Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sullivan boxing manuel/bare knuckle connection

Sullivan boxing manuel/bare knuckle connection

For those who enjoy such information and since I noticed that western boxing has been brought up a few times in some of the posts. Here is a manuel on the science of old school pugilism that you may enjoy.

This is from the "Boston Strong Boy" himself, John L. Sullivan, last of the bare knuckle champions, and the connection to that era of legendary fighters like Jem "The Gypsy" Mace and Tom Cribb. Back when boxing was a combination of catch wrestling and all in fighting. Kicking, throwing, grappling, butting, biting, gouging, choking, the whole game. Real NHB. 80+ rounds, much different in certain mechanics than the modern evolution we have today due to the start of those famous Queensbury rules.

This manuel of pugilism/self defense was written sometime in the early 20th century. A lot of great illustrations, towards the back you can see the grappling connection to those fighters/styles of the past.

http://keith.martialartsman.net/amer...vanManual.html
    Last edited by Black Jack; 02-03-2003 at 03:15 PM.
    Regards

great bj.

( )
    strike!

great stuff!

I've met boxers who knew this stuff - it never entirely went away.

That's a great find! I am reminded right away of karate and kung fu manuals of the same time period. The introduction page, the overview of boxing (it's kind of hard to read, I know), sounds the same as something you'd hear from karate or kung fu manuals...esp. regarding the mentality a proficient boxer should have, outside the ring, and the benefits of practicing.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

There are numerous, individuals, groups of players or scattered parties who still practice old world pugilism, not as numerous as catch, but can still be found if you try hard enough.

I am a big fan of WM's, so to me all of this is interesting, hope you enjoy.
    Regards

Smile

VERY interesting, Black Jack. Thanks for the great info.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

sweet
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    this site is so tits
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Its always great to find a time capsule. Some things look timeless and look the same as they are practised today and others wil get you FUBAR.

thanks BlackJack.

Cool stuff.

Did Manuel win?

This is one nice find...kind of reminds me of a small book of Mestre Bimbas old Capoeira Regional Course that went with his LP...this kind of old stuff is great.

Good!

Smile

That's great! Thanks. "Exellant for nerves and temper"
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Excellent! I love those books. Thanks for sharing that URL, Black Jack.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

they have the b00k at the Boston Public Library. It's been reprinted recently.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu