Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Five animals style kung fu

what's the history of bak mei, and also does anyone know what the story was between shaolin and bak mei?

History of Bak Mei:

A great master Cheung Laichun studied various Dongjiang region arts and developed Bakmeipai. The name and the shaolin connection is derived from a lovely novel on which many Shaw brothers films were also based.

Regards

Wu Chanlong

In heard somewhere that bak mei was considered a black art or somethin by shaolin, and that bak mei was in on some type of betrayal. is there any truth to that or is that part of a story. I also heard that his name is not to be spoken at shaolin, it all sounds like somethin from a movie, but still a good story, whether fact or fiction i'd still love to read it. any info?

Bak Mei- Five Elders Legend

Taken from a book I own: Sometime in the early 18th century, the Fukien temple was betrayed by a senior monk, Ma Yee Yuk (or Ma Ning Yee), also known as 'Bak Mei'( or White Eyebrow). As legend tells it, Ng Mui, Gee Sin, Mew Hing, Hung Si-kwan, and Fung To-tuk all escaped and dispersed to spread their arts in safety.

Apparently, Bak Mei was deeply interested in the Taoist quest for immortality, and betrayed the Shaolin Temple to aid the Manchu Imperials, and was rewarded with access to knowledge and worldly control over other Taoists. Since certain Taoist societies (or so I've read) were known to give their leaders symbolic names, it is opssible that Bak Mei was later assumed as a title. That is why the name Bak Mei actually appears in many different spots in the timeline.

So basically, Bak Mei was the original Darth Vader. I got that information from the Shaolin Gradmaster's Text, so think what you will of it.
    I hear all and know nothing.

Thanx a milloin HF, no one would ever talk about that like it was the plague or something. Finally somebody that will speak.

No, it is so convoluted that people hate speaking about it at all.

Notice you keyed in on the more confrontatinal story, as opposed to the earlier one.

Oh, on the story from the text you might want to read this post.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...&postcount=142

Quote Originally Posted by bull895
    I am curious if anyone has any info on the five animals system from shaolin. Is it still being practiced by members of the temple? I am currently studying a five animals system and have been looking for more information on the system and it seems to drop off the map fairly quick. History or legend take your pick, has it being an origional system of Shaolin but besides offshoots in certain systems, and a form in others. I have not found much. Any leads would be of great help.
    Northern shao lin as taught in or near songshan hasn't kept much of the "animals" at all, and concentrates more on later longfist elements (tan-tui, mui-fa, cha-quan, etc). With the exception perhaps of northern mantis or eagle-claw schools which are essentially lay-person styles derived from temple boxing.

Many of the southern shaolin systems however, have kept animals within their curriculum, especially the 5 family styles (also lay-person styles) Hung Ga, Choy Ga, Mok Ga, Lau Ga, and Li Ga.

I would suggest taking a good look at Hung Gar (also known as Hung Ga, Hung Ga Kuen, or just Hung Kuen) as it is the most widely taught actual "5-animal" style today. Try looking at this board's southern kung-fu thread, or google it up - there's plenty of material available.

cheers,
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Jingwu Man
    Here's me doing the five animal form I know.
    A bit sloppy, it was shot in 2003.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GaRqElpBjE
    hey does david cliff still run that school?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Master
    History of Bak Mei:

A great master Cheung Laichun studied various Dongjiang region arts and developed Bakmeipai. The name and the shaolin connection is derived from a lovely novel on which many Shaw brothers films were also based.

Regards

Wu Chanlong
    WTF????!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopping Frog
    Taken from a book I own: Sometime in the early 18th century, the Fukien temple was betrayed by a senior monk, Ma Yee Yuk (or Ma Ning Yee), also known as 'Bak Mei'( or White Eyebrow). As legend tells it, Ng Mui, Gee Sin, Mew Hing, Hung Si-kwan, and Fung To-tuk all escaped and dispersed to spread their arts in safety.

Apparently, Bak Mei was deeply interested in the Taoist quest for immortality, and betrayed the Shaolin Temple to aid the Manchu Imperials, and was rewarded with access to knowledge and worldly control over other Taoists. Since certain Taoist societies (or so I've read) were known to give their leaders symbolic names, it is opssible that Bak Mei was later assumed as a title. That is why the name Bak Mei actually appears in many different spots in the timeline.

So basically, Bak Mei was the original Darth Vader. I got that information from the Shaolin Gradmaster's Text, so think what you will of it.
    Okay, this one's much better....

hey does david cliffe still run that school?

Yup. He's my teacher and my inspiration! Now that he;s gone to Shaolin a few times, he's even crazier!
    How do you know my Sigong? Did you ever train with him?

Shaolin 5 animals school

Can I get your opinions on this school? He is a student of Shi Yan Ming. They teach New Shaolin 5 animal, arhat, and luohan, and the shaolin version of chen taijiquan as well. They also have a youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/AZShaolinKungFu. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this in advance. I want to learn martial arts I can defend myself with. Here is their school website http://www.azshaolinkungfu.com/ I live out in Surprise, AZ and i'm having trouble finding a good school.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    He is a student of Shi Yan Ming. They teach New Shaolin 5 animal, arhat, and luohan, and the shaolin version of chen taijiquan as well.
    who is "he"? there's no information on the instructor, but i recognize the logo. i think "he" posts here occasionally.

what is "new" shaolin 5 animals?

luohan is chinese for arhat.

His name is Bryan Donovan, he may post here. I was just unsure if these styles taught and the fact that it's new shaolin stuff means that I can't use it for good self defense, thanks.

Correction, was a student under Shifu Yan Ming, I don't live in New York any longer. I think there might be a typo on the site about "new shaolin". Go to my current site www.MartialArtsAz.com. 5 animal systems are southern chinese martial arts and kenpo karate. 5 animals 8 methods is a routine I teach along with small and large arhat which translates to xiao louhan quan and da louhan quan (louhan/arhat means enlightened one).