View Poll Results: Do you believe musical Kung-Fu is beneficial to CMA ?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 15.79%
  • No

11 57.89%
  • Don't really care either way.

5 26.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical Kung Fu ? Is it just me ?

Musical Kung Fu ? Is it just me ?

The first time I saw 'musical kung-fu', that is forms done to music, I figured that like disco music it would go away as people regained their senses.

To my horror not only has it not gone away but the reverse -- it has grown in popularity and I am seeing it more and more in tournaments and events.

In fact, like an insidious virus, is has infected one of the clubs where I train. Where we once had students practicing iron form we now have young divas prancing about while flayling their martial arts to Britney Spears... and this has been deemed as acceptable behaviour.

Is it just me ? Am I getting old ? Granted I started MA in the early 70's so am getting on. I don't get it -- what earthly purpose is there in playing your forms to music ? IMO this reduces precious MA to mere choreography.

Regards,
    UM.
    Last edited by ursa major; 02-07-2003 at 11:25 AM.

It's cheesy, but as long as the music has the same timing as the form, I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunately, the rhythms are rarely the same.

The handy thing about slow music to practice slow forms to is it reminds you to slow down more than you might normally. I've played around with the idea of writing a song based around the timing of the internal form of my system, one version with fa jing, one without. But then, I'm a stinking hippy. Something really mellow, but the version with fa jing would have these sudden crescendoes.

It's not just you. I'm new to this, and find the idea of music playing during forms competitions to be silly, distracting, and pandering to people who are more interested in seeing some kind of dance than martial art.

And I do tai chi!

Then again, I don't think very highly of forms competitions regardless of musical accompaniment.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I agree, I just think it can be a useful tool while learning. That's not why it's used in competition, there it's just an attempt at showmanship. And usually, like I said, the rhythm is all messed up. That's the problem: while forms don't always have a funky rhythm, the odds of finding a song where the rhythms, including all the dramatic moves/fa jings, are anywhere close to one and the same, so some people seem to like either lame dance beat, or really mellow music where most people can't discern the beat, either of which is lame.

It's just the odds of finding a song to match the form is zero, so unless you're a musician, you're stuck with at best good form poorly matched with music, which is bad showmanship, and since showmanship was the goal in competition, you're better off just doing good form by itself.

One of the best push hands players I've met recommended two things for good relaxed internal skill. Slow music was the first one. Gene, pass the second one.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 02-07-2003 at 11:41 AM.

I consider it a catch 22 while learning.

If the music is prominent enough to hear, it will more likely distract than aid. (Learning is too spontaneous and unpredictable for recorded music to be an important tool - live improvised music as in capoeira might be a different story, but I don't think we're talking about that since capoeira a - doesn't have forms and b - is almost as much improvisational dance as martial art.)

If the music isn't prominent enough to hear, it won't have any effect at all.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

for me i dont mind... there have been creative kata competitions in karate for many years - even to music. To me, like wushu - great atheletes, especially if u can make a routine to the music. its like floor gymnastics.

they deserve props, but again, its different from fighting skill

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I occasionally practice tai chi to 'spinning plates' by radiohead.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

CSN,
    I think when the lessons actually going on(i.e. teacher showing student something), music is very intrusive and counter productive. But when the student is doing form, it can help, because most students that do slow forms tend to speed up and such. If they know where they're supposed to be at the bridge(speaking musically), and they aren't there yet, or passed it, they become aware of a problem.

However, I think it's sort of like mirrors. Ultimately, you don't need either. Even if you see all your problems in a mirror and address them, until you don't need the mirror to know whether and where your body mechanics are off, you don't have kung fu.

So, it's just a tool, but not a requirement.

I like radiohead, as well as some tool for workouts. I'll also use Passion(Peter Gabriel), and the CTHD soundtrack. I don't usually do externals to music, but King Crimson is fun, if distracting at times(you're really not supposed to shout thela hun ginjeet when you attack, at least that's what my sifu says)

Smile

Maybe you can introduce Kung Fu mixed with Performance Art
    I can see it now: spouting bad poetry while doing taiji, weird jump-cut videos in the background, a jar of urine on the floor....with a yin yang symbol in it...

Hey- there's an idea!!
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

We could get grants for that sort of project, ZIM!

Nice touch with the urine.

CSN, you're the artist, let's get moving on this. I'll provide the urine. ZIM, you photocopy your nipples. Euler, do you have any problem working with eels?

sniff - performance art isn't what I do. Thats (tone of incredible disdain) theater. I, on the other hand, PAINT! and DRAW! Such an ephemeral approach to creation is not for me. I create art objects and artifacts that will last forEVER!

dangit, this papers going yellow.
    Crippled Avenger

All right, paint something for me to pee on.

Smile

Well, maybe CSN can stick a bullwhip up his butt and photograph that for the project...

Which nipples you want?
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

"Which nipples you want?"

All three of them.

Where's those **** eels?