

Sheldon

sandman-----my point exatly....you killed my thread and i said nothing wrong....i said the same thing dave said...and you will alow this type of hootanany but x me out...that stinks

dave----(sending email tomorow) as i mentioned..william cheung created the 5 stages of combat and is a excelent method of organizing and expressing those ideas.....if i go to a robert chu seminar and i learn something he created , but was the best way of explaining something ro doing something ..Why WOuldnt i want to use it?? of cource give credit where credit is due.

i agree with what dave said completly---when you said "if we dont see the facts and we dont see it in publically published articles and we ask for it--why is that wrong?"-----that was my main point in my post to jeremy on the history part 2 thread

I ENJOY WC HISTORY----so i am very interested in the vtms research....is this bad??....everyone im friends with have things about them i dont like...so????.....we can civily not like things about one another and still be a community.....jeez...
    "i see thy nose, but not what dog to feed it to" othello

Hiya,

"william cheung created the 5 stages of combat" Byond1

He's utilizing human anatomy... he didn't "create" something. Those five stages that HE considers important existed LONG before he ever thought, "wow, I see five stages of combat...". But if his way of EXPLAINING it clicks for you, then more power to ya.

"if i go to a robert chu seminar and i learn something he created" Byond1

I'm being a picky jerk because I once talked to someone who claimed their instructor created the idea that the human body has 28 gates(!). Do you see what I mean? But again, if Rober Chu shows you a drill he PUT TOGETHER, and you learn something valuable from it, then he's done his job. and with luck, it will inspire us to put together drills of our own.

By the way... as interesting as wing chun history can be, wing chun's future should be higher on the list of priorities.

not all marketing is bad marketing

i never said marketing in and of itself was bad, or that people shouldn't market. In my post I decribed the kind of marketing that i thought was bad. and i pointed out that a lot of people use that type of marketing.

I don't think a pen with the school's name on it compares to cheungs "fastest man alive" or leung's "I ticked yip man into showing me more by going easy on him" (check out the current kung fu magazine) or pictures where you look like your trying to be a modle.
    ----------------

All i was saying with my side comment about cheung is that i hadn't seen any wild claim from him recently and that people don't have to do the crazy marketing. I would have a lot more respect for "marketing masters" with the crazy claims if they would do some honorable marketing techniques instead of what they've done. I think claims like those and silly pictures and poses make a farce of the martial arts and wing chun.
    when hands stick to hands there is no place to go.

wingchunalex!!!!!!!!!!!

wingchunalex Wrote>
    i never said marketing in and of itself was bad, or that people shouldn't market.
    I don't think I've got that free coupon anymore about you get a class free or the first month is free, winchunalex, what was it again

I still think the pen is great

wingchunalex Wrote>
    In my post I decribed the kind of marketing that i thought was bad. and i pointed out that a lot of people use that type of marketing.
    So it all depends on the tpye of marketing so what do you think of the "Pen" deal and the "Free Flyer"???

Sheldon

Re: wingchunalex!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Geezer
    So it all depends on the tpye of marketing so what do you think of the "Pen" deal and the "Free Flyer"???
    From my view in the peanut gallery, I'd say the type of marketing does matter.

A pen and free lessons sounds rather generous. Making people "aware" can be a service in itself, assuming there are people who might actually appreciate the awareness.

Pens, free lessons, and general awareness of available options all have more substance than hot air, chest beating, or strutting peacock feathers, IMHO. Then again, I'm just a dumb ol' girl and not particularly impressed by haughtiness, so my perspective may be skewed.

Being such a flimsy argument (from a dumb ol' girl POV), I'm rather amazed and somewhat amused that you continue to press this one. Enough to mention it.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    Last edited by kj; 01-25-2003 at 12:23 PM.

Re: wingchunalex!!!!!!!!!!!
    quote:Originally posted by Geezer

---------------------------------------------------------

Who shall conquer this world?

Wingchunalex or GM William Cheung?

Who shall discover the shining way of marketing?

Wingchunalex or Leung Ting?

Hmmm....

People,

You are so beautiful!
    Last edited by Rolling_Hand; 01-25-2003 at 02:32 PM.

Thumbs down to geezer

Don't think we are so blind at Bey's martial arts.

Shelton, Why did you come to our school using a fake name and gave us false information about yourself, saying you were from indiana and you learned some wing chun there, when you had ohio licence plates and your phone number had a eton area code. why didn't you tell us the truth that you did hung fa yi and that you were a student of sifu meng's? what makes it worse is that your son was with you and there by you're teaching him to lie. We I went you your school i didn't try to hide who i was. you certainly don't live by the chinese martial arts ethics.

Is lying a part of hung fa yi?

You wondered what our claim to fame is at bey's, our claim to fame is that at the great lakes kung fu championships, a international tournament, we have won first place in advance chi sau and first place in advanced sparring 2 years in a row. It seems focusing more on defence instead of offence works pretty well.

Is your comment about my height related to your gut? If i remeber correctly.

A pen and a week of free lessons as marketing does not dishonor the martial arts. "lean wing chun, or else!" is just silly.

to rolling hand

very chan, nice. what ever.

Wingchunalex,

You need to grow up.

Never speak the harsh words.

And keep you from mischief.

