View Poll Results: Are MA only for fighting?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 100% pure fighting nothing else.

2 11.76%
  • No, they need to contain more.

15 88.24%
  • Not sure. I am confused.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MA only for fighting?

Question MA only for fighting?

Hi All.

Discovery Channel is currently running a lot of programs about China and the culture there.

From what it seems like that in Chinese Culture there is NEVER only one side to anything. The same is true for many other Asian countries too.

Example:
    The Mandarin were basscially Chan Buddhist, but also followed Taoist philosophies. These are normally represented in their private works and paintings.
    Their daily work was very controlled and rigit, but in their private lifes they developed a lot of new concepts and methods.

I have often found this type of opposing influences/requirements in many asian Arts and in their culture.

This leads me to think that MA should contain and be more than just about fighting from their point of view.
    And thus any complete system needs to train and develop all aspects.

Any opinions??
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 02-03-2003 at 05:12 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

I think it's pretty obvious that there's more to MA that fighting. Otherwise, we'd all just do boxing.

Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Originally posted by TaoBoy
    I think it's pretty obvious that there's more to MA that fighting. Otherwise, we'd all just do boxing.

I agree with you.

But many people kinda shy away from the philosophical side and call it new-age addition, added rubbish, etc.

Many people are of the Opinion that "martial" is more important than "arts" and are only interested in the fighting aspect of the arts.

Seen many comments on KFO and other Boards that the arts were solely designed for fighting, that the founders and masters of old were the toughest bad-asses out there, killed people and fought at the drop of a head, trained full-time, etc.

Overlooking naturally many things like laws, police, daily jobs and other aspects of daily life now and than.

Just my Opinion naturally.

i think that most diciplines are more than their initial purpose.

its all up to you...

Practicing martial arts can be about whatever you want it to be about, IMO. You can do it as a way to keep in touch with your culture, you can do it to stay healthy, you can do it cuz you want to be a proficient fighter, you can do it because you want to compete (whether it be in fighting or demonstration), etc. What is important is that you keep your true goals clear, and that you tailor your practice and training towards those goals.

In other words, just keep it real! Like if you do karate because your dojo is a good social atmosphere and its a good workout and you like doing the forms, that's fine. But then don't try to tell yourself that you're a fighter when you're not. Do what you have to do to meet your goals.

i think its very diverse, and again depends on the practitioners perspective.

for me, the more i train, the reasons i am still training keep on changing... first was to fight and prove myself (as i was bullied)... then the more i got in to it, its to understand how my body can move and work, as well as develop myself. Now i basically train for enjoyment and health. Of course i am trying to learn and understand my systems principles and skills... already i can see its like an onion and there are many different layers.

does that take away from the fighting side? i dont think so. i think that if you trian hard in your chosen skill, no matter the reason you will develop fighting skill. Maybe not like someone who competes regularly or whatever, but skill is skill.

Also theres nothing more enlightening than getting smacked upside the head repeatedly

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

How can "Martial Arts" be about anything else but fighting?

Art doesnt mean philosophy or spirituality, it means individual skill.

Are CMA just about fighting?

Obviously not for everyone.

Great thread about this on the Southern Forum, called 'The origins of the shaolin temple..." something or other.

Its just plain silly to automatically link Martial Arts with anything else then skill vs other people, when fighting.

strike!

Hence, Yin and Yang my friend.
    Arhat of Fury

How about this:

Martial arts are for developing the attributes needed for fighting, but those attributes are often useful for other areas in life.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by joedoe
    How about this:

Martial arts are for developing the attributes needed for fighting, but those attributes are often useful for other areas in life.
    I agree with this more than to say that KF/MA teaches you how to fight.

Fighting is the only thing that will teach you how to fight. Training MAs is supposed to teach you some skills that may help you to fight better. The ability to fight is still up to the person.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by joedoe
    Fighting is the only thing that will teach you how to fight. Training MAs is supposed to teach you some skills that may help you to fight better. The ability to fight is still up to the person.
    100% in agreement.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    It's all about the fighting.

It's what you do with that knowledge that makes the difference.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up

Joedoe: Two great posts. YOU ROCK!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Cheese Dog
    Joedoe: Two great posts. YOU ROCK!
    Awww Geee. Thanks man

Don't say that too often otherwise I will get a big head