Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shaolin In Music

origenx Guest
    That's why I think it's important for the intent of the law to be included with the law. Because what's important is the intent, not the letter, of the law. So, there are many speculations why meat is prohibited or avoided (cruelty, health, etc.), but what was the original reason why???

Anyways, I think red meat at least has clearly been shown to have negative health effects, particularly on your colon. Just ask any pathologist who's seen a couple. As for meat in general, it is an acid-producing food upon digestion, which is currently hypothesized to possibly leach calcium and minerals out of your bones from your bloodstream, amongst other things. Which might help explain America's relatively high rate of osteoporosis compared to other countries that actually have lower rates of calcium in their diets.

Anyways, on the other hand, it seems most of the hi-level Eastern masters tend to be vegetarian. I think perhaps once your energy system reaches a high state, you actually function better without meat. But, until then, for the ordinary individual, you might still need meat more.

And so I myself am moving in that direction as a personal experiment. I've sorta been tapering off meat for a bit now and actually haven't eaten any in the past 2 days now in fact! Not really from willpower, but just a natural progression where I don't feel the desire to eat meat. So, we'll see..

Incidentally, the Songshan Shaolin monks helped an ancient emperor in battle and were subsequently granted an exemption by him from the Buddhist meat/booze prohibition (regardless of the fact that an emperor in reality has no spiritual authority). This, and in fact fighting/killing to begin with, is actually a corruption of true Buddhism. But I don't know if this exemption still officially stands or not with the Shaolin Temple.

brokenfist Guest

master fighter?

If you want to see a master fighter, get between me and a sirloin. Seriously, lay off the meat bashing, please. It's your choice whether or not you choose to eat meat. As for the studies on the effects of meat on the body, they're still inconclusive. There are simply too many contradicting studies.

"I got no dukes" -the goat

Taijimantis Guest

Apologies.

I sincerely apologize if you feel you have been slighted.

I was unaware that there was any "meat-bashing" going on. For my part I was simply asking what is the proper behavior for a Buddhist, especially a devout buddhist like a monk, who has taken vows.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you feel so irritated by the postings here?

As for me I do not care if anyone eats meat or not. I was only concerned with those professing to be Buddhist, missing the point of cultivating bodhichita. That is to think of all sentient beings, friends, family, indifferent people, enemies , or animals as your mother. Because as a Buddhist one would believe that because of our infinate past lives, the possibility is great that any one of these beings has been or will be our mother in one of them.

You wouldnt eat your mother, would you? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This is how you cultivate compassion. Envision the unconditional love a child has for its mother and apply it to all sentient beings.

Again I would look to myself to understand why I was so offended.
    As for me I offered no offense. So again I apologize if you felt I had attacked you.

Namaste.

Hey, a decade-old ttt

Slight OT but got to give it up for the ttt.

Irepress, 'Shaolin Knights' -- Song Download
    Posted on Nov 5th 2010 12:00PM by Matt Debenedictis

The ever-evolving, trance-inducing Irepress have released the new song 'Shaolin Knights,' and it's available for free download. That's right, the band's first studio output with new guitarist Benji Gram -- who before being tapped was the band's tech and roadie -- is just being given to you.

On the first note, 'Shaolin Knights' feels different than the space-prog that dazzled 'Sol Eye Sea I.' But for the lovers of that sound, fear not. The sonic meddling comes in heavy later in the track. 'Shaolin Knights' features vocals from Jesse Korman, formerly of the Number 12 Looks Like You, with keyboardist Jarrett Ring tackling the melody, making this close to the most lyrics the primarily instrumental band has had since their frontman-laden beginnings.

According to Irepress, this is a return to their roots and is dedicated to all to the family members and friends that "that made us who we are and the days we will never forget. We'll be here forever." With the open-fisted chorus of "when we were young, there were no complications," that sentiment cannot be missed.

The band is about to head out for a long tour in Europe, but they'll return to the States for the eighth annual Last Night on Earth show in Cambridge, Mass. with Constants and Caspian on Dec. 30.
    No, I didn't download it.