Humm....

keep you from mischief...

*lol! "hey arent' those the camps that was boying in the whackers---hey boss aren't those the two boys that were camping in the whacker..."

I'm afraid i don't know a lot about wing chun or even kung fu in general, but i do enjoy reading about it and seeing it... my forte is in fencing and i've recently dabbled in judo.... I read kung fu magazine when i can when i see an interesting article (i also do a bit of Tai Chi) And i enjoy seeing the forms and how things can be applied and stuff....

And i have to say that I laugh out loud when i see Emin Boztepe (sp) posing for his videos, and the monkey guys with the "faces" (you know what i mean). The best part is the other guy who is getting punched or whatever, it's so funny, i love it..

I also don't ever read much of what they have to say. Whenever i see "LEARN DEADLY ART OF ******" i skip right over... I don't care what they have to say, they don't appeal to me, and saying things like that seems to contradict martial spirit, ya know? "Oh yes, our style a- teacha disc-a-pline AND a secret "Def-a-touch." it's ridiculous.

Marial art's dojos and kwuns (sp???) need to make themselves known as respectable places to learn valuable skills, not "BECOME A ONE-MAN ARMY, LOOK AT US, WE'RE OLD!" Awareness of the school and style and why it's good.

In the mean time, arguements like these and duels between schools become degraded to nothing be ego-trips and ***** envy.....

love and unity,
    matt

fao kiu

Swordsoul--

Sure there is merit to what you say. Being a newbie on this board all I can say is that there are people and schools on the kung fu horizon out there promoting good works, good skill, good fellowship and mo duk. Unfortunately this forum may not be the best place to share or showcase those efforts because if you attend that particular school or know that particular sifu it may be consider a shameless attempt at self promotion which could be considered fighting words and on a martial arts forum thats not good. One thing we find on a board such as this unfortunately, is that when different lineages and styles are involved if differences in application or principles exist or there is disagreement rarely is there a middle ground. The bright side of that is you can still learn alot about others and their kung fu that way as well.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Red face *****

whoops...potty mouth, sorry guys! (gomen!) ^^^

I actually enjoy this forum (i observe occasionally, again, not much to say..) but i tend to not come back for awhile when i see the gloves come off

unity,
    matt --)----

What is this trash?

WCAlex,

<snip> Shelton, Why did you come to our school using a fake name and gave us false information about yourself, saying you were from indiana and you learned some wing chun there, when you had ohio licence plates and your phone number had a eton area code. why didn't you tell us the truth that you did hung fa yi and that you were a student of sifu meng's?

---What is this 007? come on man there is no reason for you to blame HFY for some one going into your place. I thought you had a good working relationship with my kung fu brother Jeremy R???What would there be to gain by sending a spy? come on man the VTM has great working relations with many WCK masters on a global scale. Why would we send a spy for some one in our own back yard? especially some we have respect for and a good relationship. Does your Sifu know that you are making such claims on the internet. I'm sure he would not condone such behavior.

<snip> what makes it worse is that your son was with you and there by you're teaching him to lie. We I went you your school i didn't try to hide who i was. you certainly don't live by the chinese martial arts ethics.

--More of the same. Who takes thier kid to a martial arts school looking for a fight? come on man! You really should consult with your Sifu before attacking a fellow lineage. I think you could use his wisdom on this one Alex!

Is lying a part of hung fa yi?

--- this is where you cross the line. Alex you really need to rethink this post and your assertions here. We are not the only two schools in Ohio. believe it or not. The VTM's doors are open to the public. We do not reject anyone. Sifu Bey has been nothing but a gentleman for all of the years that I have known of him( through his students) and ther is no problem with him and the VTM.

<snip> You wondered what our claim to fame is at bey's, our claim to fame is that at the great lakes kung fu championships, a international tournament, we have won first place in advance chi sau and first place in advanced sparring 2 years in a row. It seems focusing more on defence instead of offence works pretty well.

---Claim to fame? OK.

<Snip>Is your comment about my height related to your gut? If i remeber correctly.

--- I have met Sheldon personally. He was tall and slinder if I remember correctly. I'm not sure I know what you are saying here.

A pen and a week of free lessons as marketing does not dishonor the martial arts. "lean wing chun, or else!" is just silly.

--- I'm glad to see the catch phrase got your attention. It was meant to be outragous at first glance. There is no dishonor in that Alex. If you had a visitor that seemed fishy you should have called the VTM if you thought it was us. Sifu Bey has been around teaching for many years. We do not have any questions about what he teaches. If we did we would just call and meet up with him directly. He has never express and unwillingness to share and discuss kung fu. So there is no point in wasting time with what you accuse us of on this thread.

Sheldon - Is not a member of the VTM. I met him over lunch after seeing he was in the Dayton area. He also worked in the same area that I did at the time. If I remember correct He was of the Leung Ting lineage but had other WCK influences. It seems he had no problem understanding the HFY information. As I recall making several connections on his own. He seemed very happy with what he had but could very well see what HFY had to offer. He also treated me to a few British sayings Here goes we "got on like a house on fire" One thing that stands out in my mind about Sheldon was his very stong British accent. So with out going to far off topic I will just say it again Sheldon is not a VTM member. but is more then welcome to come to the VTM!