Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So does anyone practice Shaolin Kung Fu

Shaolin Temple Guest

No insults but pak Mei (white eyebrows) is not Shaolin.

I hope I did not offend anyone but bak mei is a sister martial arts technique to Shaolin. All martial arts introduced to Shaolin was done so via Boddhidarma who originated from India. The style that was practiced at that time and even to now is called wu ji or mo kik. This is a more superior form than tai chi (once again, no offence). In the olden days, all martial arts were classified according to class and hierachy. The upper class were to learn upper class styles and peasants...the common forms. Wu ji is the mother technique of tai chi.
    Shaolin and bak mei were developed from this derivative but during the Ching dynasty, the taoist bak mei priest was a henchmen of the government and due to the centuries of rivalry between Buddhism and Taoism, he took it upon his right to try and wipe out the Shaolin cult (as he called it).
    bak mei is not a bad style. It has a good system but like all styles, you may get a black sheep in the family.
    Otherwise, who cares if it is Shaolin or not...kung fu is about hard work and perseverence, tolerance, chivalry, justice. No matter what style you practice, do it well with good intention and you will improve. Spread the art outwards and you will be rewarded from the learning and teaching experience.

Amitabha

Shaolin Master Guest

Wu Ji ? I don't think so.

Shaolin Temple,

Unfortunately Wujiquan does not as a martial art/exercise pre-date Taijiquan. In fact it is quite a recent creation.
    It is an excellent system of Qigong and of martial skill training many forms of internal jing.

Wuji does as a concept in TCM and Chinese Philosophy represent the state of nothingness before taiji and this concept was introduced as that of the art of wujiquan but that is its only reperesentative concept of being the mother of all styles.

Bodhidharma,
    Only taught YiJinChing and Xi Sui Ching. Lohan Shi Ba Shou was created by followers based on those to exercices. Shaolin martial arts were influenced by a tremendous number of individuals thought time not just Da Mo.

Bai Mei,

Your stories are more fiction than fact. There are no records of the events that you have prementioned elsewhere other than in films or novels upon which the films were based. In the Fujian Shaolin Historical records the accounts of traitorship were attributed to another monk not Bai Mei. The rivalry between Zhi San and Bai Mei was purely Buddhist-politics not physical.

Lastly, being in so-called the rebuilt Fujian shaolin as there is no other remaining you should be more aware of such matters. The research and archeaological institute in Fujian would have many records that coincide with that of my Singapore lineage as a whole team of Singapore masters were invited to conduct research and actually form part of the research group.

Oh, by the way you don't have to repeat the same auspicous lines defining words or the shaolin faith ....

Regards

Shi Chan Long

Sun_Tzu Guest

Actually it is common knowledge

The shaolin did not keep written record of their martial practices until late in its developement.
    One of the reason there are so many schools that are not legit. I subscribe to the too good to be true methond of detection. If you fight someone claiming to be Shaolin and it is an easy victory, then it is to good to be true and they are most likely BS. Shaolin practioners are hard to comeby.

....The skilled commander