Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training Links

Ford Prefect Guest
    I'd have to agree that the deadlift is an essential lift, especially for beginners. It builds good all-around strength and forces the body to act as a unit rather than isolating body parts. I actually do clean pulls instead of dl's, but to each their own.

Destrous and Ironfist,

I just found out that T-Mag did a two part interview with Pavel about his concepts. I only scimmed through it, but you can get a good idea about the concepts he employs.

Part 1:

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/151russ.html

Part 2:

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/152russ.html

"Who's house?"
    "I said RUN's house."

IronFist Guest

T-mag...

Oh boy...

When I first saw the words "T-mag" I worried, but you happened to find the one of like maybe 2 or 3 articles at T-mag that aren't complete tripe.

I have a huge dislike for the whole T-mag crew, and especially their product line, Biotest.

Let me keep this simple so it doesn't start a flame war (too late).

A) The T-mag crew claims to be huge freaky BB'ers. Along the lines of 240lb 5% bf kind of people. Strange how NONE of them will post a picture, and when meets come up, like Bodybuilding shows, for some reason their rep is always "sick" and can't make it.

B) Their supplements suck. Can I say "suck" here? They market all their stuff as "feels just like deca (a steroid)!" Or "my dog was afraid of me while I was on this due to my increased test levels" you know clearly this stuff will replace steroids, but yet their products not only don't live up to their claims, they don't even come close. I know a lot of people really don't care for their mag or false marketing hype.

However, if that's the article on Pavel where they talk about doing Janda situps and such, then it is actually one of the most useful articles I've ever read.

T-mag, however, is cr*p.

Iron

Ford Prefect Guest
    Hey dude,

I agree 100%. I think some of Poliquin's and King's articles are good BB references though. Janda's are mentioned in this article, but they also made a reference to a different article that was about ab training.

"Who's house?"
    "I said RUN's house."

Destrous9 Guest
    Well, just so you know I'm not a 78 pound weakling (and I don't sell supplements)... :D

"Deep down inside of all of us is the power to accomplish what we want to, if we'll just stop looking elsewhere."
    Internal Arts Message Board

Destrous9 Guest
    Oops, forgot I posted a pic earlier. Chalk another one up to lack of sleep (work). :o

"Deep down inside of all of us is the power to accomplish what we want to, if we'll just stop looking elsewhere."
    Internal Arts Message Board

qeySuS Guest
    Well since everyone has got me hyped up :) I think i'll post what i am thinking about. i HATE to lift weights :) But i still think i could go and do it if i have some agenda to get stronger like i really want to know, however all these excersizes you mention seem to involve a LOT of muscle growth, and wouldnt that make me heavy as hell? I know this may sound weird but i dont want to gain too much muscle, although i can take on at least 10Kgs without worrying. But the reason i ask is because i will be competing in TKD tournements and i have to worry about weightclasses, and the last thing i want is to go into the heavyweight devision. I'd also like to know what a deadlift is :) I recognized most of the other excersizes being mentioned. And also will this all work when i have no lifting partner? I really dont think i can get myself a weight lifting partner cause i'm pretty new both at my gym and at my neighborhood. Replies greatly appreciated :)

Free thinkers are dangerous.

IronFist Guest

Lifting weights, vs. getting big

"But i still think i could go and do it if i have some agenda to get stronger like i really want to know, however all these excersizes you mention seem to involve a LOT of muscle growth, and wouldnt that make me heavy as hell? "

I'm a personal trainer here at my college, and I like to tell people this story who are afraid of lifting weights for fear that they'll get too big. I'll point to somoene who is lifting weights and I'll say "see that skinny guy over there? He's been coming here every other day for the past 3 years and he hasn't gotten any bigger at all."

The point is, training to be a bodybuilder (ie. adding SIZE as opposed to raw power) is a specific type of training. Not everyone who lifts weights wants to get big, and even fewer people who want to get big actually do :)

Isn't 10kgs like 20 or 30 pounds? Sorry, I'm over here in America and they don't teach us metric conversions, and I'm too lazy to go look it up. Well, 20 or 30 pounds of muscle is a good goal for a bodybuilder to add in a YEAR or so of training, if he trains hard, eats hard, rests hard, and knows exactly what he is doing. If you are training with weights to supplement your martial arts, you should have nothing to worry about. Besides, added mass like a bodybuilder doesn't come unless you eat like a bodybuilder. My point is, you are not eating like a bodybuilder unless you're consuming upwards of 4 to 5,000 calories a day (unless you're on the juice, in which case it's up to 8,000 cal/day).

