Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: read any good books lately?

read any good books lately?

Here's the situation, I'm returning an xmas gift to amazon.com so I'm going to get a bunch of credit (probably somewhere from $50-75). Of course, my first instinct is to spend on anything that can help me with my wushu. As of now, I've had (some) training in Long Fist Kung Fu, Zhaobao He style Tai Chi, though in the future I hope to expand into other styles of Kung Fu, Tai Chi, as well as learn about Ba Qua.

When it comes to nutrition, I have pretty good basic knowledge. Junkfood bad, complex carbs good, and so on. The same goes with weight training. I'm not expert, but I know more than someone who works at Ballys.

When it comes to the art itself, I'm not sure what I can learn from a book. Obviously classroom instruction is much more beneficial than learning on your own from a book.

So I was wondering, what books (or anything that is sold on amazon.com) would be beneficial to a martial artist with my goals. Thanks.
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel." - ghthomason on dating

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

Thanks for the tip, but somehow I don't think that'll help...
    "Face it. People are fukked. Why would you want a career helping anyone? Go find a mountain and farm sheep for a living." - Serpent on Personal Training

"Its a cool show, but I think this young super man is a very stupid mother ****er." - yenhoi on Smallville

"They could have had the tagline "Watch Joe Millionaire. More stuff will happen," and they'd have been there." - eulerfan on TV watching Americans

"Anyway, I used to pick girls up all the time in the gym when I was in college. We'd hang out until the aerobics classes ended, and then swoop in while all their endorphins were still pumping.

"I would say that there is a greater chance of a paper dog catching and asbestos cat in hell, while in the lost city of Atlantis, Elvis and Ghengis Khan are using butterfly nets to catch the opera-singing monkeys flying out of my butt, but that implies there's still a chance." - Starboy on optimism

The Trilogy...

I read the Torah, Bible and Koran.

Very scary.

Get books about the "basics & principles" of the styles that you are interested in.

Don't waste money on Books that teach forms and the like.

The 3 Books in the "Warrior of stillness" series or similar are a good start.
    Witty signature under construction.

I read the Torah, Bible and Koran.

Very scary.
    The Bible was kinda disappointing. Lousy ending, no room for a sequel...

Get books about the "basics & principles" of the styles that you are interested in.
    I wasn't sure how much these would help. I mean, I'll have a sifu teaching me all this. I just have this credit at amazon.com, and I want to spend it on my training if I can.

Have I read any good books lately? Yes. Yes I have. One of the best I've ever read, actually. It's called "The Society of the Spectacle" and it was written by Guy DeBord, a intellectual of the Situationist International movement, back in the 60s. The book is a critique of modern society, and how the citizenry at large is made into passive observers by media and government power structures. DeBord points out that consuming products has become an end in and of itself, and that work has become merely the creation of consumables. We are mediated from our own lives by a constant barrage of input that we have little to no control over and that eventually, because it is so overwhelming and omnipresent becomes a form of mind control. He goes on to point out many other insights about the numbing, distancing nature of the modern world.

It may not help you fight better, but it definitely belongs on your shelf with the Tao Te Ching and the Chuan Tzu.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Starboy.

It will still help.

I study Chen TJQ and got a few Books about my style at home and maybe around 300 bookmarks to related sites.

BTW, can't wait for the new one to be published, got a few sample pages from the guy that did the translation, lets hope he can find a publisher soon.

Anyhuh, the books will help you understand the basics and principles and how to apply them.

Take at look at "Warriors of stillness", each of the Books deals with one of the 3 internal Arts and explains their basics and principles.

A good read by a non-mainstream MA.

If your Sifu has a book out, than get those over others.

Forgot to metnion one thing.

Some really good MA Books you will not be able to buy via Amazon.

Some of the best MA Books I got I needed to order from a small shop somewhere else on this globe.

The "Lone Wolf and Cub" books are being reprinted and they're fantastic.
    K. Mark Hoover

They sure are, Budokan. I want to be able to draw swordfights that exciting.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Yeah man, I'm loving those Lone Wolf books at the moment. I'm up to about #15 or 16.

They only go up to #28, then the dude (writer I think) went and died! So inconsiderate.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I am currently reading the re-issue of Kenji (Child of the Fist), on Book 7 of 12.

Originally I think it was also 28 volumes, but the re-issue is in a smaller more compact format.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    It may not help you fight better, but it definitely belongs on your shelf with the Tao Te Ching and the Chuan Tzu.
    Hey, CSN. What version of Chuang Tzu have you read? I'm reading a translation by Herbert A Giles at the moment. The translation is very good, but the commentary inserted into the text is often bloody annoying.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Actually, I don't own one. I read various versions I've found posted on the internet, and don't remember who did the translations. Praise the Public Domain!

Offtopic, but hey, I'm here.

I checked a bunch of Bartok CDs from the library today. I'm prepared to say that he's the greatest thing since stinky cheese.
    Crippled Avenger

Cool man.

What makes Bartok so special then?