For more Kung-Fu Music...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More ttt-ing this old thread

Slightly OT, but here you go:
    Is it a rapper? Is it a Kung Fu expert? It's both!
    November 17, 2010

IT doesn’t get more original than this. Rapper with a difference, Mr ShaoDow, performs his unique show combining his musical and martial skills at The Back Line, in Guildford, on Tuesday at 3pm.

At the age of 18 he travelled to China to learn Shaolin Kung Fu, an art that has influenced his music heavily ever since.

His love for song writing stemmed from his travels and after becoming tired of hearing the same regurgitated negative messages and seeing same the uninspiring, egotistical rappers, he decided that rather than sit around and complain, he would stand up and instigate change.

ShaoDow continued with his relentless approach while studying in Oxford. His debut song, Look Out There’s A Black Man Coming, made fourth in Oxfordshire’s Top 20 Chart for 2007, coming after The Foals and Radiohead at second and third respectively.

To date, he is known to work a wide range of genre including, dubstep, funky house, hip hop, rock, jazz, grime, etc.

He solo released his first three singles, The Grime Single, Look Out the Single and R U Stoopid!?, to all major download sites and now travels the country selling his EP That’s MR ShaoDow To You.

He recently appeared on Tim Westwood’s BBC 1Xtra show and is known to use his talents to help with charitable organisations including Love Music Hate Racism, the Mouth Cancer Foundation and anti-bullying campaigns with young people.

The event at Backline will also feature DJ Jeepa, Stevey Jay and MC Deeflux.

Tickets cost £5 in advance, £7 on the door and admittance is 18+. For advance tickets visit www.mrshaodow.com/shows.
    I'm changing this from Shaolin Monks in Music Videos to Shaolin in Music
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Strangely captivating...

Beautiful Tibetan Musical Notations Visualize the Rise and Falls of Buddhist Chants
    By Sara Barnes on April 30, 2019

Photo: The Hum

Musical notations can go far beyond what is indicated on the page. For Tibetan Buddhists, these figures have religious importance that represent sacred sounds and ceremonies that have been passed along for generations. Visually beautiful, the sweeping notations help to shape their rituals by offering other forms of devotions, ways to ward off “feral spirits,” as well as summon divine figures.

For those that don’t understand the meanings of the intricate musical notations, they seem to resemble tiny landscapes on paper. The peaks and valleys, however, describe a myriad of instructions—from rhythmic patterns to instrumental arrangements. The symbols are a guide for the ritual performance; music is understood to be paired with the likes of “chanting, visualizations, and hand gestures.”

The Yang tradition is considered to be one of the most revered and elaborate traditions in Tibetan music. Using the Yang-Yig system of notation, we can understand the essence of the music by the marks. “The chant consists of smoothly effected rises and falls in intonation, which are represented by complex curved lines,” The Schoyen Collection notes. “The notation also frequently contains detailed instructions concerning in what spirit the music should be sung (e.g. flowing like a river, light like bird song) and the smallest modifications to be made to the voice in the utterance of a vowel.” Sung at a low pitch, the pace is meant to linger to allow for “full expression of the chanted text.”

Tibetan Buddhist musical notations are beautiful symbols of devotion.

Photo: The Schoyen Collection

The elaborate marks describe rhythmic patterns and instrumental arrangements, and they’re also a guide for the ritual performance.

Photo: Jo De Baerdemaeker

The symbols are a guide for the ritual performance; music is understood to be paired with the likes of “chanting, visualizations, and hand gestures.”

Photo: Jo De Baerdemaeker

Watch Tibetan monks perform amazing throat singing (a form of chanting) below:
    I love Tibetan chanting.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

I remember after a zazen session at Tassajara Zendo, the leading monk asked the question 'why do Buddhists chant?' and one of the participants answered 'because they can't sing on key.'

Devil horns meet sutras in Taiwan's Buddhist death metal band
    SEAN CHANG
    AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
    Taipei, Taiwan / Thu, November 26, 2020 / 07:03 pm

This picture taken on October 18, 2020 shows members of Taiwanese death metal band Dharma practicing during a rehearsal in Taipei. (AFP/Sam Yeh)

The gig began with a nun chanting on stage but suddenly erupted into a wall of noise unleashed by distorted guitars and screamed sutras -- the unique sound of Taiwan's first Buddhist death metal band.