Bottom line(s):

Unless you are specifically trying to put on muscle mass, it's not going to happen (other than maybe a few pounds, tops).

You will, however, notice extended muscular endurance, and increased strength. Size will come, but slowly.

When you are lifting, especially if you have low bodyfat percentage, you will notice that you get a "pump" in whatever muscle you are training, say, biceps in this example. Your muscle will appear fuller and bigger. This happens because the muscle fills with blood during training. A few hours after the muscle will go back to it's normal size. Remember that growth occurs when you eat and sleep, and NOT in the weight room. Don't think that because your bicep gets big when you train it that it has now become that size.

Hope this helped. If you have any more questions just ask :D :D :D

Iron

qeySuS Guest
    Ok this sounds pretty cool and solid :) i'm seriously thinking of upping myself one weight class and get into the really hard one :) The only guy that was really hard at the last competition just moved up to the Advanced devision (there is beginner and advanced devision, after what belt you have). However you did not answer my question on what a deadlift is :) And also what is a Dumbell row? (english is not my 1st language :) aaand one more term, there's calves one day and hamstrings the other, i know what calves are, but i always thought hamstrings were the same thing :) Obviously i'm wrong, so if that could be explained to me i'm golden.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Ford Prefect Guest
    Qes,

Iron is right. Bodybuilding is a very specific way of lifting weights. When I was in college I had to remain very light to compete in boxing. I was 6' 142 lbs for 2 years straight while lifting. I had to be very careful about my training, but I was pretty good about not adding any extra mass. Since then, I've "bulked up" (if you can call 6' 170 lbs bulking up) to compete in Jiu-Jitsu tourney's at a weight that I'm comfortable with. If you know what you're doing, you can make consistent gains in strength with only gaining little if any weight at all. BTW, this is a deadlift:

http://www.biofitness.com/demo03.html

This is a clean pull: (i prefer this over the dl)

http://www.biofitness.com/demo36.html

Since Dest posted his, I'll post my extremely fuzzy pics. The first one, I'm on the right and the second one, I'm the one that's applying the choke.

"Who's house?"
    "I said RUN's house."

Lost_Disciple Guest
    TTT

Ahhhh, here we go... now I just gotta remember where he got that from. :)

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Robinf Guest
    First of all, I'd like to thank Destrous for posting this info way back when and Lost D for digging it back up.

Now a question. I understand you posted for powerlifting. For simple strength training, not wanting to get big, but simply to get stronger, does the waiting period of 5-6-7 days before working out a muscle group still stand?

I'm reengineering my workout to help me better. Right now, I think I'm over training a bit. I actually wrote out my workout in excel.

I'm thinking of going this way:

Mon, Thur: legs, glutes

Tues, Fri: arms, shoulders

Wed, Sat: abs, back

That'll provide me with the 72 hour minimum. Not to mention that I train TKD 5 days a week and train kung fu three - five days a week.

I think I'll start this one now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My goal, again, is to gain strength for better martial arts, injury healing and prevention, and--pullups.

Thanks,
    Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Well Powerlifting does not mean bulk; so most of his info is directly applicable. However, there are different levels of strength training. You can build strength on the program you posted, but it would be more for toning I think and not pure power. For power it's better to wait longer than shorter. imho

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

IronFist Guest
    For simple strength training, not wanting to get big, but simply to get stronger, does the waiting period of 5-6-7 days before working out a muscle group still stand?

It depends. Some programs work a muscle once a week, other 5 days a week (Pavel's Power to the People).

It depends on what your schedule looks like.

The reason for the long rest periods while bulking is becaues the muscle gets more torn up and needs longer to heal. That, and it hurts the days after, too.

Iron

Robinf Guest
    Thanks, Ironfist. That's the info I was looking for.

I just started loading more on my legs and boy am I sore. I'm going to try it at 2 days a week for the muscle groups and see how that goes.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Scarletmantis Guest
    If I were to use Destrous's wieght program for mass, would I have to tweak the reps per set (ie. lower the reps)?

"Master, here is a stick. Please beat me for my insolence." - KC Elbows