Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Eating beef again!???

Iron, not as much stew as you might think. Getting 600-800 cals should be fairly simple. Plenty Potatoes and good meat and some bread with butter and you're looking fine. Remember that fats add calories quickly. Heck, make a side salad and use one tablespoon of oil in the dressing and you're looking at 120 cals added right there.

Crockpots vary in price. I really don't know what they go for.

A braise is just cooking in liquid over an extended period of time. Vindaloos, chili, stews, pot roast, tangines, adobos...they're all just braises, really, with a bit more liquid. A casserole is essentially a stew and a starch. Shepherds pie anyone?

The best thing about them is they keep well--they stand up to constant reheating. Make a huge batch and leave it in the fridge and you'll get good meals for a bit. As opposed, to say, stirfry.

Take something like chili--make it, serve it over/with potatoes, rice, pasta (cincinatti anyone?) add some cheese and some sour cream... You're looking at a quick meal with loads of calories. Or use some tortillas, etc. I think you get the idea.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

You can use the crockpot to make pinto or red kidney bean, too.

The best thing is, you won't burn down the dormitory as it is electrically heated.

Cool, but I'm in an apartment so I get my own stove

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

cincinatti 5 way chilli is awesome. my mom's side of the family is in cincinatti, and I make it a point to hit skyway chilli every time I go.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Cincinatti chili, while excellent, should not be entitled to the name "chili." That's blasphemy!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli