Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training Links

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f14/ne...ng-mma-799523/ here is a great program for those looking to increase explosive power

I have never been a huge fan of TUL ( Time under load) training to be honest.
    A little too much "gray" area for my taste.
    But the routine looks like a very good and well though our periodization program.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have never paid much attention to TUT or TUL training, but increasing alactic power is something I have always been interested in and the science behind this makes sense, if the alactic system can only produce power for 10-12 seconds it makes sense to limit your sets accordingly, and the periodization of the programming, max strength to explosive power to explosive capacity is very clear. I followed this program a few months ago and was impressed with the results so thought I’d share, if nothing else its refreshing to see a program from someone who actually trains fighters for a living, too many of the programs on the net are from people with no back ground in training fighter or training anyone.

Rooney's stuff is also pretty good, but I think most of this stuff works not only because, well it works, but because it "jolts" people out of a stagnant workout.
    Now, there is nothing wrong with consistent training, especialy when you are building a foundation, but that well runs dry real quick at times and in the ST game, periodization is very important, whatever form of it you choose.

I like Rooney’s stuff, the problem with it I had was that he gets you to get a HR monitor but other than telling you to look at it during training etc to see how you adapt and recovery quicker he doesn’t really tell you how to use it efficiently. One of the reasons I like Jamison’s stuff is that he gives you the science behind his methods, and the data from the guys he has worked with to back up his claims and then tells you how best to use the methods depending on your strengths and weaknesses. He tells you why a HR monitor is useful and tells you how to use it for different goals, (nothing new endurance athletes have been using HR zones for training for years but combat sports are way behind other sports when it comes to S and C) he tells you the methods he uses to test his fighters and then how he builds their strength and endurance according to those tests.

Your point on periodization is spot on, I love the block periodisation methods the soviets came up with but hell even linear periodisation is better than Westside full on max effort work all the time

Anyone ever use Robert dos Remedios' stuff? It's been the best when coming from a strength training perspective. I don't have much time to talk about it more right now, but will later. It's nice to see these discussions here on this forum; I wasn't expecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    Anyone ever use Robert dos Remedios' stuff? It's been the best when coming from a strength training perspective. I don't have much time to talk about it more right now, but will later. It's nice to see these discussions here on this forum; I wasn't expecting that.
    Looks a good site.. Like how he stresses heavy lifting and the Olympic lifts.

But I am always weary of coaches that bash steady stat cardio for fitness and fat loss, also his article on football (sorry soccer) not being an aerobic sport is for me wrong but I like a lot of the stuff I saw

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Looks a good site.. Like how he stresses heavy lifting and the Olympic lifts.

But I am always weary of coaches that bash steady stat cardio for fitness and fat loss, also his article on football (sorry soccer) not being an aerobic sport is for me wrong but I like a lot of the stuff I saw
    I think that sometimes coaches tend to either over simplify or over complicate.
    Steady cardio IS a good way to burn fat, it is NOt the best way, but for most it is the ideal way.
    Very few people can do HIIT to the point where they can get decent fat loss.
    At least from what I have seen.
    As for football, how aerobic it is depends on the position you play, anyone that has played the game knows that.

The biggest issue I have with most coaches is they tend to be of the either/or position and that is not really needed.

Coaches who are trying to sell a product always have to stand out, look at mike Boyle’s no need to back squat articles for a classic example of this.

I always look at the real world when in doubt, how does virtually every body builder cut weight, get on the bike for 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. What does A boxer or wrestler do when looking to make weight? Hit the road for a long run every morning, there is a reason these things have always been done and it’s not because they wee too dumb to know any better (regardless of what siome coaches say)

As for soccer I take your point about it being position specific, but apart from the goalie I think the demands are roughly the same. A huge study was done at one of the UEFA cups a few years ago 68 matches where studied, that included 58 different teams, and 719 players from 20 different nations. Actual playing time was found to be 54-65 minutes and players average heart rate was between 160-175 bpm

. The longest sprint the players ran was 20-30m and the total volume per match was about 160m at speeds of >25.3Km/h, for high speed runs the total was 680m 19.9-25.2km/h, jogging was 4.97km speed=7.3-14.4km/h and finally walking of 3.67km speed=.02-7.2km/h.. so most of the time the players were jogging, walking and sprinting short distances, sounds aerobic alactic sport to me.

For lifting and diet information geared towards powerlifting type training.

www.70sbig.com

and

www.criticalbench.com

are very good sources.

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Internal Martial Energy Training

The book Axe Hand; Hsing-i & Internal Strength Workout, contains everyday methods for internals, meditations, rooting, exercises, tests and self adjustments. Instruction goes from the individual’s known, to his related unknown. Taught with the common ground of the 'shared lived experience' .

Wrist and fore-arm stretches for energy flow: these can help with tendonitis, typing hands, carp-tunnel, and muscle knots; preventing injury and learning wrist locks as well as teaching grappling seizures and locks, and will help you transfer it more effectively.

Five move Tai Chi form, Hsing I Five Elements detailed with step by step photos, Twelve Animals steps written descriptions.
    Standing Pole (Embrace the Moon) moving Qigong: 'shifting the water' and 'rising-expanding/sinking-contracting'.
    Hsing-i San Ti: standing and moving for Qi and Fa Jing.

Fore-arm Throw double set, dynamic drill, adjusting moving root, responsive blocking enabling the same move for offense and defense, center of Qi as it moves through oneself and the center between two people.

http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/book-intro.php

will it make my penus bigger

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    will it make my penus bigger
    yes

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/
    will it make my penus bigger ?

Just fuller, maybe wider.