Thread: Passing of a Great Grandmaster

Passing of a Great Grandmaster

To All:

WE ARE SADDENED TO ANNOUNCE THE PASSING OF GREAT GRANDMASTER LAI HON KUAI SIFU (Sifu Donald Lai). LAI SIFU DIED ON WEDNESDAY JANUARY 22, 2003 AT 7:00 PM in Foster City California, USA. This is a great lost to all Jing Mo members and to the whole martial arts community.

Lai Sifu was one of original disciples of the famous saber master. Sun Yu Fung.

Lai Sifu was the first Hong Kong (then called Kowloon Jing Mo) Jing Mo (Chin Woo) Association Sifu officially sent to San Francisco, USA, to start up a Jing Mo school back in 1929. We are very grateful and honored to have had the privilege of being the recipients of his wisdom and teaching in Northern Shaolin, Northern Shaolin Lo Han, Seven Star Praying Mantis and Pa Kua.

Our condolences to the Lai family and all his love ones.

Condolences

Sad news.

Will there be a funeral coming up ? If so can you provide details.

Yours Truly

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

Buddhapalm,

Thanks for your concern.

The service is on Jan. 28 at 10:30 AM at Duggan's Serra Mortuary in Daly City. Sifu Brendan Lai's wife will be sending flowers. We left messages for Sifus Lily and Gini Lau but did not receive any response yet.

GGM Lai (Donald Lai aks, Li Hon Chia), was a classmate of Shiu Hon Sang, who taught the late Bruce Lee Jeet Kuen and other Jing Mo Sets and Tai Chien, aka, Shek Kin (in Cantonese) who plays the bad guy with the claw hand in the Bruce Lee's movie, Enter the Dragon.

GGM Lai was born in 1910 and entered the Canton Jing Mo school in 1916. His first teach was Sun Yu Fung (NSL Lo Han) and the other teachers were Chao Lin Ho (NSL), Huo Tung Ko, who was the son of the founder of Jing Mo, Huo Yuen Chia, Li Bun Si Fa (Cantonese) (Hung Chuan), Lo Kwong Yu (Northern 7*Praying Mantis) and Fu Chen Sheng (Pa Kua).

He was able to witnessed Kuo Yu Chang's demonstrations such things as when he broke 13 bricks with a slap of his Iron Palm, pick a brick in a stack and he'll break just that particular brick and leave the other bricks in the stack unbroken, perform sets such as Cha #4 and NSL #6.

He was Brenden Lai's and Wong Jack Man's martial arts "Uncle". With his passing, he takes alot of history with him and he will be missed as he is a great lost to the CMA community.

The last of the old Dragons are going. A very somber moment indeed.

r.

My deepest condolences.
    Aumitabha
    Last edited by norther practitioner; 01-28-2003 at 06:11 PM.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Like .r said, the last of the great masters have passed. These are sad times. My respect goes out to his family and friends.

Rest in Peace.

Jing Mo

ATT....Uncle
    Sorry to here this. This is not good that all the great masters are passing or getting close to passing away . Like you said "he takes alot of history with him " My condolences to the Lai family and to the Jing Mo (Chin Woo) family.

My deepest condolances.
    Aumitabha
    ~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

NorthernShaolin & the rest of the BSL community!

It's sad that someone with so much knowledge and history, and compassion for the art has passed. But, as we all know, he'll be practicing in a better place from now on! Many respects, and my condolences!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

respect to a fallen master.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

To the Lai Family,
    Ching Mo Family, and anyone connected to GGM Lai.

You have our deepest condolences.

Hui Clan