Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun Future

How much do you think is missing from modern WCK?
    Realistic pressure testing...aka sparring. Too much (great) Theory, not enough testing it out. Too much 'discussion' not enough 'fighting'.
    I think wing chun can defete styles like bjj in open competition.
    OMG! Who wrote that? Look it's one thing to love wing chun, its another to get carried away. This will NEVER happen as long as Wing Chunners train the way they (mostly) do. However, those that train realistically against resisting opponents already know how.
    Why would BJJ win every time? they are ALWAYS pressure testing their art, always sparring, always fighting against the big bad :striker' who wants to knock them out, so they know how to deal with it. Wc guys don't know how to deal with a grappler. BEign that I am priviledged to have studied both BJJ & WT, I know exactly what I'm talkiingg about. I can easily find clips of "wing Chun' guys being handed their ass by BJJ guys. Look on the web.

CAn a WC'er defeat a grappler? Yes...but ONLY IF HE TRAINS REALISTICALLY. Do some sparring against a grappler and see what comes up. Thankfully, we do this at our school regularly

Emptycup

So basically you're in the camp that thinks wing chun is perfect as it is and doesnt' need changes.
    My point is the theory is relevant. Didn't mention anything about changes.

I find it hilarious when I hear all these WC practioners who keep saying the mantra that wing chun doesn't need to change or that it no longer needs improvements
    I find to hilarious when people who study WC say:

It's a simple system and efficient but could be made even simplier and more efficient.
    What ways do you think it coulds be made simpler? Please provide a few examples.

...then why would you not try to trap on the street?
    Becasue i dont try and do anything in particular. If its on offer and it's there, then i'll take it.

i meant the format is pre-arranged. Two people stand facing each other beginning in a horse stance and rotating their arms as WING CHUN practiners would do.
    How else can we do chi-sau?

Pretty limited if you don't do much else don't you think?
    Yep. That's why I like to integrate theory (which a lot can be learned and absorbed in chi-sau) with a combination of sparing. I dont think, like you say, that the theory "is not used or needed"

but wing chun practioners spend most of their time on fancy traps!!! doesn't it sound like they should spend more time instead on free fighting?
    I dont spend much time on traps. But i think free fighting can be good too, as long as you're using WC.

Please answer the questions ive posed to you, as ive taken the time to answer yours.
    S.Teebas