Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eating beef again!???

true... like now i can be up at 3am, have 6 slices of toast, some ice cram and a drink and not have to worry about putting on any weight

any more?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Of course....

Lots more...

er..

Look! A giraffe!

*runs away*
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

LMAO

dawood

Hey, here's something else. We can usually run faster and further!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

true, usually from those big guys (or ladies ) who trouble us

dawood

You can squeeze through a cat flap to rob people.

But you'd have trouble getting the TV and VCR back out the same way, I guess. You'd have to just stick with taking jewellry and cash.

LMAO... ur obviously not a theif... once in u can open the door from INSIDE

dawood

Originally posted by dezhen2001
    LMAO... ur obviously not a theif... once in u can open the door from INSIDE

dawood
    Oh yeah!

****, I'm an honest guy!

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    GDA has orgasmic pleasure mocking tubby people
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

im sure ur a diamond geezer
    Xebs: i almost had to spit our my drink of water there when i read that

dawood

Originally posted by dezhen2001
    im sure ur a diamond geezer
    I do me best.

Actually, crock-pots are excellent for a busy cook. I don't actually own one myself, but then, I have a stove and an oven, and if I need a "crock pot," I just toss my stew/braise/what-have-you in the oven on low and let it do its thing overnight, vice a very specific tool like a crock pot.

A crock pot is, however, a massively useful thing. It turns out soups, stews, and braises very, very easily. A few cuts you might wish to consider for use in a crock pot--FWIW, all of these cuts are inexpensive because wet cooking like this is designed for meats heavy in connective tissue, which breaks down and lends body, flavor, moistness to the dish. They do, however, make awful steaks.

Beef-
    Stay away from: Anything labeled rib eye, anything-loin, anything strip, anything flat-iron. These are good eating but will be expensive and ruined by braising. They will become dry and tasteless. Do not use skirt, hanger or flank steak for braises unless you enjoy sawdust like textures, and want to bring back odd memories of eating pencil shavings as a child. Also stay away from anything labeled round. This is a popular roast for many people for braising, and I find this sort of mystifying. Round roasts of any sort are lean with little connective tissue. Nice for rare roast beef you can make VERY thin slices out of and serve as a sandwich. Horrible for braising. Do not use "stew meat." You have no idea what you are getting, and it is usually more expensive than buying a good roast and cutting it up yourself.

DO use--Chuck, short ribs, shins, brisket, oxtail. Chuck is the most readily availabe and usually pretty cheap. Short ribs and oxtail can also be cheap depending on availability, but chuck is sort of my "standby." I always have one laying around in the freezer. Brisket tends to be a bit more expensive, and a little more lean. It's the same cut classic corned beef is made from. It also requires a bit more attention, so it may not be suitable for your schedule.

Pork-

Don't use any type of loin anything, no pork chops. Country ribs can be used, but are sometimes too dry for just walking away from. I like boston butt the best. It's got plenty of fat and can take benign neglect quite well. It's also fantastically cheap. Just slap in in the crock pot and let it do its thing. If you're making a stew or chili or something, you may wish to stop the cooking before it falls apart completely... but there is another, wonderful use for boston butt: Pulled pork sandwiches. A little salt and pepper, throw the butt in the crock pot, and let it cook to death. When you come back, pull it out and coarsely shred it. Grab some hamburger buns and some of your favorite barbeque sauce and you're in business. I like mine with coleslaw on the sandwich and a vinegar based sauce, but that's up to you .

Lamb-

You have to be kind of careful with Lamb. The fat has a VERY strong flavor, and it has a very heavy, greasy mouth feel. Drinking ice cold water with a lamb dish is a bad idea. The fat congeals on the tongue. It's a bad idea, IME. Trim the meat fairly carefully. Breast and leg of lamb are both pretty good. It's hard to find other cuts anyway. If you like the flavor, go with the slightly purplish older lamb. It's almost mutton, but it's a little cheaper, usually.

Root vegetables stand up to long term braising well, and canned stocks are not too bad for standby work. Poultry makes crap braises, as does any sort of seafood. Although, squid can actually take a beating. However, since I don't like fish much, you won't catch me making it.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

Very good advice. (I'd know. I'm a chef.)
    MP has done his homework.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

MP: Thanks for the instruction! We'll see if I buy a crock pot. How much do they cost? I'm not usually one for stews, though. How much stew would it take to get 600-800 calories?

Next question, what's a "braise?"

Thanks

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.