The island has a vibrant metal scene but few outfits are quite as eye-catching as "Dharma".

The band aims to deliver enlightenment via the medium of throaty eight-string guitars and guttural roars.

Dressed in robes -- black, of course -- they use traditional Sanskrit sutras as lyrics. But everything else screams death metal, from bloody face paint on stage, to growled vocals, relentless riffs and double-kick blast beats.

Founder and drummer Jack Tung first came up with the idea 14 years ago after listening to a recording of Tibetan lamas reciting sutras.

"The way it's sung is like in metal, with some voice distortion," he told AFP, referencing the often throaty low nature of Tibetan chanting.

"This is very similar to death metal music which I like."

Get behind me Satan

On the face of it, death metal and Buddhism might not appear to be the most natural of bedfellows.

Early death metal bands -- and to a more significant extent their black metal cousins -- often reveled in Satanic and occult themes.

While many were simply trying to shock, some bands -- especially out of Scandinavia -- were committed Satanists or vehemently anti-religion.

But like any genre, the scene evolved to welcome a vast array of views and philosophies.

Miao-ben, the Buddhist nun who opened a recent Dharma gig in Taipei with traditional chanting, said she had no issue taking the stage alongside such music.

"Buddhism is not set in form. Having Buddha in our hearts is more important," she told AFP.

Unlike more dogmatic faiths, she added, Buddhism is syncretic.

"This is just another form of Buddhist sutra ceremony," she said of the set-list.

'Be respectable'

Bringing Dharma together was not easy.

"I asked many people and nobody wanted to be in a 'religious' choir," laughed Tung, a practicing Buddhist.

He decided to work on the songs first, primarily with guitarist Andy Lin, who also grew up in a devout family, and find remaining band mates later.

They sought the advice of Buddhist Master Chan Song, who provided interpretations of the ancient text and rituals.

Among Master Song's students was Joe Henley, a Canadian who moved to Taiwan 15 years ago and is now the lead singer.

"Buddhism has become a regular part of my life now," said Henley, explaining his decision to covert. "I want to do this right. I wanted to be respectable."

The band's first single "Sapta Jina Bhasitam Papa Vinasana Dharani", an incantation about peace and wellness, is currently being mastered at a Polish studio and will be released next month.

"We are getting a lot of attention, I guess because we are doing something new," said Henley.

"I am enjoying the ride, enjoying the experience."

Read also: Metal band Amerta debuts with superb single 'Bleeker'

Evangelist aim

Tung, who declined to give his age, grew up when Taiwan was a dictatorship and authorities heavily censored rock and metal.

The island transitioned towards democracy in the 1980s and 1990s and Tung devoured whatever he could find.

Bands like Guns N' Roses and Cinderella introduced him to rock while pioneers such as Sepultura and Napalm Death got him hooked on the more extreme metal.

Taiwan has since morphed into one of Asia's most progressive democracies with vibrant artistic communities and sub-cultures.

The island's most famous metal act "Chthonic", which utilizes traditional instruments like the erhu alongside guitars, has toured globally and is fronted by Freddie Lim, a now prominent politician.

Younger generations, especially those in the cities, have embraced a distinctly Taiwanese identity and are less likely to be as religious as their parents.

Tung hopes to change that in whatever way he can via music.

"We have democracy and lots of freedom and we live in a very open society," he explained. "But social morality has declined".

Dharma's live act is deliberately infused with Buddhist traditions. The sutras are projected on screens so fans can read them.

Their face paint embodies the fierce looking deities found in many temples that fight evil spirits.

"You can't defend god by being nice and polite," said Tung.

Celine Lin, 27, came to Dharma's gig with a friend and was looking up Buddhist texts on her phone during the break.

"The music blew my mind," she enthused. "It got me interested in sutras and their meanings."

That is music to Tung's ears.

"If we can influence one person who came to see our performance... I consider the performance a success," he said.
    Eager to hear Dharma.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips