Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biu Jee Punches

TjD -
    i think the uppercut is one of wing chun's more powerful strikes.
    Can you explain why you think it's more powerful than a normal strike? Assuming you also have the hook in your lineage, would you say it's less or more powerful than this?

Depends-IMO-who, what, when, how and to whom.

yuanfen -

'what' is the uppercut.
    'when' is in the Chum Kiu form.
    'to whom' is in relation to you.

I am not entirely sure what 'who' is relevant to, but the 'how' is the matter I would like you to give the answer to my original question on, if you would be kind enough to be forthcoming.

Which punch is more powerful (straight, hook, uppercut, etc...) depends on who, what, when, how and to whom.

strike!

Also, IMO, WCK uppercut, like yuanfen says about the hook, is unlike the boxers uppercut in structure, mechanics, etc. Just the same general angle and use.
    strike!

Originally posted by Rill
    TjD -

Can you explain why you think it's more powerful than a normal strike? Assuming you also have the hook in your lineage, would you say it's less or more powerful than this?

i just feel i can penetrate much deeper/cause more damage with an uppercut. the angle that it hits at, the closeness of the body and the additional use of the bicep allow for a big load of whammo.

its much easier to get your body behind the uppercut than the hook. the hook comes more from torquing the body. i suppose someome with a different body type than mine could have a stronger hook than uppercut - but for me, my uppercut is definately stronger.
    Travis

structure in motion

Rill- to answer your question. In Chum Kiu (mine anyway)-there is a section where there is forward stepping with bong/ wu and rolling down three times. At the end of the third motion you convert to a drilling midsectional punch or better still to an uppercut. The stepping, turning and the trajectory makes ita suoerb tool. But you can do similar things with the wing chun hook as well- at very close quarters- it cam go through or past guards. You can do both on the dummy as well.

yuanfen - Thank you for the response, the clarity and lineage specific details were exactly what I was after.

the "whipping punches" are often used more as a double grab in Biu tze and when incorporated with juen ma ; a pull to the side into the the subsequent uppercut. Regarding Chum kiu, I have often applied the uppercut with fook sau energy in chi sao; essentially straight from bong sao to fook sau
    I will always be a student