Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

all bugs and insects shall henceforth be called "protein on the go"

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking

Ahh, memories of Ranger School. It all pretty much tastes like chicken. Burnt chicken if you cook your bugs over an open fire.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Another book on the same subject.

I've been known to crunch up a few ants during a picnic, but nothing more extreme than that.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Man Eat Bug

That is a great book - a wonderful cross cultural examination of bugs. For the U.S.A. they cite Tequila pops that come with the worm. For China, they only focus on scorpion farms and that's where Eating the Uneatable begins, so to speak. EtU shows scorpion handling and preparation, plus some weird therapy using stinging. Can you imagine? Ouch. Stop that. I'm better! I'm better! Now get the **** bug off me! There's also a scorpion drowned in wine dish that looks hilarious. That's from the best part, IMO, the gourmet Chinese restaurent that serves some of the wackiest bugs, bats and crap ever. Amazing China.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It all pretty much tastes like chicken. Burnt chicken if you cook your bugs over an open fire.

well, i was never a ranger, but i have done some outdoors training before. a week living in a forest with a man made shelter, a sleeping bag and a small survival kit with a knife is very interesting

rabbits and fish (at least scottish ones ) are very difficult to catch (think they are too d@mn smart), so we ended up living off a lot of different grubs and edible plants etc. and cooking them on a fire.

was a really cool experience, and some tasted pretty good in a burnt kinda way. would do it again if i had to, and if some were prepared well like it looks in that book then i would try it

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I saw my dad eat a live moth once.

True story.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Originally posted by TaoBoy
    I saw my dad eat a live moth once.

True story.
    Accidentally?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Serpent

Accidentally?
    Uh-uh. He was under the anfluence of ilcohol.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

I have tasted quiet a few local "foods" during my travels.

Some I would eat again, others I will skip.

As for eating live Bugs do 80kph with an open face helmet on a country road and you will know all about it.

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    I have tasted quiet a few local "foods" during my travels.

Some I would eat again, others I will skip.

As for eating live Bugs do 80kph with an open face helmet on a country road and you will know all about it.
    That's why Hell's Angels are all fat; all that extra protein.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

bug chow

We've all eaten bugs. We've all eaten at McDonalds. BTW, I hear they've posted their first loss. Yes! A victory for the resistance! I can only hope that I live to see the collapse of the the clown empire.

But it's much different in China than in ranger school or on a motorbike, or drunk. There's nothing like sitting down to a plate of elegantly prepared bugs at a fancy restaurant then willfully putting a bug in your mouth. Check out the DVD. It captures the experience quite accurately. Plus there's the bats. The bat eating is just nasty.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Food!

It's recipe time and I offer up...

Chicken Curry!

Ingredients:

3 boneless/skinless breasts of chicken (about 1.5 lbs of bird meat if you substitute with other cuts)

1 cooking onion

1/2 clove of garlic

1 cup of sliced mushrooms

1 can of coconut milk

1 teaspoon of turmeric
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    1 table spoon of curry powder
    a pinch of salt
    a pinch of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of olive oil

1 cup of rice
    2 cups of water

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heat a skillet to medium and put the oil in it
    Peel and Cut your onion into rings and put em in the pan
    Peel and slice your garlic and put it in the pan
    Put the sliced mushrooms in there with em and stir em up together until they get a little brown.

Heat a pot with a lid to minimum and pour the coconut milk into it.
    Put the turmeric, cumin and curry powder into the coconut milk and give it a stir, cover and let set.

take the browned onions, garlic and shrooms and drop em into the pot with the spiced coconut milk

cut your chicken into bite sized chunks and throw the pinch of salt and pepper onto them, then brown em in the same skillet you have heated from the mushies, onions and garlic, make sure you brown it up good.
    when it's ready, put the chicken into the pot with the spiced coconut milk and veg mix, cover and leave on low, give it a little stir now and then.

now for the rice.
    2 cups of water in a pot and bring it to a rolling boil.
    when it's boiling good, put the cup of rice in.
    give it two stirs or until you see the grains in the bubbles.
    cover the pot with the lid and turn the heat off.

let it sit on the same element for 14 minutes.

check the chicken and coconut milk while the 14 minutes pass and stir it now and again then cover and simmer. don't peek at the rice, just let it cook in the covered pot.

when the 14 minutes is up, don't remove the lid on the rice pot just yet but get yer bowls and stuff ready.

stir the curry sauce.

load the rice into two bowls, ladel the curry on top of that.
    If you have some Nan around, nuke it for 30 seconds and throw it on the side of the bowl.

bada bing bada boom, yer done! enjoy!

guys, this is really good. serves two fairly hungry people or four not so hungry people.

anyone else got a recipe to share?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I want to post something....the problem is that I don't generally cook with recipes. I just have a lot of experience to draw on.

But I'll be more than happy to take requests, like "Do you have anything for 'x' "

Fair warning, I will be severely limited with fish recipes. Fish should be fed to cats, or people you don't like.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

Curry is one of my favorite spice from India.

Curry beef, curry patato, curry Tong Fu, --

Once I went to an Indian restaurant.

There is a curry menu, yellow curry, red curry on and on.

I am drooling all over the keyboard.

----

Singapore chow mein or chow fun. Shrimp fried rice stick or noodle with curry.

That would make my day.

---