Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Is GW Bush Cursed

And if Gore had managed to win his home state of Tennessee, he would have won!

In regard to felons not being allowed to vote, I'm going to have to look that one up myself!

Its not that felons coulnt vote , thats the law. its that Bush knowing most of the black vote would go to Gore got as many black voters named as felons as he could.

The company that was used to go through the voter register and find felons even said that they are going to name loads of non felons with the really loose criteria they were told to work with (80% match was thought to be ok) but were told to shut up and get on with it.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

The FL "problem" was found in a traditionally democratic controlled area. Here's what happened when a press recount was done:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...loridamain.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,2344,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/flo...ries/main.html

No doubt you can find die-hard crazed liberals who will still rabidly insist that, "Bush stole the election!" But, I don't think anyone takes them too seriously...especially since the recount. Here's a quote from CNN...one of the most heavily partisan (as in leaning toward the democrats) news organizations around:
    "Suppose that Gore got what he originally wanted -- a hand recount in heavily Democratic Broward, Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Volusia counties. The study indicates that Gore would have picked up some additional support but still would have lost the election -- by a 225-vote margin statewide. "

I guarantee someone will come along now and post some fringe/nut case website "proving" that Bush stole the election.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Radhnoti, I certainly agree that we need to avoid a tyranny of the majority situation and avoid a pure democracy for the reasons that you outlined. By contrast, I feel that needs to be balanced with an understanding that such actions cause an underrepresentation of urban residents. That's why I have always liked the notion of 2 houses, one population based and one region based. But for the national presidential election, I believe that a direct election is the way to go. We can agree to disagree though. I just don't believe that the states would revolt over it. If there weren't riots in November of 2002, I don't think there'd be riots over this. (Please note I do not mean to imply there should have been riots or anything of the sort, but given the frustration level and the sense of disenfranchisement and disconnection from the process that people on both sides of the fence felt as it occurred, in retrospect I am a bit surprised.) But unless it actually happens, we are both just speculating. I see why you think there'd be a revolt, I just disagree. And we can argue speculation all day.

dnc, what 'libs' are complaining about is that there was a meeting that was initially denied and that the minutes of said meeting have never been revealed because it was 'contrary to the national interests'. So if he turned down an appeal for a bailout why not tell us? That could only give him more political clout. And maybe he did, I don't know and neither do you. But then again, I admit that I don't know rather than speculating and stating my speculation as fact. And as to him not responding... so the president shouldn't be accountable to a majority voting pupulation that voted against him? Including a plurality that voted for a single opponent? Sort of thought constituent accountability was included in the notion of representative democracy. Silly me.

Radhnoti, amen. I just hope we get the UN on board. Personally been in favor of military action against Iraq for years, I just don't get to make that call. And by int'l law, neither does the US and I think that is what is presently bothering me. We aren't the world police and the admin is talking like we are. (I'd certainly like to see military action against China too but again not really our right.)
    Most fights start standing up. Keep it there.-standup school
    Most fights end up on the ground. Take it there.-ground school
    Fights start where they start and go where they go. Go or take it whereever works best.-MMA

On Felon List:

I remeber reading an article that went so far as to list the list that was used. They highlited some dates where people where "covicted" in like 2021 and such.

Oh, and wasn't that company based in TEXAS as well?

funny...

I was off skiing and practicing tai chi on the side of a mountain 2000 miles away for the last four days...and BOY! did I ever miss out a lot here.

I'm gonna read this hyar thread from where I remember last ruminating about something or other and will place my replies following that.

Did I insult someone here? I just caught that in a quick sweep through of the thread.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Uh, sorry pals but the whole state of Florida was recounted. In end October/beginning November 2001 the European press published it. Do research people. Outside the US press that is controlled.

Now, you also know about the Supreme Court apology that was issued to the American people in February 2001 BUT published in European papers and not in the US. It stated how the justices were sorry about over stepping their bounds (they had NO constitutional right to declare a President...therefore Bush is NOT legally President of the US) and apologized. IT was NOT published in the US.

Do your research people.
    Rai (Italian TV reported it).
    You could definately find it elsewhere.

Besides, the week of the elections, Bush visited ONE government department as "elected president" then decided to wait for the others. Which department was that???????

The CIA.

The US reported that. Research people.
    Stop being so lazy and depending on your local paper.
    Read.
    Suggestion, Chomsky.

geez.....
    You know how Americans are, Kiki. They all love to travel, and then they only want to meet other Americans and talk about how hard it is to get a decent hamburger.
    From Naked Lunch (1991)

Have to agree with NYerRoman, that foreign papers and news-media often get info that we don't see published in the USA.

Unless I read thew rong US-Newspapers online and watch the wrong news channels.

But to a certain degree this is true for ALL the Countries

Also read the op/ed & Readers Letters written by people NOT of your Country, it can be an eye-opener.

Your duty as a Citizen is to question your Goverment and HOW can you do that if you only got local news and viewpoints to base your opinion on.

I doubt that the News that Saddam & Bush wear the same shoes was widely published within the USA.
    Witty signature under construction.

eeessshh the same shoes!?!?!

that explains things, Now, improperly ventalated foot ware... THAT's a weapon of Mass distruction!!!

"Uh, sorry pals but the whole state of Florida was recounted. In end October/beginning November 2001 the European press published it. Do research people. Outside the US press that is controlled."

Yes, it was recounted. Just not hand counted. That's on the CNN website by the way, it's not some controlled secret of the US government. And bear in mind that ALL countries control their press with extreme detail. The notion that foreign publications such as the European speak the truth and the US does not is absolutely silly. It's MORE LIKELY that NONE OF THEM are speaking the truth, isn't it?

"Now, you also know about the Supreme Court apology that was issued to the American people in February 2001 BUT published in European papers and not in the US. It stated how the justices were sorry about over stepping their bounds (they had NO constitutional right to declare a President...therefore Bush is NOT legally President of the US) and apologized."

When did the Supreme Court declare a president? I remember them telling a baby he couldn't have his "hand recount" bottle, but there was this big election that took place before that, and as is the tradition, THAT is what declared the president (barring government conspiracy, of course).

"Bush is NOT legally President of the US"

You're right, let's have Gore be president. He can throw billions of dollars at Saddam and keep him quiet for a few more years. Maybe Bush is doing the same thing by a different route, but realize that the alternative is no better.

"IT was NOT published in the US."

Does that mean it's true?

Bush is president now, for better or worse. It would be far more mentally stimulating for us to talk about the future. AND don't forget, you can only change a sysytem by working within it, so after we're done talking here maybe one of us will go on to make a difference!

Marky.

It is not a question if the Non-US media got more accurate data or not.
    But in order to form an Opinion you need to consider as many viewpoints and their supporting data as possible.

In many cases foreign correspondents are free to release info that is ofen downplayed in the local media.
    Other countries also got Intelligence agencies, analysts and so on.

Also how do you know that the info given to the USA from Missad, British Intel, etc is not already biased and maybe not complete.

You know the old saying:
    "You are always the last one to get the News/Data that concern/affect you."

Where I am I heard questions about 9/11 and if the US goverment was involved and suppressing info withn 2 days after it happened.
    To be honest for me there are still too many questions oncerning 9/11 unanswered.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 02-10-2003 at 06:10 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

"AND don't forget, you can only change a sysytem by working within it..."

Not true. That's just the socially acceptable way to do it. Not always the likeliest.

I find it incredibly unlikely that the U.S. media, would "cover" for Pres. Bush. I do, however, concede that they will lazily accept White House press releases without much research.

Of interest...I think: A polling of journalism students in college revealed their number one reason for wanting to go into the media. To CHANGE the world. Not report, or observe. Change. I agree that it's wise to draw upon as many sources as possible.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

agreed - all my journalist friends say the same... but then think about getting a job as a low person in a big corporation that has worldwide power, getting comfortable in your job and so many people 'guiding' you (and controling the press as 'editors'... then what could happen?

The naivity that u can change the world would quickly go out the window due to being scared for your job and people above you controlling what u can do or say.

just some thoughts on the opposite

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Marky...wake up.
    The freeist press in the world is Finland. Then other Scandinavian countries, then Canada. Netherlands is in there too.

US media is controlled. The Supreme Court decided that George Bush was president after declaring a deadline and a finality to a recount. That's called "saying he's prez".

Read Chomsky. MEDIA CONTROL and UNDERSTANDING POWER.

Look at www.zmag.org
    Go under Znet.
    There are articles from dissident US professors and political scientists that do not subscribe to US corporate news, i.e. CNN.

Look and you shall find. Stop being such a moron.
    baci
    You know how Americans are, Kiki. They all love to travel, and then they only want to meet other Americans and talk about how hard it is to get a decent hamburger.
    From Naked Lunch (1991)