Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ground Fighting -- Assaults On Police Officers

To be fair, I think those instructors pushing for better or some grappling training for police should try some of the techniques wearing a level III+ vest.

your range of motion is very different, and it is harder to do many things they we take for granted when not wearing a vest.

This is not a flame or a troll, just a suggestion to put a slightly different perspective on what's involved.
    Fighting is not about who is right, it is about who is left.

A year from now, no one will remember who used what style, or what technique, only who prevailed.

Aslan - great point. the military must also address similar issues when training groundfighting.

And I think most importantly how to negate the "push/tackle" attacks that get them inot this situation.

D - Good Luck. Being a LEO is a tough job and requires a level head and more patience than I'll ever posess.

Too little too late and very stupid quickly...

I sponsored a BJJ seminar with my friend Caique (so actually it was a CJJ seminar) last year. I hit up our county hospital po-lice since they deal with a lot of inmates, as well as the campus 5-0 at UT-San Antonio. They all laughed at me and said basically "that's what these are for" pointing to their guns and improvised tonfa (night sticks). Typically the same sociopathic, I know-it-all types become cops and criminals, I guess. It's the same isht some broke gang-banger would say. They were fat arses and wimp-types.

If they ever fought for real in their life it was probably as a result of being squares and irritating cool types, or bullying weaker people. I tried to emphasize the importance of being able to handle yourself without a "crutch" or security blanket. I got fed up when they just stared at me like I was speaking Mandarin. I laughed, said it's your health, preparedness is the best insurance, just ask military cats. They laughed again and said "goodbye".

Anyway, fairly recently there has been a couple of local cases of cops getting took out with their own weapons. This was after they grappled with the suspect. Uh-huh... There's no need for plain clothes cops unless some severe civil disturbance ensues anyway. Go buy a gun and protect yourself. F'em! Hope they laugh their controllling arses to hell, hahahaha!!!!

Only 15 or so folks showed up to the seminar. I posted here and around town, as well as ebudo,the UG and other MMA and grappling sites. With South Texas having absolutely no legit brown belts or higher it was a chance for San Antonians, Austinites and other nonDallas or Houston types to train with the highest ranking GJJ guy outside of the Gracie family. Oh well you snooze you lose. That's why I'm moving to LA.

People if you can't "wrassle" please learn a little. Don't believe the "I'll never grapple" BS. If a big, strong or experienced grappler wants to get you, prepare to hit the ground.
    Last edited by 'MegaPoint; 02-20-2003 at 04:27 PM.
    The morrow beckons...

Rogue, I kinda find your argument about the cops learning a little grappling to be sort of like "If we teach kids about safe sex, they'll just have sex more."
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

ttt.

Experience from men and women out on the streets ever single day facing criminals and apprehending them.

Groundfighting, not the ideal situation but the reality, so be prepared.