Thread: "Good WC doesn't look like WC?"

"Good WC doesn't look like WC?"

I heard someone say that here. I forgot who, and I don't remember if they were a troll or not, but what do you think? It was in reference to using WC on the street or in NHB or something. They said if a skilled WC person fights with WC, it wouldn't look like WC. I'm confused.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I think I would be condfused too.

Perhaps he's alluding to the fact that WC should be direct and efficient, not flashy or flowery.

Or maybe he's paraphrasing the old MA maxim "performance overrides precision".

HTH a little bit
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Real fights are sloppy.

You dont use WC, you train it.

Regardless, if someone was a good martial artist and fighter, and they trained WCK, when they fought, you could probably tell what 'style' that person trained.
    strike!

Hi Ironfist,

I said that at some point, though I'm sure I wasn't the first to say it. I had mentioned it on a sparring thread, because the sparrers kept saying "try to close the gap with a tan sao in sparring, and you'll see it's NOT THAT EASY!" I feel that in any situation you should move naturally, and tan and bong are only natural after contact has already been made and you are being moved into that position.

Regrettably, I've seen people try to move like "good wing chun guys", and it gets them hurt. A TRUE good wing chun guy just moves naturally, and it will all work out. Sorry about the vagueness of my earlier statement.

Wing chun in application doesnt and shouldnt look like wing chun in practice...because you are "adjusting" to the motions that you face. It will involve the operational versions of tan, bong and fok.
    Very experienced persons will see the wing chun- others may miss
    the connections.

Same in some action sports--in boxing practice there is a difference between a true jab and a hook...but depending on the nature of the closing the difference may be blurred to the observer though the good boxer would know what he had thrown and the good coach would know.

Most people in a fight dont have a clue as to what they are watching... be it boxing, wrestling etc

Hi Yuanfen,

Originally posted by yuanfen
    Wing chun in application doesnt and shouldnt look like wing chun in practice...because you are "adjusting" to the motions that you face. It will involve the operational versions of tan, bong and fok.
    Very experienced persons will see the wing chun- others may miss
    the connections.
    Correct, again. However, if they train Wing Chun, they better at least try to use it. If you abandon what you train in a fight, including your structure, you are handing away a great advantage to your opponent. Wing Chun isn't fighting, but if I had to fight, I would use Wing Chun.
    Same in some action sports--in boxing practice there is a difference between a true jab and a hook...but depending on the nature of the closing the difference may be blurred to the observer though the good boxer would know what he had thrown and the good coach would know.
    Good example if they know boxing.
    Most people in a fight dont have a clue as to what they are watching... be it boxing, wrestling etc
    We see examples of that often in discussions of video clips.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

I would like to relay a story that was passed to me about someone in our kung fu family who was fortunate to have been around when Ip Man was still alive. He was going to have a gong sau match with and exponent from Bak Mei.They took him up to Ip Man who told him two things. The first was to make a very tight fist. The second was dont feel sorry for the guy your fighting with.No big mystery. No fancy explanations.

All I've got to say for now is this statement is VERY true.

When you're fighting, it will look like a "fight" no matter what "tools" you use.

Yep, I would definitely agree with this.

An outsider wont see any obvious formal guard on a skilled practitioner, will likely miss the countless small adjustments as each move flows and segues into something else as required. A half completed bong for example, may turn into something else before completion due to necessity, so the outsider never sees a formally completed bong/wu move that would "demonstrate" WC.

IMO In its high level incarnation, Wing Chun is just "intelligent punching", simple, direct and efficient. The fighter goes straight in, diverts as necessary, and badda-bing.

In an ideal world, of course.
    Last edited by Frank Exchange; 02-04-2003 at 08:31 AM.
    Your lineage may vary.

They said if a skilled WC person fights with WC, it wouldn't look like WC.

The better an opponent's bridge, the more WC you would be likely to see.

No bridge? You should only see the opponent drop, and maybe twitch a little.