Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground Fighting -- Assaults On Police Officers

good point rouge.

why an independant source? I don't believe that these statistics were taking with the purpose of proving that "grappling" is superior", I believe it was more as you mentioned, of "what the hell are you guys doing wrong?" category. and that the statistics are probably an accurate depiction.

btw: I was once arrested for A&B (got in fight and grabbed his beer bottle and proceeded to beat him with it). You cannot imagine the feel of a gang of cops tackling you (the polyester pileup) until you've experienced it firsthand. good times..

"(the polyester pileup)"

ROFL!!!

oh yeah. Everytime I see "cops" I think of how 4guys with their knees on my neck & back kept screaming at me to put my hands behind my back. *******s you're sitting on my back!

I like cops. its a crappy job and to be a fair enforcer and remain above the mentality of the street is a hard thing to do.

lol.

I got arrested once, they seemed very gentle.

strike!

Have any of you guys seen that clip of those two idiots in a car. One has a video camera and he's telling his mate how, if his mate doesn't actually touch a cop, the cop can't do anything to him. So when a cop comes along, the dude jumps out of the car and starts leaping around in front of the cop, waving his arms and acting like a complete psycho, thinking the cop will just have to endure it.

Then the cop pulls out his baton and beats the dumb kid all over the body with it.

Bloody funny.

Not sure how relevant it is to the topic, but reading the thread made me think of it.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Were you bouncing a 40oz half full bottle of St. Ides off someone's bleeding head?

I should explain, lest I b thought of as a short tempered *******

My friend and I were walking in Georgetown and returning to our car parked a few blocks north of the main avenue. My friend's girlfriend was Indian and he and myself are both caucasian. Two skinheads walked past us and then after passing us said aloud "could you imagine sticking your **** into that? It would smell like curry!" As soon as my brain was able to make a reaction, I ran after them (they didn't expect me.) I pushed one down to the ground and tackled the other. My buddy Bob immediately started to beat on guy on the ground.

So I'm sitting pretty on top of skinhead#2 and proceed to smash him a few times until my hand started hurting! OUCH! jerk was holding a 40oz bottle wrapped in brown paper bag, and i just picked it up and started smashing into him!

Girlfriend had ran back south and there was a cop across the street (georgetown, Sat night. lots of cops) Well cop#1 radioes cops #2-10 and they come hauling ass. Me oblivious to this didn't hear cop#1 tell me to ge off the punk, and thus i didn not expect the tackle I then recieved. I'm screaming "Its not me! its that *******!" and meanwhile he's laying on his back groaning. (I can still see him amid the legs and arms of the restraining officers.

so we all go around the corner of the station. At first skinhead wants to press charges against me, but when we tell our side, he took a bandage and ran for it. I got a ticket for disorderly conduct and spent the next sat washing cop cars instead of paying for it.

Good for you. Rascist arseholes.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

My old boss, who was also a retired cop, chicken choked a guy (this is now illegal). The fight started with drawn weapons, and ended in a "ground fight". He learned this move from a karate instructor that was brought in by his department. The criminal subsequently died, and my boss was *kindly* asked to retire from the force. I know similar moves from kung fu that don't take a lot of set up. BTW, a chicken choke for those who don't know, is when you dig your knuckles in someone's carotid/trachea.

why an independant source?
    Just was wondering ST00. After all 90% of all statistics are made up.

Well cop#1 radioes cops #2-10 and they come hauling ass. Me oblivious to this didn't hear cop#1 tell me to ge off the punk, and thus i didn not expect the tackle I then recieved. I'm screaming "Its not me! its that *******!" and meanwhile he's laying on his back groaning. (I can still see him amid the legs and arms of the restraining officers.
    See, if you had only practiced your forms instead of that silly contact stuff you would be the one groaning and the other guy would be getting creamed by the cops and washing their cars. C'mon ST00 admit it, those old Asians knew what they were doing when they invented forms.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Diego,

BJJ is highly applicable in old age. Grappling is a bit easier on the brain case and body than, say, kickboxing, although I have to say I've had more joint injuries (grumble)... Could Helio compete with the young bucks at the highest levels? I doubt it. He's 91, after all, and competition is a far different creature. He is well known to be able to roll with his students and sons, however.

I mean, when I went to Brazil, I saw a 50 year old Black belt compete in the adult division at the worlds, and he made a **** good showing. Beat a couple of opponents before losing. Nice work! One of my previous training partners was nearly twice my age and was one of the toughest SOB's around--and you wouldn't think it a bit to look at him!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Heck, the officers here don't even receive any regular firearm training, much less any form of martial art training. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

But I think I'd like some ethics classes for them before I'd vote on grappling though, taking into account some of the podunks running around here with a badge.

Sounds like the more veteran cops know enough not to let a perp get too close or at least make sure he has backup, where a rookie may go after someone solo. I think some training in BJJ would be good but could lead the rookie cops into more close quarter altercations.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

There is usually a cop or two in any martial arts class i go to, means i can claim to spend my tuesdays atacking police officers They do a great job though.

On the old age jjj practitioners Its always impressive to meet one of therse experts, they all seem capable of springing a few surprises.

ttt

Rouge, about >5yr. exp cops. - LEO's that read this post on other board said that older cops are lazier, smarter, and generally much less aggressive where a young guy will chase, and run and fight a criminal.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 02-19-2003 at 01:29 PM.

sobering statistics

I am probably going into law enforcement after I graduate from college (next semester). I am in the selection process for the LAPD. Reading stuff like this really makes me glad that I am trained and that I have grappling experience. I spoke to my recruiter regarding martial arts training. She's been on the streets for almost 20 yrs and in her opinion, having kickboxing and grappling skills is a very strong asset to have as an officer. And sadly she also recognizes that the police academy does not emphasize these things enough.

I hope I make it through selection