Thread: Stretching unique to your art/style

Stretching unique to your art/style

Hi all,

Put this on the main forum but got no bites so thought I would try you guys....

Just wanted to ask the question if people studying different arts have special stretches in their curriclum that are only found in that chosen style.

Stretches used to open up different parts of the body or to strenghten etc

I think the main reason for the lack of a response might be because it's hard to be sure that ones' style of stretching is totally unique

For example, In MyJhong LawHorn, though, we do have a stretch that I've never seen before. Doesn't mean it's NOT done by any other style, just that I've never seen it before. It's called "Horse Stance Split." What you do is get into a nice, deep horse stance. Settle in for a few seconds, then lean over, without chaning the position of your legs and lower yourself onto the ground, keeping your hips back. Your feet, of course, would be turned out. Go down so that you're not quite on your stomach, but holding your body off the ground by your forearms. Then gradually straighten up and push back. Each day try to get your hips lower and lower the ground, until they touch. Then work on keeping them down, and pushing your torso back and up. If you do it perfectly, you'll end up in what looks like a straddle split on your knees, with your feet pointing back, about as wide as they would be in a horse stance. It's rather hard to explain, and it hurts like the d!ckens, but it helps to open the hips, which is good for MyJhong (or any MA style for that matter.)
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

That stretch you are talking about is similar to a stretch that i have been doing in Yoga class. Which brings me to the point that it would seem that most TCMA schools have stretching that is very similar to yoga type postures. if we go on the history of Ta Mo teaching the muscle tendon changing classics to the shaolin monks and those postures and stretches are yogic in nature( since ta mo was form india) then it would be safe to assume correctly that the stretching done in TCMA school IS yogic in nature, but not strictly yoga.

that is why i reccomend taking some sort of yoga class to supplement the stretching that you are ot doing in class to better your stance and overal abilities. seems like the main stretching that is done in most Martial art schools are the splits and the seated 90 degree leg stretching( i say that for most schools that i have been to and seen)
    the school i used to go to never had any unique stretching techniques when i was there. it was all pretty standard.
    TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Shaolin Tong Zi Gong is an exercise for stretching and yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post
    Shaolin Tong Zi Gong is an exercise for stretching and yoga!
    hahaha shaolin tong zi gong has some stretches/stretching i never seen before when i first saw. omg so crazy and ugly and nasty looking.
    Teo Chew Association: Unicorn Dragon and Lion Dance Team
    潮州會館 麒麟龍獅團
    http://www.facebook.com/TctLionDance

United States Dragon & Lion Dance Federation
    usdldf.org

No Limit Arts & Gifts
    http://www.facebook.com/NoLagX

The reason I asked is because in the Zi Ran Men that I study we have a set of yoga like stretches that are only found in this style.

I would have to say also that the term "yoga" is to kind to desribe these stretches.

They are designed to open up the legs and build strength in the ankles.

When you are in the stretch it feels like your ankles are being ripped open.

Its funny though the first few times you do the set its like "man I cant feel anything" then the next day its like "oh I am so sore."....But very cool stretches and great for foot work and mobilty.

Zi Ran Men is known for its stepping and foot work and these stretches we do fit in with all the stepping and circle walking etc.

As others have said its hard to explain some of the stretches but I just wanted to find out what other people have encountered in relation to this

I guess maybe I should have been more specific in my question. As the stretches we do have a main goal or outcome which relates to footwork. So I was after info on weather other practitioners had special stretches for diferent skills along this line.
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 10-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Greetings,

Blacktiger: are any of the stretches you describe shown in the vcds that are available on your style?

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Blacktiger: are any of the stretches you describe shown in the vcds that are available on your style?

mickey

Hi Mickey

No you wont find any of this stuff on the VCD's.

The level of Zi Ran Men knowledge seems to differ alot depending on who you are learning or sourcing from.

Latley alot of people claim to have it but really its bits and pieces. This stems from Grandmaster Wan's later years when he was very poor - he had alot of people coming to him to learn and he was just saying ok then, it will be this much $$$$...then people would leave and say yes I have Zi Ran Men...Master Hong would get quite upset with him.

So you will always find forms and so forth on the Liu He but when it comes to the Zi Ran Men it all suddenly gets a bit vague.

Only a while ago I found out that those VCD's put out by Du Xin Wu's so called grandson or nephew were a sham so you have to be careful.
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 10-01-2006 at 09:57 PM.

examples?

even Iyengar uses pictures.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hahahah you are lucky..... I found a pic on our school site of one of the stretches being performed by Wan Lai Shen in his younger days.

There is a difference however - you will see that he is up on his toes - this is the advanced version.

In the beginning you start with your feet on the same line - shoulder width apart with feet pointing opposite directions.

Then you sink down tucking the tail bone in and focusing on pushing the knees out and hands out front as can been seen in the shot...Hold this for as long as you can then come up for air.

You must make sure you keep the tailbone tucked right in to so as you get full benefit of the stretch.

Also turn your feet inward after coming back up as they will feel like they have been on a medieval torture device

Once you have got a grasp on this you then move up onto the toes.

This is great for the ankes and groin area - it opens it all right up.

http://www.ziranmen.com/artsframe.htm

Click on the arts section, then select Zi Ran Men then go to page 5