Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 52/Jail House Rock..Does it exist?

52/Jail House Rock..Does it exist?

52/Jail House Rock..Does it exist?

I think I may never find a definitive answer to this question, but regardless its a cool idea. Anyone familiar with it, and if so, please post replies!
    -Golden Arms-

Is this an Elvis Presley question or am I totally missing the point?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

LOL..Jail House Rock is supposed to be a fighting system passed around in prisons, and never talked about. Mike Tyson is alleged to know some....Its also talked about in some wu tang songs..as "52 hand blocks' or the 52.
    -Golden Arms-

Interesting.

Anyone?

Bueller?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Only real link I could find to anything on it..the techiques look legit enough..check it out.

http://www.geocities.com/delasalas2000/combatives.html
    -Golden Arms-

http://go.to/stickgrappler

This website has more info on the topic than any other I know of.
    Last edited by Stranger; 02-03-2003 at 05:58 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

From what i've heard, there are quite a few good reasons why there is no such thing. Prisons aren't a bad VanDamme movie; fighting just gets you killed. The defense is being respectful and not making enemies. Most of what you hear about the 'art' is a bit kooky and the techniqies look ill suited for the threats that it is supposedly designed to face.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

not at all. The techs of jailhouse rock - from a southern standpoint anyway (there are various styles, from region to region - jailhouse, 52, knockin and kickin, etc) are not too different from capoeira infighting - elbows, heabdbutts, etc. And yes, fighting gets you killed but happens regardless. I know several jailers who will attest to that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

myth.

52 hand blocks… IMO… is a generic term for ' some sh!t my cousin taught me in the living room'… all this 'you can only learn it in jail'… or… 'you can only be black to have it passed down to you'… is some bull… but it is Black History Month…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I think that people would very much like to belive in the existence of a superiour black power system kept hidden...i dont think it exist in that form...some idiot would have learned it and made a MCJailhousrock school by now...
    however i do not doubt that there has been developed many different more or less effective arts in prison...i have a friend who was in an american prison and he learned som simple but very reliable things in there.
    Also i cant help to draw a comparision to my fathers older brother (who saddly is dead) who came home after a few years at sea and suddently was a hell of a fighter, my father has learned one very nice armlock from him...so in all sorts of places there is MA...not big and famous styles but people who hang out and share knowedge.
    I wish i had been a bit older when my uncle was alive so i could have asked him about the things he learned.
    Last edited by Tvebak; 02-04-2003 at 11:06 AM.

Rorion Gracie and some dude who did Jailhouse Rock were the figthing consultants on the first Lethal Weapon movie.
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Dennis Newsome was a fight choreographer for Lethal Weapon.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Cool, thx for the input so far. I figured it at least possible that someone in there would have some good close quarters fighting tricks up their sleeves. It may not be the end all of martial arts, or even a system so to speak, but I am always curious about different forms of fighting movement. Also, I have heard 2 different older school guys refer to BJJ as a system that is based off of similar concepts to the python. Opinions?
    -Golden Arms-

Dennis Newsome is.... uhm.... well... He does seem to be able to kick !!! pretty effectively, but he's more than a bit INfamous in the Capoeira world. Lots of allegations of excessive violence combined with allegations of intense Afrocentrism and a few other odd bits. I really couldn't say anything to most of it - I don't pretend to know more than what I got in conversations with one of his students once - but nonetheless, the guy has a rep.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No