Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gung Hay Faat Choy Everyone!!!! Happy New Year!!!

Eddie,

"fried sheep brains (still inside the skull)"

Now that's got to be on the manu of the New Year's Eve Banquet. What better way to welcome the Year of the Ram!

Jaza,

Most Chinamen can't hold their drinks, including me, so we will see some spectcular Jue Kuen the next few days! Watch out for the Gwa Sow "Chuck", it's deadly!

Happy new year to everyone
    true wealth comes from good health and wise ways.

Eddie you should give the chickens feet a try (I think there pronounced vung jow or fung jow), whenever I order dim sum they are on the top of the list. Fu-Pow you should also try the aap ja (Duck's feet) as well.

Wishing you all a happy and a prosperous New Year
    Last edited by alecM; 01-30-2003 at 12:34 PM.
    "Ira furor brevis est !"
    ====================;;;;<>
    I didn't want fries with that or even soda doesn't any one in this dam country ever listen.

I have never quite understood why chicken feet are called "fung jow". I though that would translate to Phoenix Claws. Wouldn't chicken feet be "Gai Jow", everyone knows peeps like to eat "gai".

Peace.

CLFNole,

A sex worker is also called a "gai" in Cantonese so it is not very auspicious to eat a sex worker's claw, It is hard to tell where it has been. "Gai Jow" could also mean being clawed by a sex worker so that is not desirable either. "Fung Jow" is a much better euphemisn.

We also eat snakes and cats, but we call them Lung (Dragon) and Fu (Tiger) instead. I wonder what would be an auspicious name for "fried sheep brains (still inside the skull)", may be Eddie can tell us.

Don't laugh, we have the whole Chinese New Year's manu made up in food with auspicious sounding names like "Hoe Si Faat Choy", where "Hoe Si" are oyster and it sound like "good affairs"; "Faat Choy" are a type of vegetable that look like a bundle of crooked black hairs and it sounds like "sudden wealth", so to eat a dish of "Hoe Si Faat Choy" means you will have good business (or good affairs - wink, wink.) and get rich suddenly in the new year. My mother used to always cook a dish of that in the Chinese New Year's Eve family bash even though I hate the stuff but I always eat some, you'll never know.....

Kung Ho Son Hei!

Gung hei faat choy, everyone!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Blog Entries
    Gung Hei Faat Choy!

So what tea or wine goes best with Chicken Feet??

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    I don't know but cold Sake sure sounds good.

Happy New Year

Faat Choi! Faat Choi!

Chickens feet are great.... You can keep the ducks feet though, its not worth the effort. And Ducks tounges too, don't forget there's a bone in the middle....

Yum Cha,

With a name like yours, you must do a lot of that. I haven't seen duck's tongue on the Yum Cha manu for a while now, but fish heads are still very popular with the Chinese.

I have a theory: the Chinese know from experience that we need to have good tongue kung fu to eat a fish head quickly and when we are good at tongue kung fu, there are some side benfits that the Chinese value highly, I think that is why they keep on eating fish heads. Of course, the fish heads do taste good in garlic and black bean sauce as well.

Since I like to keep on improving my tongue kung fu, I order fish heads every time I go Yum Cha. Do you?

Fu-Pow,

IMO, warm sake taste better when the snow is falling outside. Besides, you can drink more with less headache.

Joseph

Yes, I have been refered to as a Master of Yum Cha, but I myself, lay no claim to the title, it is only something that can be given to you by others...

My favourite combination is Fung Jau, Har Gau, Bo Li, and then whatever the environment dictates...

Fish heads, deep fried, just crunch the whole thing up..... Me, I'm trying to avoid the deep fried, but sometimes resistance is futile....

Ducks toungs are usually banquet stuff, served on a bed of stir fried jellyfish, with bbp pork, etc... All the culinary richness of chewing on an old baloon...

You have to understand, with all these top quality martial artists in Sydney, there is an exceptional infrastructure to feed them as well.

Keep smiling

Re: Joseph

Originally posted by Yum Cha
    You have to understand, with all these top quality martial artists in Sydney, there is an exceptional infrastructure to feed them as well.

Keep smiling
    Ain't that the truth!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Ahh.. so you are the elusive Jeung Mun Yan of Yum Cha Pai! Your claim has just been discredited by the American Yum Cha Pai Federation. You better watch out mate, you are in real trouble now, Australians always do what the Americans told them to do...

Sydney, isn't it full of bushfires at the moment and the Afgan refugees are falling out of the tress?

Just kidding. You have a nice one. Kung Hei Faat Choy!

ROTFL

That was quick EJ, I'll have to give you points for that one.

Yea, the bushfires are so bad, all the roos have come into town, and traffic is gridlocked.

What about dogs? I'd eat dog. They're filthy animals.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm