Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: " Why Kung Fu Won't Work In Combat!! "

I don't see why everyone has to argue about one style not working well. Anyone can make their style work if they know the secret to the martial arts.

The ancient and mysterious secret that has never before been released to the public and is kept in holy regard by the Shaolin Monks is as follows(get ready for this one, it's a toughy):Practice.

If anyone from any art does this and practices like they SHOULD then they WILL be able to defend themselves. It's as simple as that.

It's all in the basics!!!!!

My Southern tai tzu was taught to the military during the Southen Sung dynasty. The current theory is it was the prerequisite to the Imperial Guard branch you guys do. The first 3 forms are even shorter than Jap Siao Ma Kune.

If the day ever comes that I get permission to teach it, I will be doing so between the Southern originally taught to the military, and the Northern practiced by the Royal family itself.

It would make a nice smooth transition from pure Southern, to pure Northern, as the system you're calling Cheung Kune Pai is more of a mix than one or the other.

Now that my back is healling up for the most part, I will be doing alot more work on it.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by taijiquan_student
    When someone says something like "Most people, when they try to fight with their kungfu, just end up kickboxing" I don't think they're calling kickboxing an inferior art. While statements like this may display an ignorance of the art, seeing as how they liken kickboxing to the wild, untrained, swinging of arms and legs, they don't mean that kickboxing is an inferior art, nor are they saying anything about the method in which actual kickboxers train. Am I wrong here?

Oh yeah...forms suck......wait a minute, I practice forms...doh! Sorry, I just got caught up in the whole spirit of the thing!
    Yeah, what they're saying is that they're not fighting with the principles of their style "Reverting to kickboxing" is a poor way of saying it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Jeff,

I was a brash young man at the time. Its almost embarrassing now. I almost forgot about that incident. He wasn't what he said he was, though. I man handled him too easily.

Oh well.

Originally posted by Viper555
    I don't see why everyone has to argue about one style not working well. Anyone can make their style work if they know the secret to the martial arts.

The ancient and mysterious secret that has never before been released to the public and is kept in holy regard by the Shaolin Monks is as follows(get ready for this one, it's a toughy):Practice.

If anyone from any art does this and practices like they SHOULD then they WILL be able to defend themselves. It's as simple as that.
    kinda...it's all in HOW you practice. That's the secret.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: Shaolin Tiger00

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    I personally don't want to learn a movement by flailing and refining when someone is throwing punches at me.
    Whatever man, some people like their kung fu in pjs, some like it buck naked, we get your point (or at least I do). I do see too many people trying to defend themselves when all that is going on is a difference in opinion. Some of us need to get past this and agree to disagree (its ok you do it all the time).
    As far as seeing people just swinging, I know way too many cma people who don't fight like this, yeah it happens to the best of us, but come on, take it for what it is. This doesn't happen because they do forms too much.
    That was a good post up until that part...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

For those of you who spar full contact using things like eye jabs, throat strikes, tiger claws, etc, I am curious about something. How do you spar full contact using these things? In Muay Thai and boxing, you have gloves and headgear which let you hit with full power without killing each other. In grappling based arts, you can work submissions at 100% as long as your opponent knows how to tap out in time.

With the more dangerous things, like those listed above, how do you spar full-on without killing each other.

I'm quite sure that no one uses eye and throat strikes full contact in sparring. Often dummies are used to practice these techniques at full power. As for actually using them on a person, it would be a case of taking the opportuniy if it arose and you really had it in for the person.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Braden Guest
    I'm too lazy to read the thread.

Are people saying kungfu is all about eye jabbing and testicle biting again?

KF.

There are training methods to train those, but you would never apply them full-power in sparring.

Similar to the way I can either lock an joint or damage it.

And I have seen CMA also tap during sparring,
    Witty signature under construction.

Talking That's true ,but it was still fun

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Jeff,

I was a brash young man at the time. Its almost embarrassing now. I almost forgot about that incident. He wasn't what he said he was, though. I man handled him too easily.

Oh well.

Sifu,

Alot of people are not what they say they are.That's what's so sadd about the state of kung fu today.Many fly by night schools and Sifu.I don't know if you remember that guy at the Lee Koon Hung Tournament who claimed to be a Monkey Style Master?It was the big one before Lee Koon Hung passed away where all the Grandmasters did the demos Lilly Lau, Chan Poi,Lee Koon Hung,SifuGus,etc.....

I remember this guy having students there and they were paying him $150.00 an hour to train.This guy was a complete fake you have to remember because everyone was laughing at him.Not the one that competed against you in the sifu's class though.He was funny also

This guy competed against me where i took first place with Lau Gar Kune of all things.Yet his students still thought he was the real deal.I guess something like pauls students do Huh?

Doh!!

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Braden Guest
    Wait... no one's saying that.

KF needs to get to the gym and work on his green circle instead of trolling poor, defenseless kungfu-folk!

"Even Tai Chi can be used in combat if you're trained how to from the start."

Even Tai Chi!?

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    KF.

There are training methods to train those, but you would never apply them full-power in sparring.

Similar to the way I can either lock an joint or damage it.

And I have seen CMA also tap during sparring,
    LC hasa good point. Joint manipulations. Are you confident that you can use them even though you don't repeated break and dislocate bones in practice?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

actually, yes. the reason it's "only a lock" isn't so much me half doing it as it is you tapping. when you tap, I stop. You don't tap, I don't stop. Now, If I realize the guy is in pain and something will happen, I stop before I snap his joint. BUT, there have been several people who have sustained injuries because they were too macho/ignorant to tap.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

That was not a troll question. It's something I am genuinely curious about.

OK, let's say you take away the "deadly" stuff. How do you spar full contact against resisting opponents even using the "non-deadly" strikes unless you use gloves or other kinds of protective equipment?

As far as the joint breaking question, that is true to a degree. You don't always know whether it will work or not because you are not actually breaking or hyperextending the joint each time. I have seen guys in competitions not tap and end up escaping even when the other person is trying to actaully break the joint. On the other hand, I've accidentally taken joint locks and chokes too far against opponents and have had the same done to me, so I have a pretty good feel for what it takes to snap the joint or choke someone out.