Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you guys think of kung fu?

I can go with the idea that it's not the 'cutting edge' of personal combat per se, after all, I would prefer my old Car 15 with all the trim and a few fragmentation grenades......
    However, I still think if it were treated more seriously it could be a viable and really still is a viable way of defending yourself and others.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with the recreational aspect of it by any means. Unless of course you fool yourself into thinking your the walking embodiment of death itself after getting your purple belt at Sams Happy Hut of MArtial Arts..........

I don't condemn a person for being afraid of fighting, heck, I commend them for it. But I can't understand why people are afraid to train hard or realistic. A lot of people are rec kung fuers and there's nothing wrong with that, but folks, if you're teaching, for God's sake make 'em sweat a little.

I like the comments about the reality of crime and MA. That's so true. Avoid thugs and criminals if you can. MA helps, but it's NO guarantee.

So how many of you are going to buy a replica set of Hef's PJs?

like I said bar fight and street scuffles… which is nothing more than adult playground fights… and I'm not deny'n GOOD KUNG-FU's (TM) effectiveness in those situations… but as far as KF for self-defense as far as CRIME goes… illusion… I know criminals and victims... sometimes in the same person... and if u can survive the 15 man( and a few girls ) bum rush... you were more lucky than skilled... and if u dodge bullets like NEO... than the director hasn't yelled CUT yet...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

yeah, i think it's viable too. absolutely. but it's viable based on my personal choices.* not simply by virtue of it being a 'martial art.'

* and a health dose of dumb luck

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

bar fight and street scuffles… which is nothing more than adult playground fights
    another really good distinction

Suntzu, the clarification makes sense. I mostly agree. I might be the one fooling myself here but I think my martial arts will hold up in more situations I 'might' encounter then situations I won't, if that makes sense? But like I said, I am willing to admit I may be a fool here....

Ap - "yeah, i think it's viable too. absolutely. but it's viable based on my personal choices.* not simply by virtue of it being a 'martial art.'"

You wil have to excuse me I have been ill the last 4 days with a bad stomach flu so I am not all here can you clarify this?

But I can't understand why people are afraid to train hard or realistic. A lot of people are rec kung fuers and there's nothing wrong with that, but folks, if you're teaching, for God's sake make 'em sweat a little.
    Yessirrrr… but IMO as far as MA schools go… most people don’t wanna work hard… so in order to survive u gotta appeal to the folks that’s gonna pay the bills… I train in a converted garage… dues were cheap… no contracts… the instructor said he has to pay out of pocket almost every month to keep the place going... Dojo had nothing but animals training there... so pick your poison ( as a school owner )... financial sucess or a hardcore group of killers and breaking even if lucky...

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

but I think my martial arts will hold up in more situations I 'might' encounter then situations I won't, if that makes sense?
    oh I understand… when the bum rush comes I'm glad I have a lil knowledge on how to handle myself… I might break up one or two of 'em… but it will not be a pretty outcome…

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Suntzu

There may be a middle ground somewhere between realistic and still making money Sun Spoo Boy

When ones of you's finds it, posts it so's we can alls be rich-- and tough-- with lots of b!tches hanging all over us.

Lloyd's found it.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I knew Mighty Monkey Balls was gonna start slingin' his crap at me sooner or later…

I have seen the middle ground… they had Kiddie Kick and endless forms… and a couple good azzkickers… and a few hotties… not sure how they're balance sheet looked… but I don’t think they were hurting… but it was TKD... TKD keeps hotties it MUST be the PJ's

MP - stop advertising

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Ap - "yeah, i think it's viable too. absolutely. but it's viable based on my personal choices.* not simply by virtue of it being a 'martial art.'"

You wil have to excuse me I have been ill the last 4 days with a bad stomach flu so I am not all here can you clarify this?

i guess what i mean is that a person that takes martial arts classes, even for the long term, is only going to be as good as their training. what they actually do. if they do the conditioning, pound on the equipment, spar intensely, etc., then their training might be viable. but if the guy standing next to them, wearing the same uniform and the same belt, doesn't make those same choices, then there's less chance that his martial arts are going to be viable.

people tend to say "our style does this. our style specializes in close range fighting, so once i close distance on a taekwondoka, he's all mine." well, if your style does specialize in something, that suggests that much of your training will be devoted to it. and it's likely that you'll be better at it. so there's a correlation certainly. but it's still up to the person not to rest on the laurels of what the style supposedly does and actually put those things into practice.

not very profound, after all that.

stuart b.

Bah. Style vs Style pap... As good as you may be at any style, there is always that moment when you are unprepared, or ambushed, or injured from training etc etc that leaves you vulnerable. There are no new style-specific attacks under the sun. Even as a great fighter you are still subject to being run over, shot, mobbed by hordes of a$$hats. People trying to train for invincibility are grasping at straws. In the end, the ONLY thing you can control is how you face your end. Will your training allow you to die with dignity or whimpering as a little child?
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

I'm curious Suns-o-b!tch... what's your usual weigh in?

(needed an excuse to say "Suns-o-b!tch")

Sun Tzu--

What would it take to get you to come spar at Lloyd's? I'm serious. We've got some guys right in your weight class area that could use a great sparring partner.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli