Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training one side or the other

Training one side or the other

When you ladies are training, do you tend to focus on your strong side, weak side, or try to split up training between both sides?

I train both sides.
    strike!

a one armed bird only flies in circles.

Yenhoui, ST00 - would you both say you train both sides equally?

Nope. don't even try.

No, because I sparr the majority of the time with a right lead Not to mention it is naturally my strong side.

Most of the time I drill both sides the same amount as much as possible, sometimes I drill the left a little more (just cause it takes longer sometimes to catch on...)
    strike!

I train all techniques on both sides but I emphasise different things when it comes to putting them together.

I prefer to fight southpaw as a hangover from MT when I could let rip with rear left kicks much better than rear right. I can fight orthodox pretty well, but I use different techniques from there. I think it's a standard issue - if Im in orthodox stance I am a little more open-bodied (squarer) as I'm weaker at throwing rear-right kicks so I need to rely on my right-arm a lot more (being squarer gives me more room).

For example, if Im in southpaw I will train to setup my left leg round kick - standard r jab, l cross, l kick stuff

If I'm orthodox then I train to close instantly rather than kick - so I do more l jab, r hook/elbow, l elbow

Once at grappling distance I train everything exactly the same as there's less room for choice and I find little difference in aptitude for techniques on each side.

It's important to clarify that I train my weak side as hard as my strong side - the difference comes when I put it together. If anything I train my weaker techniques much harder - I'm actually getting a respectable left jab and left lead hook now
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

No, because I sparr the majority of the time with a right lead Not to mention it is naturally my strong side.

I've never understood this. Why do people fight like this? JKD?
    I understand that if you have a weapon such as a knife, sword etc, then you want to fight "power" side. Comming from my persepctive where years of orthodox stance were pounded into me, I'm facinated by the fact that a right handed person would put his power hand forward and leave his speed behind.

What is your strategy in this? It probably gives you a crisp, powerful jab, but what follows?

I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious! to me, it makes no practical sense.

Not all JKD put strong side forward. My teacher doesnt. I fight strong side forward (during sparring where you square off at long distance........self defense etc aside..) because it works better for me. At longer range I like having my more powerful weapons closer to the opponent. Once the gap is bridged (after combat has started at all..) I have no side pref. Whatever works.

I'm facinated by the fact that a right handed person would put his power hand forward and leave his speed behind.

My 'left side' is not faster then my stronger 'right side.' Im faster in general then any of my regular training/sparring partners so speed has never hit me obside the head so-to-speak.

Are you saying putting the weaker side behind, that we are making it even weaker (slower?) Ive found its a good way to augment the weak sides power.

In the end its what feels better, and speed and power are more a function of timing and time in then how you stand when you are stationary.
    strike!

shaolintiger,

I've never understood this. Why do people fight like this? JKD? I understand that if you have a weapon such as a knife, sword etc, then you want to fight "power" side. Comming from my persepctive where years of orthodox stance were pounded into me, I'm facinated by the fact that a right handed person would put his power hand forward and leave his speed behind.

What is your strategy in this? It probably gives you a crisp, powerful jab, but what follows?

I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious! to me, it makes no practical sense.
    i'd nearly forgotten that. you brought it up when we got together recently. i think i mentioned the weapons thing. perhaps not.

in any event, it started for me as a result of my rabid JKD fandom. (it wore off.) but it was solidified by the eskrima training. we lead with the primary weapon and keep secondary weapons back, generally speaking. that doesn't mean the secondary weapon is inferior. far from it. in something like stick and dagger, the dagger may well be the 'big gun' in that combination. but it's often the stick that paves the way.

anyway, i wanted a consistent framework as i went from weapon to empty hand. and the lead was part of that. now, years later, i'm only really comfortable that way. but i still believe in the idea. i want my fast, strong hand up front where it can pave the way. the less adept hand is in the back, where (as yenhoi mentioned) the power differential can be made up for a bit by the extra hip rotation.

orthodox boxing reasoning makes sense to me too, mind you. it's just not how i ended up training myself.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

As far as striking, I train both arms equally. When it comes to blocking I do tend to keep my dominant side forward as my lead side kicks/foot hooks are killer. Plus I can hit pretty **** hard and fast with my lead hand. In my mind, its better to be a master of one side, than an expert at both. He who hits first usually wins... so I "put my best side forth."
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Well I certainly can't argue with either of your rationales for the reason. "because it feels right" is the deal-sealer.

"Well I certainly can't argue with..."

Should be in someones signature.

_Should_ the begginer drill both sides?

_Should_ the intermediate drill both sides?

_Should_ the so-called 'advanced' be able to switch leads with ease?

What are the benefits of a weak side lead?

Just curiosity for the thread...
    strike!

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    Well I certainly can't argue with either of your rationales for the reason. "because it feels right" is the deal-sealer.
    yeah. the only downside to that was when i was more of a kicker. (i used to be, essentially, just a kicker actually.) i was always more comfortable kicking with the left leg, so i usually kept it in front. so there was a long time there when you could tell what i was going to do based on which foot was forward. not so good, that.

so i ended up training my lead right kicks to match my hands a bit better. results to be determined at a later date.

When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Hey ST00 - I'm with you. I fight orthodox, because I want to be able to punish them if they come in on me. Plus if I fought the other way I wouldn't have a real knockout punch. I strive to develop both arms, of course - and I realize that the lead is probably more important overall than the rear hand, thus I train it more- but this is the combo that works best for me.

I was told that the disadvantage to the orthodox stance, is that the opponent can keep moving away from your power side. I try to use good footwork and turning to face to make up for that.

P.S. I noticed that a lot of western boxers move their feet to parallel stance (neither foward of the other, although the torso is still angled) when they have their opponent on the ropes. Just like good Southern KF.